• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

Vasr

Major Contributor
I actually think the SE sounds great. The analyzer just doesn't like it as much. Maybe one day I can buy robot ears. ;)

Oooooohhhhhh. Now you have done it and inviting the wrath of the denizens upon you with your heresy. @March Audio will be here shortly to ask you to "go away". :p

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Why even include the unbalanced outputs then, if the performance is so wildly different?

I think Amir's measurements here are charitable, in that they just show elevated levels of second harmonic distortion, which might be less audible. But the intermodulation distortion (IMD) performance is also pretty poor in unbalanced, as shown in the AP measurements posted on Schiit's website.

This is a lot like the Bifrost 2... harmonic distortion measures ok, but IMD tells quite a different story.
In case you wanted to use an SE headphone? Honestly, don't buy this if the SE measurements bug you. This product isn't meant for you. We wanted a balanced beast and we made one.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
94 db is still great performance, Easily inaudible during music so no need to leave it out.

The 94dB THD number is misleading. IMD is specced at -73dB at 1V RMS into 32 ohms, CCIF, and the full measurements show similar levels of distortion at lower power levels. That's approaching audible levels of distortion territory in my books. (This isn't the thread for arguing distortion thresholds, so I won't engage on what exactly is audible. But these IMD levels are objectively poor.)

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Why can’t people just read one of these reviews and think to themselves, “ah, I see unbalanced doesn’t measure as well as balanced so this otherwise fine product is not the product for me” and move on? Challenging Amir’s conclusions has become a sport. :facepalm:

odyo

Not a THX 789 killer alone but together with Modius and balanced usage this schiit is killing it. But man shipping cost is ridiculous with these. These are almost USA only products.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ah, so the single ended output had "warmth and character" and the balanced output is "sterile and lifeless?"
Brilliant marketing, no? Catering to both objectivists and subjectivists with the same product. ;)
In all honesty, if any of the outputs sounds "better-er" it will be the balanced output. Just so that there are no misconceptions here ;) I wouldn't buy this amp just to use it on the SE output. Like said above, with its meager IMD specs (check schiit's AP report), it is bordering on being audible... so if you have balanced cabled 'phones, you'd be mad not to use the 4-pin XLR.

By the way, congratulations to Schiit on using real Neutrik connector and Alps pot, while staying in the budget camp. That explains why SE output is not as good, and to be honest, as this is marketed as a balanced amp I would say it's a good trade-off. Let's not forget this is SE/balanced in, SE/balanced out with pre-amp function! Very competitive...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The press release made a big deal out of the pot. You simply mentioned it was a bit stiff. Care to elaborate any further? Any inherent benefit or is it just marketing?
Well, some pots go out of balance early. This one doesn't. Other than this, I don't know what else to say about it. :)

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Things I like
  • Price Point ($199)
  • The Power (.75W HG Bal @ 300ohms)
  • Relatively small form factor (9x6x1.5in)
  • Extremely low HP output impedance
Things I don't like
  • External PS
  • No silver option
  • 1/4in headphone performance
  • On/Off switch on rear only
  • Pot Channel Imbalance
Things I don't like are very minor IMO, even the 1/4in headphone performance because this is clearly marketed and designed as a fully balanced amp. With that said, what I really don't like is the post on Head-Fi bragging about how easy it was to develop the Magnius. This is a big advertising "no-no" - the downside far outweighs the upside. Although the price is very very competitive for the features, claiming the Magnius was a breeze to bring to market opens Schiit up to all kinds of nit-picking and criticism that is now very well deserved.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Things I like
  • Price Point ($199)
  • The Power (.75W HG Bal @ 300ohms)
  • Relatively small form factor (9x6x1.5in)
  • Extremely low HP output impedance
Things I don't like
  • External PS
  • No silver option
  • 1/4in headphone performance
  • On/Off switch on rear only
  • Pot Channel Imbalance
Things I don't like are very minor IMO, even the 1/4in headphone performance because this is clearly marketed and designed as a fully balanced amp. With that said, what I really don't like is the post on Head-Fi bragging about how easy it was to develop the Magnius. This is a big advertising "no-no" - the downside far outweighs the upside. Although the price is very very competitive for the features, claiming the Magnius was a breeze to bring to market opens Schiit up to all kinds of nit-picking and criticism that is now very well deserved.

Fair enough. I think the point was that the technical challenges were not interesting to him. It's not exactly the product that stimulates him intellectually. There certainly is a difference between what we can/want to sell and what is technically challenging or boundary pushing.

Also, nit-picking in the audiophile community is essentially sport. It's the community pastime. Nit-pick away. This product isn't perfect. It's pretty damn good, though.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, nit-picking in the audiophile community is essentially sport. It's the community pastime. Nit-pick away. This product isn't perfect. It's pretty damn good, though.

Now *slow clap* to you, sir! That is exactly it.

Top Bottom