• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
94 db is still great performance, Easily inaudible during music so no need to leave it out.
I suspect if Jason wanted it to measure better it would.

I suspect Jason tried a version that measured better liked the way it sounded with the -94 config.

I'm just guessing of course with regards to Magnius.

But the Magni+ just released is said to measure worse than a version not chosen because no one liked how it sounded. The so-called Unity version that was supposed to be a discrete Magni that measures like a Heretic if you read the chapter.

I suppose it could be Jason couldn't figure out how to make it measure better.

Seems kind of unlikely though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect Schitt keep coming up with so many variations on a theme not to drive sales or make profit but to give Jason Stoddard something to write about in his interminable headfi blog.

ButteredToast

Pretty much in the same boat you are, as I just acquired some LCD2C and am interested in going fully balanced and upgrading from Magni Modi 2U.. did you come to a conclusion yet?
Nope, haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet. Work has kept me extra busy, so I’m still deliberating on my upgrade path. The newest wrinkle is that I have a 1k+ budget to play with now. So, I’m trying to decide between the magnius /modius stack for my current headphones or sticking with my thx 888 and e30, but upgrading to a focal elex or the LCD-2C’s…

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope, haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet. Work has kept me extra busy, so I’m still deliberating on my upgrade path. The newest wrinkle is that I have a 1k+ budget to play with now. So, I’m trying to decide between the magnius /modius stack for my current headphones or sticking with my thx 888 and e30, but upgrading to a focal elex or the LCD-2C’s…
I would go with the headphone upgrade. :D

JeffGB

I finally ordered a Schiit Magnius. I will use it primarily as a volume control between various balanced DAC's and a Crown XLS 1500 driving JBL A130's. It is from a PC and I am EQ'ing the speakers. Currently I am using a Schiit Heresy for the same purpose but it is plagued with RF, ground loops, etc in this location. I'm tired of moving cables and the location of my DAC but still having ground loop and RF problems. This is the sure fire fix. Review of my decision will be coming when I receive it, in a few days :).

gino1961

Hi sorry to jump in Anyone who has tried it as a balanced preamp?
Actually i have a dac with both XLR and rca outs and a power Amp with rca ins
I wonder if using the XLR ins could provide any benefit compared to a unbalanced line preamp

JeffGB

I received my Magnius this morning and have it connected to an SMSL DO100 balanced output and it is driving a Crown XLS 1500. There is no noise now, even with my ear to the JBL A130's, with the Crown gain controls set to maximum and the SMSL at 100%. Finally the RF/Ground loops have been defeated! The volume control is silent and smooth. As Amir found, it does feel stiff by comparison to smaller, stereo pots but there is also no play. The gain switch operates perfectly. For those wondering about using a balanced DAC to the Magnius and then RCA to an unbalanced amplifier, it works and I think the noise is a bit less than when I use single ended DAC to single ended amp and then power amp but no "perfection" in terms of eliminating ALL noise.

Now a quick comment about sound. I apologize for the subjective aspect of this comment but the sound is different than the Heresy used in the same configuration. It doesn't sound quite as clear in detail to me. Perhaps it's just a difference in the sound of the balanced cables vs the RCA cables :) jk.

Bottom line: it does exactly what I needed. It connects my balanced DAC's to the Crown XLS 1500 with no noise, even with my ear to the speakers and provides a really nice analog volume control. I'll be leaving it on 24/7 so perhaps the sound will change with burn-in, haha, sorry again :).

JeffGB

A bit of an update to my comments on the Magnius after having used it for a two weeks. I did some more experimentation with various DACs that have been a problem in my system with RF/ground loops. The balanced DAC's worked perfectly quietly when the balanced connection to the power amp was used. A balanced DAC in and RCA out to my power amp had noise, however single ended DACs I have connected to the Magnius via RCA were perfectly quiet when using the balance output of the Magnius to my power amp. This was a VERY nice surprise and gives me several older single ended DAC's to listen to.

This is good news for anyone that purchased a Crown XLS (for instance) and suddenly had noise issues they couldn't fix. Even a single ended DAC is perfect when connect through the Magnius and the Magnius is probably cheaper than many "solutions" such as transformers or "special" cables that may or may not actually fix the noise.

brunobm

Currently using a Topping DX3 Pro+ to power my Clear MGs. Might get an Ananda or HD6XX/600 in the short term. Would there be a noticeable effect or benefit to switching to the Magnius?

Hapo

I think this is a legitimate criticism but there was a lot of thought that went into this. We only use one phase of the balanced output so there is no cancellation of distortion between phases. We could have made the SE measure the same but to be honest it adds parts which adds cost, we didn't like how it sounded when tested and frankly we have an awesome SE amp in Hersey. We made an extraordinary balanced amp at a very competitive price. If you want SE performance, save yourself a hundred bucks and buy Heresy.

...this sounds like a cop out to me and is the sort of arrogance that puts me off the brand...

...I was strongly considering this device, but I want to use the RCA and the TSR out at the same time...

