• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

Zensō

Major Contributor
It hasnt given me any trouble. I just unplug my headphones when I turn on my speaker amp and turn off my speaker amp when I want to listen to headphones. I prefer that all the preamp outputs stay on because I sometimes run multiple speaker amps and I can just switch them on when I want to use them. I guess it depends on your setup.

I use powered studio monitors, each with their own power switch. That would drive me crazy.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use powered studio monitors, each with their own power switch. That would drive me crazy.
I see. You could look at a power trigger for the monitors, a clean xlr selector like that nobsound, or a different headphone amp / preamp.

armigo

Forum Donor
As an addendum to the previous post, for customs reasons, we are not allowed to provide a shipping label out side of the US. In cases like these the customers ships back the unit and once the tracking information has been verified, we immediately refund your shipping cost. This has been our policy since we started the company. If you want to return a damaged or non operational unit, it will not cost you a cent.

Sorry for my late reply. If what your writing was the case that would be totally fine but I send the tracking code to the customer support last Thursday and did not get any response. In general communication been abysmal I always had to ask three times before getting a proper answer and the return procedure is still not clear to me. At some point your support said the replacement would be send out as soon as the tracking was active. Now I paid for the shipping and haven't heard for you in four days (excluding the weekend). I am really happy with all the previous Shiit product I purchased, but my first encounter with your support hasn't been so great that is not to say more inline with your naming scheme. I don't want make a big fuss, I just want to finally use my Modius/Magnius set up. I hope people can relate that I am getting a bit inpatient.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for my late reply. If what your writing was the case that would be totally fine but I send the tracking code to the customer support last Thursday and did not get any response. In general communication been abysmal I always had to ask three times before getting a proper answer and the return procedure is still not clear to me. At some point your support said the replacement would be send out as soon as the tracking was active. Now I paid for the shipping and haven't heard for you in four days (excluding the weekend). I am really happy with all the previous Shiit product I purchased, but my first encounter with your support hasn't been so great that is not to say more inline with your naming scheme. I don't want make a big fuss, I just want to finally use my Modius/Magnius set up. I hope people can relate that I am getting a bit inpatient.
Sounds like a good thing for you to address in a private message conversation for now, and then, if you feel like your experience is relevant to others later on, maybe share a summary here publicly at the end. I don't really care about the details of your tracking numbers, timing of email etc., but I might be interested in the conclusion of this story.

Edit: I probably don't care about the conclusion either, but maybe other Europeans will.

armigo

Forum Donor
Sounds like a good thing for you to address in a private message conversation for now, and then, if you feel like your experience is relevant to others later on, maybe share a summary here publicly at the end. I don't really care about the details of your tracking numbers, timing of email etc., but I might be interested in the conclusion of this story.

Edit: I probably don't care about the conclusion either, but maybe other Europeans will.

I thought the customer experience is also part of the product to a large extend especially when you're located in Europe and considering buying a product that is only available from the US. Either way I won't bore you with any more unnecessary details. Shiit got back to me, shipped a replacement and was really nice trough the process (despite the fact that I to be honest haven't always been throughout). Now I can't wait for my new unit and in the end my warning was given a bit too quickly.

Last edited:

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I thought the customer experience is also part of the product to a large extend especially when you're located in Europe and considering buying a product that is only available from the US. Either way I won't bore you with any more unnecessary details. Shiit got back to me, shipped a replacement and was really nice trough the process (despite the fact that I to be honest haven't always been throughout). Now I can't wait for my new unit and in the end my warning was given a bit too quickly.
Glad we could fix that problem for you. :)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most products, including this one, are bundled with certain services. I am not sure I would use the word "experience" to describe what you purchased, in addition to an amp in a box, for $199 plus whatever the carriers and government took. Part of the service is certainly a promise of reasonable effort to get you a product that is not defective, but it isn't a Disneyland ticket.

I am glad it is working out.

tential

@T.M.Noble great work man. Yall really showed great talent here. I'm extremely impressed. Rare to see a company see a community complain and show them up like this. Just wow....

Nice.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
@T.M.Noble great work man. Yall really showed great talent here. I'm extremely impressed. Rare to see a company see a community complain and show them up like this. Just wow....

Nice.
Really not about showing someone up. Just good business. If your products don't work for a section of the market, why wouldn't you shift strategy and make something for them as well? I'm just glad we can keep making cool stuff and having a good time in the process.

