• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I have the original Magni 3 but since then I've had the JDS Labs EL amp and now the SMSL SP200 THX amp. The Magni 3 was a good amp for $99 but I feel like you can get better ones in the same price range.

Schiit makes good stuff but they also have some things that are overrated, like the Modi Multibit which is not near as good as the Topping D50s or even the JDS Labs EL Dac and both cost the same as the Multibit.

Now I am clearly biased but I wouldn't consider that a fair comparison on our amp as the two you mentioned happen to be 2.5x the price. However, Magni Heresy and 3+ are our current models and they really can't be beat for the price.

Again, HIGHLY biased opinion.

Cirklon

Just picked up a Schitt Heresy from Amazon and was extremely disappointed to find out the red led on the front of the unit has been removed. That's right, there are ZERO visual indicators on the front of the unit to remind you it's powered on...

This is a not only a major design flaw but also false advertisement on Schitt's part as pictures on their website clearly show a red led placed between the volume and headphone jack.

Sorry Schitt, but this is unacceptable. I'll be returning my Heresy asap.

dwa

Just picked up a Schitt Heresy from Amazon and was extremely disappointed to find out the red led on the front of the unit has been removed. That's right, there are ZERO visual indicators on the front of the unit to remind you it's powered on...

This is a not only a major design flaw but also false advertisement on Schitt's part as pictures on their website clearly show a red led placed between the volume and headphone jack.

Can you make a photo of an area where led was supposed to be?

w1000i

Forum Donor

I had Hersey and found small issue, at some volume I have one channel having some hiss so I adjust the volume to get rid of it with IEM in low gain and with headphones AT HIGH GAIN.
Did you had the same issue

Robin L

Master Contributor
Really? This forum doesn’t have a dislike button? I’m immediately closing down my account. Sorry ASR, this is unacceptable!!
Seriously, dude. Like, where's the emoji's :mad:, man . . .

Cirklon

Can you make a photo of an area where led was supposed to be?

Please see the attached. This may seem petty to some, but coming from a Modi 2U/Magni 2U stack I see this a usability issue going forward and it may be an issue for others.

I think this forum NEED dislike button.

Facebook is that way.

I had Hersey and found small issue, at some volume I have one channel having some hiss so I adjust the volume to get rid of it with IEM in low gain and with headphones AT HIGH GAIN.
Did you had the same issue

sorry, didn't have time to test.

Attachments

• schitt_heresy.jpg
    schitt_heresy.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 468

dwa

Please see the attached. This may seem petty to some, but coming from a Modi 2U/Magni 2U stack I see this a usability issue going forward and it may be an issue for others.

Looks like Schiit cannot decide if they put this led or not. Magni 3+ on their European website has a led on US site it doesn't; Heresy has led on both sites...

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

Facebook is that way.

sorry, didn't have time to test.

Light is on the inside, shines through the top.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Looks like Schiit cannot decide if they put this led or not. Magni 3+ on their European website has a led on US site it doesn't; Heresy has led on both sites...
To clarify, 3+ had it on the front and heresy is internal. To my knowledge, moving forward, the led will be internal and shine through the top on future models.

Cirklon

Agreed, I was on the fence about the Heresy from the onset. Glad I purchased via Amazon so it can be returned hassle-free.

To clarify, 3+ had it on the front and heresy is internal. To my knowledge, moving forward, the led will be internal and shine through the top on future models.

What is the reasoning behind the change? I'm assuming cost(s) associated to parts and/or manufacturing? I really want to buy American, but between Schitt and JDS cutting corners to compete with the Chinese is only going to push customers away.

If stacked underneath you can't even see the led on the PCB which makes it pointless...

ONT101

Hi, got both the Magni 3+ and the Magni Heresy.

Totally non scientific review :)

Tidal with hardware MQA decoding, Meridian DAC and Amazon Ultra HD streaming and some DSD and FLAC files.

Headphones the HD 58X and the HE-4XX.

The 3+ sounds warmer (tube) and the Heresy is much tighter but can sound a little cold/lean.

There is to my ears a big difference in bass, on "Rose" by Manu Katche' Neighbourhood album MQA Tidal, it is tighter on the Heresy.

Norah Jones voice "Come With Me" Tidal MQA sounds more "alive" on 3+.

I like the Heresy better paired with the HD 58X and the 3+ better with the HE-4XX.

Snell model E III speakers with PRIMARE A32.2 Power AMP.

On low listening level the 3+ is more "alive" but the Heresy sounds stunning on higher listening levels.

On the PRO gear EV EKX-15P with EV EKX18P subs.

On commercial PA, lvl output 120db the Heresy hits like a 280 lb bouncer with a 2X4,
the 3+ gets to soft here at concert lvl.

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My Magni Heresy s/n 073H00254 has both the internal and front panel LEDs.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Agreed, I was on the fence about the Heresy from the onset. Glad I purchased via Amazon so it can be returned hassle-free.

What is the reasoning behind the change? I'm assuming cost(s) associated to parts and/or manufacturing? I really want to buy American, but between Schitt and JDS cutting corners to compete with the Chinese is only going to push customers away.

If stacked underneath you can't even see the led on the PCB which makes it pointless...
I am unsure why you would think this is cutting corners. It’s for ease of assembly. Lining up the led takes more time than you think. Generally, people place their amps on top of the stack for heat reasons. Also, we were confident that most people would know when the unit was on or not.

Apologies if the change isn’t to your liking but aesthetically we like the change.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Because 98% of headphone amps in this price range have an LED on the fascia and it's a feature/matter of convenience for end-users.

To be honest, your apology comes across as disingenuous and your take on this is rather arrogant. You could have easily accepted my feedback and moved along, but instead you tried to justify the change with an "ease of assembly" argument and making baseless assumptions knowing what's best for customers.

Thanks for making it so much easier when choosing your competitors over Schitt going forward!

Well, I did accept your feedback. I apologized that it was not to your liking and gave you the reason why we made the change. I made no assumption on what is best for any customer but gave you the thought process behind why we made the change. I am convinced that if someone is determined not to enjoy your product, very little I do or say will satisfy them.

Again, we made the change because effectively, the light shines though the top to show the unit is powered. We changed this because it dramatically impacted our assembly time positively while effectively accomplishing the same goal. If you are unsatisfied with this change, I definitely recommend you not purchase this product.

Cirklon

Well, I did accept your feedback. I apologized that it was not to your liking and gave you the reason why we made the change. I made no assumption on what is best for any customer but gave you the thought process behind why we made the change. I am convinced that if someone is determined not to enjoy your product, very little I do or say will satisfy them.

Again, we made the change because effectively, the light shines though the top to show the unit is powered. We changed this because it dramatically impacted our assembly time positively while effectively accomplishing the same goal. If you are unsatisfied with this change, I definitely recommend you not purchase this product.

Too late for that chief.

I've already purchased the Heresy and it's going back tomorrow because Schitt is providing false information on their website as well as Amazon.
But don't worry, I've reported the incorrect information with Amazon so hopefully it will be pulled until Schitt gets their act together and updates website/product listing.

You can thank me later. ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Too late for that chief.

I've already purchased the Heresy and it's going back tomorrow because Schitt is providing false information on their website as well as Amazon.
But don't worry, I've reported the incorrect information with Amazon so hopefully it will be pulled until Schitt gets their act together and updates website/product listing.

You can thank me later. ;)

Dude...seriously? What is your problem?

Top Bottom