• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

Joe852

I bought a Magni 3+ recently to use at work with my Fiio X7 and DCA Aeon Noires. I'm very happy with it. It's transparent to my ears and while I don't really need the power for the volume I listen at, it takes a load off of the Fiio. Without the amp the battery drains quickly and it runs warm. With the amp it stays cool. It's amazing how cheap really good electronics have gotten.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What headphones? Something like the Heresy is just objectively better for IEMs but for full-size headphones you'll be very hard pressed to hear a difference really ;) also aesthetics matter, more than a few dB of SINAD I'd say!
I agree about the aesthetics. I do not like the red accents. But one could easily spray paint these red parts if one wanted that version.

teashea

Small detail question here. Amazon shows two photos of the Magni +. One photo shows a silve knob and the other shows a black knob. I wonder which is presently supplied. Thx

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
... But any compensation for the headphones is still an open question.
No. They will not compensate you for your headphones.

"In no event shall Schiit Audio be liable for consequential or incidental damages resulting from the breach of any implied or expressed warranties. Some states do not allow...."

The new Magni+ is an absolute dream. The Aryas as well as the 6xx sound right up front in your head without being obnoxious or piercing. crystal clear as hell and a fun listen. I sent the Heretic back...it wasn't even close to be honest. The Magni+ is like a hybrid between a fun listen (magni 3+) and an a faster, brighter more neutral (Heresy). The perfect mix on steroids. Truly great.
The Heretic wasn't bad but it just was a little stale in comparison. Constantly changing volume pot is not a good sign.
BUT, I'm just some dude who loves music, no expert and only used planars (Arya) and the 'ole 6xx's but that's my 1.7 cents Canadian.
I have the Multibit 2 + the Lokius although passed through the EQ in the 2 days I've had the unit.
Btw, they both look fantastic with so much ventilation, better architecture and a BIGGER KNOB.

delta76

Major Contributor
sadly the price in Europe is quite absurd. Would buy in a heartbeat if it was closer to US price :(

iulianm

I see it on Schiit Europe page for 169euro with VAT while price on Schiit.com is $109 without taxes. It's definitely more but I wouldn't say it's quite absurd unless I'm missing something.
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 6.03.39 PM.png

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see it on Schiit Europe page for 169euro with VAT while price on Schiit.com is $109 without taxes. It's definitely more but I wouldn't say it's quite absurd unless I'm missing something.
View attachment 270810
Here's VAT rate at Newhall, CA

1678502470565.png

About 40 USD difference which is roughly same as buying it directly at Schiit and shipping it to Europe

iulianm

That's pretty much the difference in price I would say: $109 from Schiit, shipping to Europen Union, adding 20% VAT there and you get close to 170euro.

julian_hughes

I'm in UK and recently bought a Magni 3+ from Schiit UK. It cost £145 inc. tracked next day shipping. That's about $180 US or €167. This is still slightly cheaper than paying the US price+shipping+import fees+local sales tax. On high gain the unit had a horrible hum and terrible noise when the volume pot was rotated. The noise vanished if I picked the amp up in my hand. I tried it with a different PSU and in different circuits on my home electricity. It seemed to me that these longstanding Schiit problems of not properly grounding the upper part of the case are still present, which is pretty disappointing. Naturally I didn't open the case to check this as I didn't want to invalidate the warranty, so it may have been something else. I actually wanted a device with three levels instead of my JDS Labs Atom's two, as I have a range of IEMs and headphones from very sensitive IEMs to Sennheiser HD6xx. Anyway I initiated a return and Schiit UK found the unit to be faulty and refunded me. They were fine but I don't think I'll bother with a Schiit device again.

mc.god

They were fine but I don't think I'll bother with a Schiit device again.
So do I, not after that this Magni3+ literally went in smoke after less than a week due to "using a low quality 6.3->3.5mm jack adapter" as they said to me before refunding.
Now I'm using that same adpater on a Sabaj A10h that seems to accept it without problems, just like all other devices on witch I used it.
If you have many sensitive IEM and want 3 lavel gain I think that the Sabaj can be a great choice for you with it's relay volume control, plus you can find it directly at amazon.uk at almost half the price you paid for the shiit.

julian_hughes

So do I, not after that this Magni3+ literally went in smoke after less than a week due to "using a low quality 6.3->3.5mm jack adapter" as they said to me before refunding.
Now I'm using that same adpater on a Sabaj A10h that seems to accept it without problems, just like all other devices on witch I used it.
If you have many sensitive IEM and want 3 lavel gain I think that the Sabaj can be a great choice for you with it's relay volume control.
I'm going to stick with the JDS Labs Atom. It's fine, I was just looking for a tiny bit extra convenience, nothing very important, and I was a little curious about Schiit products. My curiosity is now satisfied!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm in UK and recently bought a Magni 3+ from Schiit UK. It cost £145 inc. tracked next day shipping. That's about $180 US or €167. This is still slightly cheaper than paying the US price+shipping+import fees+local sales tax. On high gain the unit had a horrible hum and terrible noise when the volume pot was rotated. The noise vanished if I picked the amp up in my hand. I tried it with a different PSU and in different circuits on my home electricity. It seemed to me that these longstanding Schiit problems of not properly grounding the upper part of the case are still present, which is pretty disappointing. Naturally I didn't open the case to check this as I didn't want to invalidate the warranty, so it may have been something else. I actually wanted a device with three levels instead of my JDS Labs Atom's two, as I have a range of IEMs and headphones from very sensitive IEMs to Sennheiser HD6xx. Anyway I initiated a return and Schiit UK found the unit to be faulty and refunded me. They were fine but I don't think I'll bother with a Schiit device again.
Not surprising. They have melted down against their own customers on subjectivist forums over common problems they didn't bother to iron out.
They are a trash company that doesn't give a rats ass about it's customers and they have proven it time and time again.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm going to stick with the JDS Labs Atom. It's fine, I was just looking for a tiny bit extra convenience, nothing very important, and I was a little curious about Schiit products. My curiosity is now satisfied!
The topping L30 II has a ultra low gain if you are driving iems specifically. It's one of the only amps I can think of outside of the THX 789 that has 3 gain stages.

Top Bottom