• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni/Modi not producing sound

Sceptide8

For clarification, I use these with a pair of V-Moda M100 headphones, and I use Windows 7 64 bit home premium edition.

Earlier yesterday, whenever any audio was played on my computer, there was either a deafening static noise (that would persist even after I stopped playing the audio) or deafening static with some of the regular audio breaking through. After switching out the USB into a few different ports, I stopped hearing anything. I tried plugging my headphones into the regular headphone jack, and those worked, and when I played any audio with the Schiit stack set as the default audio device, sound settings would still detect audio being played (but I of course couldn't here anything). It also made no difference if I used a different USB cable. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but I kept running into the "Please connect the cmedia usb2.0 audio device" error message, which I could find no clear solutions on.

I thought something was wrong with the USB ports and the onboard sound, so I went and bought a USB hub to see if it made any difference- no luck. After speaking to support at a Micro Center, they emphasized this is most likely a driver issue. I eventually came across this solution:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...view-head-fi-tv.818323/page-209#post-13103026

I wasn't able to install the CMUACWO.inf file though ("The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" is the error I get), but I did uninstall the Modi driver. Still no luck with the cmedia error. And when I'd merely unplug and replug the stack, it would reinstall the driver all on it's own. I'm not sure if manually reinstalling it is going to do anything.

There doesn't seem to be any issues with the cables, and I can't really tell if the drivers are the problem. I have nonetheless tried the stack with two different computers, and it works on both of them. But when it comes to my desktop, I'm really at a loss with what to do next other than contacting Schiit themselves. I have also encountered atleast one other person who experienced the loud static, though not in the order I did: h
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/9fzv6j/_/e60xez4

Sin Hizer

I have heard from multiple sources here and elsewhere that Schiit is indeed shit. But this seems like your issue. What versions were the other two computers running?

Hypnotoad

I feel the OP's pain as I had all sorts of problems getting my DAC to work properly in Windows, and this sort of thing is why I am so glad I dumped Windows altogether.

OP
S

Sceptide8

I have heard from multiple sources here and elsewhere that Schiit is indeed shit. But this seems like your issue. What versions were the other two computers running?

Sin Hizer: One of them runs Windows 7 Home Premium as well, the other is Chrome OS.

try opening device manager on your computer and check the usb controllers

As I mentioned, I uninstalled the driver manually, but I wasn't able to reinstall it manually. It reinstalled on it's own once I unplugged it and plugged it back in. It's listed as working and up to date.

Theo

It seems that you have three solutions :
- reinstall Windows or buy a new PC with Windows 10
- buy a Mac
- buy a new DAC

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wasn't able to install the CMUACWO.inf file though ("The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" is the error I get), but I did uninstall the Modi driver. Still no luck with the cmedia error. And when I'd merely unplug and replug the stack, it would reinstall the driver all on it's own. I'm not sure if manually reinstalling it is going to do anything.
Did you get the windows 7/8 drivers? You can't use the win10 drivers. I'm just asking to make sure.
There are two of them 1.16 and 1.03
https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/drivers/Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16.zip
https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/drivers/Schiit_USB_1_03.zip

OP
S

Sceptide8

Thanks, but I don't think that readily tells me anything new. The Modi always detects as being plugged in and working.

It seems that you have three solutions :
- reinstall Windows or buy a new PC with Windows 10
- buy a Mac
- buy a new DAC

Or I can upgrade to Windows 10. I reformatted this drive not too long ago and I've put off doing that. That might work, but I haven't readily seen that as a solution.

Did you get the windows 7/8 drivers? You can't use the win10 drivers. I'm just asking to make sure.
There are two of them 1.16 and 1.03
https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/drivers/Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16.zip
https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/drivers/Schiit_USB_1_03.zip

Any of those downloads includes drivers for all 3 OS's, and I've made sure to use only Windows 7.

OP
S

Sceptide8

I fixed it. Merely upgrading it to Windows 10 caused the AMP/DAC to work again.

The problem is that there's apparently nothing precluding this issue from occurring again, as most of the results for this and similar issues concerned Windows 10.

I guess I'll confront that when that does occur.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Or I can upgrade to Windows 10. I reformatted this drive not too long ago and I've put off doing that. That might work, but I haven't readily seen that as a solution.
NM.

bravomail

Windows 10 has native Microsoft-written driver for all USB audio. That driver works much better than buggy vendor implementations. Similar driver decades ago was adapted by Linux and MacOS.

Hypnotoad

Windows 10 has native Microsoft-written driver for all USB audio. That driver works much better than buggy vendor implementations. Similar driver decades ago was adapted by Linux and MacOS.

I got rid of Windows 10 on my music server PC and installed Ubuntu (Linux) and haven't looked back, then I put a SSD drive in my wife's laptop and installed Ubuntu on it and she loves it, then I put Ubuntu on a second drive on my main PC. I use ALSA not sure what it does but it works a treat.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I got rid of Windows 10 on my music server PC and installed Ubuntu (Linux) and haven't looked back, then I put a SSD drive in my wife's laptop and installed Ubuntu on it and she loves it, then I put Ubuntu on a second drive on my main PC. I use ALSA not sure what it does but it works a treat.

Indeed, however make sure you disable PulseAudio otherwise it scrambles the bit-perfect flow.
Only ALSA should be active, not both.
Do not remove PulseAudio but simply disable it.

Last but not least, make sure you select the ALSA output in your player settings.

BTW, what player are you using ?

Hypnotoad

Indeed, however make sure you disable PulseAudio otherwise it scrambles the bit-perfect flow.
Only ALSA should be active, not both.
Do not remove PulseAudio but simply disable it.

Last but not least, make sure you select the ALSA output in your player settings.

BTW, what player are you using ?

How do I disable PulseAudio?

I figured it out, the volume control has disappeared now, thanks.

I'm using Audacious as a player and have ALSA selected in the output settings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom