• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Mani 2 Review (Phono Stage)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 92 52.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 55 31.6%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just a little inside baseball. I hooked up a Mani 2 to our AP we have in Texas. One is A weighted and one without. You can also see how we measured it. Hope that helps as well.

View attachment 188879
View attachment 188880
Thanks for posting those. Your input level is higher so makes SINAD better (noise becomes lesser portion). I use 5 mv per what I wrote up in the review.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting those. Your input level is higher so makes SINAD better (noise becomes lesser portion). I use 5 mv per what I wrote up in the review.
So the Cambridge Duo is tested at ~11mV input?

Wondering how it would do at the 5mV as that is what most cartridges output tend to output?

Toroid

So the Cambridge Duo is tested at ~11mV input?

Wondering how it would do at the 5mV as that is what most cartridges output tend to output?
Good catch! (Likely was before Amir settled on 5mv) Might be good to have Amir measure the DUO again if he's willing, since this has implications of who is the king of the hill phono.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pinpoint_oxford

Coax for analog tough? Or is it a non debate… Yes mod, feel free to remove that I won’t hold one bit of gripe. In all case it doesn’t seem to hurt the measurments…
I might be mistaken, but I don't believe the spec on RCA analog/digital is any difference so using the "digital" version of the cable is simply a matter of the color orange rather than red/white.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I might be mistaken, but I don't believe the spec on RCA analog/digital is any difference so using the "digital" version of the cable is simply a matter of the color orange rather than red/white.
Tipically BJC use starquad for regular RCA, Digital should be 75 ohm coax transmission line. Not that it should make a difference, those are the coax.

Kahooli

50hz hum dominates sinad? O shit :)
They are not able to design simple PS?
You don't even need to design. You just use aTPS7A4701RGW from TI if youre using under 1A. They also make a neg linear thats in a similar performance range.

Kahooli

You don't even need to design. You just use aTPS7A4701RGW from TI if youre using under 1A. They also make a neg linear thats in a similar performance range.
Though... you definitely pay for the privilege to use them. My industry is not cost sensitive.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tipically BJC use starquad for regular RCA, Digital should be 75 ohm coax transmission line. Not that it should make a difference, those are the coax.
BJC uses LC-1 coax typically for analog RCA, but these are likely other Belden cables since the Canare plugs are affixed with orange boots. These are probably Belden 1505F coax since it's more flexible and more durable for lots of plugging and unplugging cycles. Completely fine for short runs of analog, too. I have this same cable type.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone serious about records and record collecting needs the following preamplification features:

1) mono switch.

2) balance control.

3) subsonic filter.

Also helpful, is the ability to switch to left or right channel exclusively, although that is not as important as the others cited above.

Unfortunately, many preamps are not equipped with these features. It may be due to cost, and it might be due to the prevalence of digital sources, which make them superfluous, or if you need them, they can be done in software. In the days of analog, almost every preamplifier had them. If I was looking in the one hundred and fifty dollar range, this little box would be on my short list.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I’m in Corpus today. Can I pick one up?
A friend wants a Lokius as well.
I honestly am not sure what our stock is looking like right now as we are selling them as fast as we can build them. An generally speaking, we don;t have people pick up units at the shop. Lokius should be in stock.

If I ever set up a listening room in Texas, I'll make sure to let everyone know.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly am not sure what our stock is looking like right now as we are selling them as fast as we can build them. An generally speaking, we don;t have people pick up units at the shop. Lokius should be in stock.

If I ever set up a listening room in Texas, I'll make sure to let everyone know.
Thanks

Yes, I wish there were a storefront being as close as I am. My buddy (he’s in DFW area) ordered a Lokius and said there was a delay on delivery but maybe because he’s wanting the black version.

Top Bottom