• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

ClosDeLaRoche

I wonder if we'll get a Modi 3+ to compliment these amps.
That would be awesome as there is a touch of harmonic distortion to clear up with Modi 3. Although as is it sounds spectacular.

I would like to see Schiit add bluetooth and a remote to control volume to the Modi series. I would pay $200 for a Modi with these features! Maybe cut the Coax input and replace it with a bluetooth antennae?

Modi 3 really does sound excellent, I sold a pair of Bifrost 4490's for a pair of Modi 3's and do not regret it. Shockingly I think the Modi 3 sounds better. I'm very happy Schiit replaced the input select button with a switch, on some units that damn button would rattle. Also love that it can be powered by my computer and that performance is the same as if it was on wall power, this is very convenient for my use case.

Stonewatcher

I’m not referring to resolution such as macro and micro details in this case. It’s a subjective opinion but I’m referring to musical drive or subjectivist calls it “it doesn’t sound flat or boring when turned up loud or it starts to sound fizzled due to increased distortion from driving closed to max power. HD650 might sound flat at very loud volumes with just on board sound while Magni makes them sound like a night club music at loud volumes
This is a great analogy! I need to steal this when people say their laptop drives their HD650's just fine and they're "plenty loud". Yes, it's loud but it's not "full"

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is the Heresy as good or almost as the Benchmark HPA4 with none of his several features ?

Channel imbalance is obviously present with Magni due to volume pot while Benchmark uses relay stepped attenuator to attain perfect channel balance

Damian

Happy new year everyone. Is there any scenario in which buying a THX 789 at x4 the price of the Heresy would make sense?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Happy new year everyone. Is there any scenario in which buying a THX 789 at x4 the price of the Heresy would make sense?

Balanced DAC/Pre, balanced headphones, size, output power, looks, weight, bypass function, connectivity, gain choices, volume adjustment is easier to name but a few.

Damian

Balanced DAC/Pre, balanced headphones, size, output power, looks, weight, bypass function, connectivity, gain choices, volume adjustment is easier to name but a few.

thank you buddy, really good explanation! Which headphones will require such power that Heresy wouldn’t suffice?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
thank you buddy, really good explanation! Which headphones will require such power that Heresy wouldn’t suffice.

HE-6, Susvara, K1000, DT660, K120, some MyST orthos to realistically high levels perhaps. These would play fine on the Heresy to comfortably loud levels.

Those that want to use their headphones balanced and don't want to resort to XLR-TRS converters.

In all other cases, electrically there is no real reason unless you value DC protection.
The other mentioned reasons may be important to people other than decebalus.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
At this point no, but I just wonder, what is the balance option really for if there are no ground loops and the power on the Heresy seems sufficient?

Balanced out is really only important for low voltage portable gear that must power high impedance headphones or low impedance headphones with 3 wire cables. In most cases it would take modifications of the headphones themselves to make them balanced unless the headphone is dual entry.

So the other aspects mentioned are the only reasons to consider something other than Heresy or Magni 3+ or Atom or Archel2.

decebalus

At this point no, but I just wonder, what is the balance option really for if there are no ground loops and the power on the Heresy seems sufficient?
power wise plenty, i own a hybrid amp with 2w per channel and was able to drive with ease the Hifiman Arya just to give you a point of comparison, balanced doesn't not affect SQ, and then is bigger, bulky, requires mod cables, for me SE is the way with the classic 6.3mm because more robust. On paper at least, considering the measurements this amp is a beast but kept simple so no fancy features for which you have to pay $3000 with no gain when comes to SQ

Blur

Forum Donor
Ok, received my Heresy today. Initial impression is that it sounds identical to the Magni 3 I already have. This is NOT the Magni 3+. I love the sound, small footprint, color scheme, and little less aggressive low gain volume pot. Along those lines I get scratchy noises rotating the volume pot passed 50% in low gain on both amps. Not too unexpected for a $100 amp. The SP200 does not exhibit such scratchy noise, but has its own problems.

I tested it with some JH Audio 10x3 Pro IEM’s and they play well with the Heresy. I used ~20% of the volume on low gain. No hiss or major issues in that region.

I’ll test it with my Aeon Flow Open later and provide some feedback regarding the synergy with the Heresy.

If you already own an Atom, Magni 3, or SP200 I see no reason to swap to the Heresy.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ok, received my Heresy today. Initial impression is that it sounds identical to the Magni 3 I already have. This is NOT the Magni 3+. I love the sound, small footprint, color scheme, and little less aggressive low gain volume pot. Along those lines I get scratchy noises rotating the volume pot passed 50% in low gain on both amps. Not too unexpected for a $100 amp. The SP200 does not exhibit such scratchy noise, but has its own problems.

I tested it with some JH Audio 10x3 Pro IEM’s and they play well with the Heresy. I used ~20% of the volume on low gain. No hiss or major issues in that region.

I’ll test it with my Aeon Flow Open later and provide some feedback regarding the synergy with the Heresy.

If you already own an Atom, Magni 3, or SP200 I see no reason to swap to the Heresy.
Thanks, you just saved me about $120.

Blur

Forum Donor
I have a Geshelli Labs Archel 2.5 on its way too and can write up a brief comparison and comment on its volume pot since I’m sure many of you are curious about my that amp too.

makmeksam

If you don't believe me, buy both, match their levels and shoot a video of you telling them apart at least 8 out of 10 times blind. If you can I will pay for both of them and you can keep them for free!
This is interesting. Seems to confirm what @amirm says.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Jason says this:

I went back outside the listening room, talked to people for a bit, then tried the Ether 2 station. This one, as David said, was easier to tell the difference on. But again, these are tiny and slight differences. Minuscule, really, I spent about 10 minutes at that station, listening to familiar music, and I was ready to make my guess.

This time, David was impressed. "Now that's 100% right!"

This means that he identified each amp using the Ether 2 (he could not on the HD6XX) but it looks like he 'guessed' it right once and stopped when he got all 3 right. Scientific rigor says do it at least 10 times though.
Those that actually did do these kinds of tests knows it is exhausting and incredibly boring and should probably be spread over several days using various types of music and revealing headphones.

So not what Amir said but it is possible he got the Vali2 correct and guessed correctly between 3+ and Heresy. After all there is a50% chance of guessing correctly.

makmeksam

Jason says this:

I went back outside the listening room, talked to people for a bit, then tried the Ether 2 station. This one, as David said, was easier to tell the difference on. But again, these are tiny and slight differences. Minuscule, really, I spent about 10 minutes at that station, listening to familiar music, and I was ready to make my guess.

This time, David was impressed. "Now that's 100% right!"

This means that he identified each amp using the Ether 2 (he could not on the HD6XX) but it looks like he 'guessed' it right once and stopped when he got all 3 right. Scientific rigor says do it at least 10 times though.
Those that actually did do these kinds of tests knows it is exhausting and incredibly boring and should probably be spread over several days using various types of music and revealing headphones.

So not what Amir said but it is possible he got the Vali2 correct and guessed correctly between 3+ and Heresy. After all there is a50% chance of guessing correctly.
As I recall, the overall idea of the post was that it is very hard to differentiate those amps. Getting them right just once does not mean much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom