• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

dheepak10

Got the Schiit Magni 3+ a week back. For a $99 device its pretty decent. Schiit charges $24 to ship to Canada which is a not very reasonable. On the plus side, it reached me in 2 working days.

The amp has a slightly richer tonality in the lower frequencies while the treble is airy, yet smooth sounding. I wouldn't call it a warm sounding amp.

I'll be primarily using it in low gain mode as a pre-amp to my studio monitors and occasional IEM listening.

With the Topping D50s putting out 2.1Vrms, the Magni 3+ doesn't have good control over the HD650 - sounds closed. The Headamp GL2 on the other hand drives the HD650 with excellent control. Day and night difference between the 2 amps. Even on high gain the Magni 3+ is not a great partner the HD650 though it has higher power output compared to the GL2, on paper.

Switched the DAC to my E1DA 9038D which puts out 2.7 Vrms and things improved with the Magni 3+ (on low gain) and the HD650 sounded much better, but still not as great as with the Headamp GL2.

On the other hand, with low impedance devices the Magni 3+ sounds exceptionally good and adds more depth to the sound stage. The Headamp GL2 struggles with low impedance devices (Not much available on the volume pot).

For some reason, I like the low gain on the Magni 3+. Don't prefer the high gain as I feel it sounds a bit coloured. So I only use the low gain.

Love the Magni 3+ for what it is and for a fully discrete amplifier it even measures pretty well. It works well with all my IEMs and in my Studio monitor chain, but definitely not my first choice for the HD650.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Got the Schiit Magni 3+ a week back. For a $99 device its pretty decent. Schiit charges $24 to ship to Canada which is a not very reasonable. On the plus side, it reached me in 2 working days.

The amp has a slightly richer tonality in the lower frequencies while the treble is airy, yet smooth sounding. I wouldn't call it a warm sounding amp.

I'll be primarily using it in low gain mode as a pre-amp to my studio monitors and occasional IEM listening.

With the Topping D50s putting out 2.1Vrms, the Magni 3+ doesn't have good control over the HD650 - sounds closed. The Headamp GL2 on the other hand drives the HD650 with excellent control. Day and night difference between the 2 amps. Even on high gain the Magni 3+ is not a great partner the HD650 though it has higher power output compared to the GL2, on paper.

Switched the DAC to my E1DA 9038D which puts out 2.7 Vrms and things improved with the Magni 3+ (on low gain) and the HD650 sounded much better, but still not as great as with the Headamp GL2.

On the other hand, with low impedance devices the Magni 3+ sounds exceptionally good and adds more depth to the sound stage. The Headamp GL2 struggles with low impedance devices (Not much available on the volume pot).

For some reason, I like the low gain on the Magni 3+. Don't prefer the high gain as I feel it sounds a bit coloured. So I only use the low gain.

Love the Magni 3+ for what it is and for a fully discrete amplifier it even measures pretty well. It works well with all my IEMs and in my Studio monitor chain, but definitely not my first choice for the HD650.

Having owned a JDS Labs Atom, JDS Labs Element II, Schiit Heresy, Schiit Magni3 and Magni3+. I agree with you, not warm but warmer than some others, I actually have a 3+ just for that reason, its smooth, it takes the edge off of brighter headphones such as Sundara but may be overly smooth for Sennheiser's. Its not by a lot mind you know, but its detectable and makes it a bit of a niche product.

MalinYamato

This is a review, detailed measurements and comparison of Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amplifiers. It was kindly sent to me by the company. They both cost US $99 plus shipping from Schiit.

The Magni 3+ is a discrete amplifier implementation whereas the Heresy uses integrated circuits ("opamps") creating a race as to which is better.

Both units come in classic Schiit enclosure but the Heresy has burgundy accent with black top:

The Heresy has a nice red LED indicating if the power is on or not. The Magni 3+ does not. Why? Half the time I could not tell if the Magni 3+ was on or not.

The volume control on both is rather close to the 1/4 headphone jack. As such, even though I have thinner fingers, I could not comfortably change the volume control. Wish the headphone jack was on the left side and volume on the right.

Both units are powered by the classic AC transformer (15 volts AC @ 1.5 Amps) Schiit ships with a lot of its components. They get a bit warm and likely waste more power than the amps themselves. They do give the designer an advantage though over switching DC power supplies as both negative and positive "rails" (voltages) can be produced from AC. Whereas with DC, you have to have another switching converter to generate the negative rail.

The back panel is what you expect:
Yes, the roll of toilet paper came in the box and gave me a good chuckle, putting me in good mood. Have not showed it to my wife yet as I am sure she will question me on what on earth I am testing that comes with toiler paper...

Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard of feeding the amp 2 volts and get 2 volts out ("unity" gain):

View attachment 42000

As you see, we are a bit shy of 2 volts output even though I had the volume at max. This means that the low gain mode is a bit less than 1:1. I tested it in high gain mode with 2 volt output and that dropped the SINAD (noise and distortion) to 99 dB. Wanted to test the same with Heresy but there, the high gain is much worse. So I decided to give the benefit to Magni 3+ and stay in low gain mode.

Here is the Heresy output:
View attachment 42001

This is when I sit back with a big smile and thank myself for living in an era of such spectacular headphone performance. Distortion products are around -135 dB, which is about 20 dB better than we need for absolute transparency! Here is our ranking among their competitors:
View attachment 42003

The Heresy pulls ahead of its only competitor: the JDS Labs Atom. The Magni 3+ hangs back a couple of grades.

Note that the Heresy has much better rejection of 60 Hz hum than the Magni 3+ does. A benefit of using IC opamps in Heresy versus discrete circuit in Magni 3+.

Signal to noise ratio at nominal 2 volts out is excellent on both:
View attachment 42005

We are talking 20 bits of dynamic range which matches the best DACs we have.

Dropping the output to just 50 millivolts to represent what level of dynamic range you get with sensitive IEMs and headphones we get a less impressive number:

View attachment 42004

Here the JDS Labs Atom pulls ahead:

View attachment 42006

We are in upper tier of performance though so still good.

Frequency response is dead flat in both to 40 kHz which is great:
View attachment 42007

Key measurement is power into different loads so let's start with 300 ohm in low gain for both:
View attachment 42008

We can see that the Heresy is slightly quieter and at the limit has less distortion, pushing the limit in the measurement system. Neither clips in low gain so if you hear distortion, it is in your headphones.

Here is the high gain performance against JDS Labs Atom:
View attachment 42009

Power output is the same in all three amplifiers. The Atom and Heresy have much lower distortion though before they clip. At nearly 90 dB SINAD, Magni 3+ is doing well too. Just not int he same class.

Here is performance into 33 ohm in low gain:
View attachment 42010

Very good performance from both of them with Heresy sporting lower distortion yet again.

High gain comparison to Atom gives us:
View attachment 42011

The Atom (dashed green) holds the title of lower noise and distortion. But both Magni amps leave it in the dust in power, producing nearly 2.4 watts.

Output impedance was identical and very low (good) on both at 1.3 ohm:
View attachment 42012

The channel imbalance was rather poor in Magni 3+ in the way it immediately showed such even at high volumes:
View attachment 42013

Your soundstage them may shift a bit depending on what the volume setting is. In my brief listening tests though, I did not notice this but more testing needs to be done.

I suspect the same volume control is also used in Heresy but here, it did a lot better:
View attachment 42014

If the volume control is the same, and you have sensitive ears/headphones, then may have to sift through some units to get one with the right match.

This is one drawback of getting an external headphone amplifier versus a combo DAC and Headphone Amp. The latter almost always uses the volume control in the DAC and hence has near perfect channel match.

Headphone Listening Tests
I wanted to get this review out quickly so did not spend extensive amount of time listening. But did go through my set of headphone specific tracks and performed AB tests with levels matched. I fed both amps using my Topping DX3 Pro and used its volume control for adjustment.

I started with the Drop/MrSpeakers Ether CX 25 ohms. Both amps drove it to ear bleeding level in high gain. While I could hear increasing distortion, both were identical in this regard so I am assuming it is the headphone complaining. There was no sonic difference that I could detect.

So I switched to Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. Both amplifiers provided incredible amount of drive, producing stellar response in the form of bass, detail and dynamic range. I tried with a few tracks to tell the two amps apart but I could not. In more careful ABX scenario where I can focus on specific segments I might do better. But in real-time testing, the two amps are the same. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Conclusions
Rarely do we get an opportunity to test two design philosophies in electronics. Yet here we are with two amps with near identical power rating and output impedance trying to impress us. The one with discrete implementation has the story that "it is harder to design so it must be better." The Opamp IC design's story is that an integrate circuit can be far more optimized than a discrete design. And its drawback of low voltage operation, doesn't apply to headphone amplifiers.