Hapo

...I have talked to some folks there and I won't say they were rude but there was a fuk off vibe...

...I've seen a lot of people had the same issue with the volume control on a preamp that I did...

...I guess it is normal...normal for them to tell us to take it or leave it, eh...

...I have not written them off...I might buy more Schiit...if I am still allowed...

Hapo

I suspect if Jason wanted it to measure better it would.

I suspect Jason tried a version that measured better liked the way it sounded with the -94 config.

I'm just guessing of course with regards to Magnius.

But the Magni+ just released is said to measure worse than a version not chosen because no one liked how it sounded. The so-called Unity version that was supposed to be a discrete Magni that measures like a Heretic if you read the chapter.

I suppose it could be Jason couldn't figure out how to make it measure better.

Seems kind of unlikely though.

...I want to employ the Magnius as a preamp and use the RCA out to run a pair of SVS SB 200 subwoofers...maybe the decline won't matter...or would it matter more...???...

...if the RCA was any diffentnt (better) than the 1/4 out I would be OK with that...I don't care aboot the 1/4 out...but why would it be....???...is it not the same circurt...???...

6097392_300.jpg

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
...this sounds like a cop out to me and is the sort of arrogance that puts me off the brand...

...I was strongly considering this device, but I want to use the RCA and the TSR out at the same time...
I find your accusation of arrogance curious. We made a product that you consider flawed. I explained the thought process behind our choices and offered an alternative. If that also does not fit you, then I am sorry but we don't have a product for your needs.

No arrogance here. We just build what we like. If you like it to, buy and enjoy.

Ellipsis, ellipsis, ellipsis.

That part was a joke. ;)

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
...I have talked to some folks there and I won't say they were rude but there was a fuk off vibe...

...I've seen a lot of people had the same issue with the volume control on a preamp that I did...

...I guess it is normal...normal for them to tell us to take it or leave it, eh...

...I have not written them off...I might buy more Schiit...if I am still allowed...
You are welcome to purchase our gear as long as you have not abused our customer service staff. We do not stand for that.

The entire reason Schiit exists is because of a loyal customer base. We couldn't exist if our policy was dismissive.

"Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them." A little nerd bona fides for ya.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Hapo I run the Magni Heresy and it has beaucoup power. I backed off on the volume control max setting because it is plenty loud and I'm a headbanger when I put on the headphones. I never turn it off, It just sits behind the monitor and does what it is supposed to do and no issues. I recommend it as a good amp. :D

Hapo

You are welcome to purchase our gear as long as you have not abused our customer service staff. We do not stand for that.

The entire reason Schiit exists is because of a loyal customer base. We couldn't exist if our policy was dismissive.

"Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them." A little nerd bona fides for ya.

...I won't say I felt abused, but I felt it was the other way around as far as any "attitude" displayed...

...your site still lists an order I cancelled but the orders I've made are nowhere to be found in my account...

...I felt singled out because I dare to criticize the Volume control on the Sega S you sent me...

...I prefer solutions to excuses as to why flaws are OK...

...IMHO there is no excuse for an audible and tactile step in the gain (right where you notice it most) and the inability to actually achieve ZERO gain...

...yet we are told it is OK because it is "normal"...normal for that run of parts you are using, eh...

...this is why I have not and will not buy the Freya S...some people are having the same sort of issue with that and being told the same Schiit...

...I have had no issues with the little Schiit headphone amp I am using in conjunction with a SYS as a preamp...

...I figgered I might take a chance on the Magnius for a balanced version that two outputs...it seems to be just aboot what I need and well priced...

...I might never actually use it with headphones...

4iiqpa.jpg

Last edited:

Hapo

...I want to employ the Magnius as a preamp and use the RCA out to run a pair of SVS SB 200 subwoofers...maybe the decline won't matter...or would it matter more...???...

...if the RCA was any diffentnt (better) than the 1/4 out I would be OK with that...I don't care aboot the 1/4 out...but why would it be....???...is it not the same circurt...???...

6097392_300.jpg

...addressing this would go further towards getting my $$$ than more add copy...

Hapo

@Hapo I run the Magni Heresy and it has beaucoup power. I backed off on the volume control max setting because it is plenty loud and I'm a headbanger when I put on the headphones. I never turn it off, It just sits behind the monitor and does what it is supposed to do and no issues. I recommend it as a good amp. :D

...thanks but can I really trust your advise...?!?...you have less "likes" than you do posts...!?!... .!.:D.!.

Last edited:

Hapo

I find your accusation of arrogance curious. We made a product that you consider flawed. I explained the thought process behind our choices and offered an alternative. If that also does not fit you, then I am sorry but we don't have a product for your needs.

No arrogance here. We just build what we like. If you like it too, buy and enjoy.

Ellipsis, ellipsis, ellipsis.

That part was a joke. ;)

...arrogance meter 3.6...now I see where the staff gets it...LoL...

...you still have evaded simple questions...I assume I can assume the answers...???...

...Buckeye would never leave us hanging like that...

Last edited:
Top Bottom