Cheers.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, mine died after 2 months of use. Hopefully this is not a product issue and just a one-off
Headphone amp died. Preamp still functions.
Schiit was kind enough to accept the return (sarcasm) but i get to foot the bill for the shipping and insurance .... just like PSAudio (and many other companies)

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Sadly, mine died after 2 months of use. Hopefully this is not a product issue and just a one-off
Headphone amp died. Preamp still functions.
Schiit was kind enough to accept the return (sarcasm) but i get to foot the bill for the shipping and insurance .... just like PSAudio (and many other companies)
If your product failed and needs to be returned, we do not charge any customer for shipping the product back for replacement. If you are in the US we send you a shipping label and if you are outside the US, the expense you pay to send it to us will be reimbursed.

Please let me know if that is not the case I and I will have the fixed immediately.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your product failed and needs to be returned, we do not charge any customer for shipping the product back for replacement. If you are in the US we send you a shipping label and if you are outside the US, the expense you pay to send it to us will be reimbursed.

Please let me know if that is not the case I and I will have the fixed immediately.
Thank you Mr Noble. I am curious why the email i received says differently. I am in the US btw

Here are the instructions i received
Sorry to hear you're having trouble! This is the first in a series of three emails you will receive to help keep you in the loop while your product is being repaired.

Your Return Authorization (RA) number is 27067

To start the repair process, ship your product within 7 days of receiving this email to:

Schiit Audio
Repair Department
24900 Anza Drive, Suite A
Valencia, CA 91355

Clearly mark the package with the RA number. Products received without RA numbers will be returned to the sender unopened.

Important:

1. Pack in the original packaging, or pack securely in alternate packaging, using plenty of packing foam as a buffer for shipping damage. Dropping a product in a USPS padded envelope or wrapping it in some newspaper and dropping it a loose box are not proper packaging.

2. Insure your shipment. We will not be responsible for products lost or damaged in shipping back to us.

3. We do not need any cables, tubes, manuals, accessories, wall-warts, power conditioners, cookies, dead animals, handmade art products, or anything other than the product itself, so please don't ship anything else back to us. We are not responsible for additional materials sent back to us.

When we receive your product, you'll get another email to confirm we've gotten it, and a final email when it's repaired and on its way back to you.

All the best,
Schiit Audio

KTN46

Thank you Mr Noble. I am curious why the email i received says differently. I am in the US btw

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! This is the first in a series of three emails you will receive to help keep you in the loop while your product is being repaired.

To start the repair process, ship your product within 7 days of receiving this email to:

Schiit Audio
Repair Department
Valencia, CA 91355

Clearly mark the package with the RA number. Products received without RA numbers will be returned to the sender unopened.

Important:

1. Pack in the original packaging, or pack securely in alternate packaging, using plenty of packing foam as a buffer for shipping damage. Dropping a product in a USPS padded envelope or wrapping it in some newspaper and dropping it a loose box are not proper packaging.

2. Insure your shipment. We will not be responsible for products lost or damaged in shipping back to us.

3. We do not need any cables, tubes, manuals, accessories, wall-warts, power conditioners, cookies, dead animals, handmade art products, or anything other than the product itself, so please don't ship anything else back to us. We are not responsible for additional materials sent back to us.

When we receive your product, you'll get another email to confirm we've gotten it, and a final email when it's repaired and on its way back to you.

All the best,
Schiit Audio

Australian here, when I RMA-ed my Fulla I was reimbursed for the full(a) amount of shipping. Schiit were responsive and polite.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

Schiit Audio
Repair Department
Valencia, CA 91355

Important:

All the best,
Schiit Audio
Will you send me a private message with your name and order info? I would love to look this up and get this corrected for you.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just added a Magnius to my collection... :-D

I’m spending some time with it at my home work desk... And deciding which one to keep in that role... A90 also sounds excellent, but not identical subjectively... Tough choice...

8E3E8EE9-DE62-4BFD-8E7C-4219899CA915.jpeg

gvl

Major Contributor
What purpose does the Matrix SPDIF serve here?

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, AES. A little redundant, I know, but I find the sound is subjectively a little smoother, more “natural”. I originally bought it for my Genelec 8351B’s to convert USB from my computer to AES, but tried on other systems with stand alone DACs and preferred over USB. I have 2 now...

This is how the connections look like:
FB796217-9178-4092-83C3-CF99289DCBE4.jpeg

And at the computer:
B429ABAC-F28B-4161-96AC-50A08C64D049.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom