• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
@amirm ,

I believe @T.M.Noble gave the OK to look inside. Let's do that so we can get the issue of past loose solder blobs and bits out of the way..

Also, with 2+ watts of undistorted output, there is a possibility of thermal/cooking problems with either Magni under a 2w continuous load.. Thermal profiling under 2w load would also be nice while the covers are off..

I'm sure more than me will be tempted to use this into a pair of efficient bookshelf speakers, 8ohms be d****d...

Anonimar

@amirm ,

I believe @T.M.Noble gave the OK to look inside. Let's do that so we can get the issue of past loose solder blobs and bits out of the way..

Also, with 2+ watts of undistorted output, there is a possibility of thermal/cooking problems with either Magni under a 2w continuous load.. Thermal profiling under 2w load would also be nice while the covers are off..

I'm sure more than me will be tempted to use this into a pair of efficient bookshelf speakers, 8ohms be d****d...

Jason straight up said it doesn't have enough heatsinking to power a speaker load in his 'Schiit Happened' forum thread over at head-fi

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Jason straight up said it doesn't have enough heatsinking to power a speaker load in his 'Schiit Happened' forum thread over at head-fi
The spec at Schiit says 2+watts 'Max' for both at 32 ohms. I would think it fair to run a thermal profile at that. Is it 2+w for 10 seconds? 1 minute? Continuous?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is there any distortion rise with 32 load at low and high frequency?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The spec at Schiit says 2+watts 'Max' for both at 32 ohms. I would think it fair to run a thermal profile at that. Is it 2+w for 10 seconds? 1 minute? Continuous?

Music rarely is 2W continuous.
Even when pumping out 2W peaks in music the average would be 0.2W or even lower.
Spread this over multiple output devices and the heat won't be a problem.
Only with testing it is.

I would not use it with speakers or run it at full power for long at 16 Ohm because the opamps will be current limiting and there will still be a lot of voltage (with high current) across the opamps which will heat up quite quickly being SMD.
Not suited to drive small speakers.

Devices like this should be used what they are designed for.... Headphones.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
there will still be a lot of voltage (with high current) across the opamps which will heat up quite quickly being SMD.
Hmmm.. So is it likely the discrete Magni 3+ would test out with a higher continuous power - even though both Magni are Max rated the same?

Still, I think running a thermal profile on both would be nice to know. We are about measurements after all. Remember Amir's 'informal' thermal Sony AVR test... discovered a design fault..Let's similarly test these. Do they shut down, or what? At rated 2w...

Edit:

..and should they fail with a short to rail, given their lack of DC output protection, what happens to our expensive headphones?:)

Last edited:

TomJ

"much better rejection of 60 Hz hum... a benefit of using IC opamps in Heresy versus discrete circuit in Magni 3+"

very interesting, thank you for this information

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Of course one can run thermal tests but would do so with the top of (measuring the PCB not the casing).
I don't think there will be much difference between the 2 Magni's as both run on the same rail voltage and have about similar current limiting.
The Magni3+ output devices are (2) single devices and need to dissipate the same heat as the 4 SO-8 opamps so heat is spread out over 4 devices instead of 2.

I don't think any owner using it as a headphone amp will ever pump out 2W continuous ... ever.
Peaks I am sure some will and maybe drive it into clipping.

Speaking about clipping... how would both devices react to a clipping sinewave.
We rarely see measurements of this yet there certainly are differences in clipping behaviour.
I have measured clipping behaviour in C'Moy type amps and that's where differences are found.
I really don't want to know how many folks clip their low output power devices.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does those units function as pre-amps with the RCA out and volume control?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Weird that the 3+ doesn't have a power LED, my older 3 does.

Top Bottom