• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magnius - New Balanced Headphone Amp/Pre Amp

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.schiit.com/products/magnius
1597156898841.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit AP report here.

Now this is a killer looking stack for 400 usd.

magnius%20insitu%201920.jpg

Last edited:

MarsianC#

Looks like Schiit to me :)
Why the hell would one publish 133 pages of AP madmess?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hope we will have measurements from Amir. Seems like good product and price. It's early but stacked with Modius this thing literally kills everything. Schiit selling gear cheaper than Chinese brands big accomplishment if you ask me.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Now that's really nice. Sure wish it had a bit more power. But it measures excellent, looks great. Wish it had a remote but I can deal with that as the Freya S has a remote

garbulky

Major Contributor
I'm very happy they got this out. Maybe this will prompt Emotiva to finally get off their butt and release their class A balanced headphone amp.
On Jason's blog he described achieving a low distortion amp as easy. Yeah right, that's why for some reason most companies did not have low distortion amps until recently? Take the win, but I doubt it was easy. if It was easy, they would have done it from the beginning. Nothing wrong with calling the achievement hard.

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit talking a big game about this on Head Fi as well. @amirm did they send you one to review?

Edit: he was one of the first apparently :)

Last edited:

Infernosaint

Well, I just got a Modius, to go with my A90.. I will be a bit sad if this comes anywhere near at that price. But great to see Schiit bringing the competition!

TimW

Major Contributor
Is it me or does the Schiit Modius logo in that stack look crooked?

I have a Schiit Hel I use for conference calls and music listening at work. The rough black finish on it, which looks to be the same finish as the Schiit stack above, is not great. There are some pin holes where I can see metal underneath and the logos are not as crisp as they are on the silver Schiit I've owned. I would buy the silver finish option if you can.

Also my Hel has a scratchy volume pot in the right channel only. Very annoying.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, might be time to replace my Modi Multibit and Saga on my desktop so I dont have to hook up my separate headphone amp when I want to use them. A break even if I sell those.

OP
Racheski

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it me or does the Schiit Modius logo in that stack look crooked?

I have a Schiit Hel I use for conference calls and music listening at work. The rough black finish on it, which looks to be the same finish as the Schiit stack above, is not great. There are some pin holes where I can see metal underneath and the logos are not as crisp as they are on the silver Schiit I've owned. I would buy the silver finish option if you can.

Also my Hel has a scratchy volume pot in the right channel only. Very annoying.
Strangely, there is no silver option so far. If I was an owner of a silver Modius I would be annoyed.
Edit: Jason Stoddard confirmed there will be no silver version. It was a conscious decision to keep prices low.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
TPA6120A nested feedback amp. Balanced and SE in and out, nice ALPS blue velvet pot. $ 200.- ??

NICE

Veri

Master Contributor
TPA6120A nested feedback amp. Balanced and SE in and out, nice ALPS blue velvet pot. $ 200.- ??

I do feel like they were somewhat inspired by A90/L30. I mean the TPA part is old yet suddenly we have all of these nested feedback amps on the market? :D @JohnYang1997 cracked the code but I guess it's no longer a secret now

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I do feel like they were somewhat inspired by A90/L30. I mean the TPA part is old yet suddenly we have all of these nested feedback amps on the market? :D @JohnYang1997 cracked the code but I guess it's no longer a secret now
Tom's design was earlier. And all three of us are actually quite different in the details. Tom's 6120 is in inverting configuration. And no true balanced output. A90 is straightforward non-inverting configuration but with open loop gain and noise performance optimized. Magnius is fully differential with lme49724 (was also used in neurochrome mod-86). Of course I think mine is the best but different design ultimately have different benefits. I just think my circuit was pushed a little more to the edge. (refer to 50mV SNR)

Veri

Master Contributor
Of course I think mine is the best but different design ultimately have different benefits. I just think my circuit was pushed a little more to the edge. (refer to 50mV SNR)
It does seem like yours is lowest noise. :p:cool:

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tom's design was earlier. And all three of us are actually quite different in the details. Tom's 6120 is in inverting configuration. And no true balanced output. A90 is straightforward non-inverting configuration but with open loop gain and noise performance optimized. Magnius is fully differential with lme49724 (was also used in neurochrome mod-86). Of course I think mine is the best but different design ultimately have different benefits. I just think my circuit was pushed a little more to the edge. (refer to 50mV SNR)
Problem is this only $60 more than l30 and $300 less than a90.

Top Bottom