The conclusion is simple: the opamp design is superior in every regard to the discrete implementation. It has far less distortion, much less hum and lower noise floor in general. The Heresy also comes with a power LED which I like.

The Magni 3+ is also very competent amplifier and subjectively kept up with Heresy. But my question is why would you buy it? What are you going to do with that "story" of it being discrete? Print it on a sign and put it on your wall? Or sit back and enjoy music knowing that the Heresy provides absolute, provably transparent reproduction whereas the Magni 3+ is very close but may not be there.

My choice is clear. I am happy to give a very strong recommendation to Schiit Magni Heresy. It has exemplary performance coupled with a solid metal box.

Personally though I would not use it due to volume control position. Make sure you are OK with that before committing to it.

--------
As always, questions, comments, corrections, etc. are welcome.

This is a union town which the panthers belong to. I had no idea that there was a contractual restriction against using two panthers in the same picture. So I am facing a fine and appreciate donations to pay for that and/or fight the infraction using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Well, I know nothing about audio tech and I hardly read your graphs. You are a super ENGINEER, a guru in this field, and may scientifically and mathematically evaluate amps, but do those measures really translate to enjoyment and fun for the listener? My ears are very musical and money is not an issue to get the gear that pleased my ear. Now it is time for you to provide us with more subjective reviews and rank what gear pleases our ears the most. What stuff should I get to please me? Audio is better than sex but what combos of gear will give me that orgasm that the man in my dreams may not give me?

garbulky

Major Contributor
Well, I know nothing about audio tech and I hardly read your graphs. You are a super ENGINEER, a guru in this field, and may scientifically and mathematically evaluate amps, but do those measures really translate to enjoyment and fun for the listener? My ears are very musical and money is not an issue to get the gear that pleased my ear. Now it is time for you to provide us with more subjective reviews and rank what gear pleases our ears the most. What stuff should I get to please me? Audio is better than sex but what combos of gear will give me that orgasm that the man in my dreams may not give me?
His subjective impressions are shown in the headphone listening test portion of the review.

MalinYamato

Excuse me what?
hi Veri, you are an audio guru of high rank that I listen to.... thank you for your advice. I am here to get what is better than sex with a gorgeous man. Well, today I received my Singxter SA1 amp which I couple with a Khadas Tone 2 pro DAC.....I listen to it with Argon t60rp mod, Sundara, and Denon Ah-D9200. The ifi Zen Can signature HFM v2 amp that I have been using is going to be decommissioned. SA-1 is the gorgeous muscular man who gives me what I want. Period!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has somebody's account been hacked?

MalinYamato

Has somebody's account been hacked?
my account has not been hacked. Why I am here is to improve my life and enjoy what is left of it. I am the only woman here and while you love discussing the technical stuff, I am here to extract what may improve my life with whine and sound having moments of true and erotics love with a very powerful masculine man loving me bringing me where I want to, to the seventh heaven. I am a retro classic woman who desires whine, audio, and very masculine smart men.....

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

my account has not been hacked. Why I am here is to improve my life and enjoy what is left of it. I am the only woman here and while you love discussing the technical stuff, I am here to extract what may improve my life with whine and sound having moments of true and erotics love with a very powerful masculine man loving me bringing me where I want to, to the seventh heaven. I am a retro classic woman who desires whine, audio, and very masculine smart men.....
Ohhh kayyyyy. Plenty of whiners here. Some smart men too I'm sure. Enjoy.

Garlucky

Is it okay to leave a headphone adapter jack plugged into the amp when the amp is turned on, but there is no headphone connected to the adapter?

Dana reed

Is it okay to leave a headphone adapter jack plugged into the amp when the amp is turned on, but there is no headphone connected to the adapter?
Yes, it’s fine. All it does is change the physical size of the connector. I have the IEMagni and that always has the 1/8” adapter connected.

600_OHM

I'll be honest - when I got my Schiit Heresy a few years back, the colors intrigued me to look into it further. Not that it really matters! And it doesn't.

Car analogy on ASF?!?! Get outta' here...

Thing is, in early days I had some rat-rods sprayed with flat-black, and smoked some of those guys who didn't realize it was a sleeper under the hood. Again, thought I'd try and see if Schiit produced a sneaky sleeper. I think they did. Put some Texas boogie through it for a first run. Yeaaah.

The Schiit corporate vibe reminded me of street / pro racers "Here's what we've built - hope you enjoy it." (my quotes)

Today, the Heresy makes me think of custom re-production car guys, like these who put out a modernized Shelby GT350. Some of the disciplines and concerns are kind of the same! Making it all work together nicely is the key.

So weird that no other manufacturer make me even think of stuff like this, but Schiit does. And I don't own a pile of their stuff either. This is all I have.

Last edited:

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll be honest - when I got my Schiit Heresy a few years back, the colors intrigued me to look into it further. Not that it really matters! And it doesn't.

Car analogy on ASF?!?! Get outta' here...

Thing is, in early days I had some rat-rods sprayed with flat-black, and smoked some of those guys who didn't realize it was a sleeper under the hood. Again, thought I'd try and see if Schiit produced a sneaky sleeper. I think they did. Put some Texas boogie through it for a first run. Yeaaah.

The Schiit corporate vibe reminded me of street / pro racers "Here's what we've built - hope you enjoy it." (my quotes)

Today, the Heresy makes me think of custom re-production car guys, like these who put out a modernized Shelby GT350. Some of the disciplines and concerns are kind of the same! Making it all work together nicely is the key.

So weird that no other manufacturer make me even think of stuff like this, but Schiit does. And I don't own a pile of their stuff either. This is all I have.

Sitting here listening to my LCD-X on a Topping D30/A30 pro stack, I realize I have a Schiit Magni 3+ sitting in the corner with a thick layer of dust on it, and that I likely could not reliably tell a difference between it and my main stack in a blind test (Unless at very high volume) it really is the working man's hero! sometimes we do not realize how good something is until its to late, and in the pursuit of measured perfection we forget ourselves, and what it was that we were after all along.

600_OHM

My perception of Schiit is more like a race team. Bringing stuff to the track, with engineers that have already had a full career behind them , but still do it because they love what they do. If something else does it for you better, then great! Use that.

Kind of like whatever gets you across the finish line with a smile on your face is the objective. Maybe the guy in the other lane is doing something cool and you're not, but still at the end of the day - does it spoil your groove, or do you have fun anyway? Maybe you re-evaluate your own design and see a corner-case issue that they spotted and you didn't and put it into the next version of what rolls down the track.

Measuring things on the dyno is all well and good and necessary to see what's possible or underneath the hood. See what is realistic, what is crazy, or maybe total BS. But you gotta' bring it to the track, (your environment) to see if the dyno tests are suitable for your needs. There's a temptation to become a bench-racer. Avoid that.

Kind of like putting love and energy into something like this so it doesn't fall apart when the go-pedal is pushed. Anyway, I'm reading more into it all than necessary. Headphones can make one dream sometimes. :)

Last edited:

600_OHM

Yikes - I lied a little bit. I also have one of their early gen1 LOKI eq boxes.

That way, I can make sure that my AKG or Sennheiser rolling stock is tight / tuned for the track I'm running on that day. :)

D

Deleted member 48086

I still want the Modi 3+ more .. it looks way better paired with a silver 3E. If you did not notice a difference in sound and distortion in your AB tests, the better looks of the 3+ is what im going for… i think?

Unfortunately this review makes me feel bad for going with it instead of the heresy. Why would they make a better AMP within the same price class but in a color that doesnt really match any Schiit DAC. I dont get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veri

Master Contributor
I still want the Modi 3+ more .. it looks way better paired with a silver 3E DAC. If you did not notice a difference in sound and distortion in your AB tests, the better looks of the 3+ is what im going for… i think?

Unfortunately this review makes me feel bad for going with it instead of the heresy. Why would they make a better AMP with in the same price class but in a weird color that doesnt match any Schiit DAC. I dont get it..
What headphones? Something like the Heresy is just objectively better for IEMs but for full-size headphones you'll be very hard pressed to hear a difference really ;) also aesthetics matter, more than a few dB of SINAD I'd say!

iulianm

The case on the silver one is much nicer.
I have the Modi 3+/Heresy combo and Modi 3E silver. (I use it for different application but tried an A/B test and can't tell the difference).

Focal Celestee and Sennheiser HD6XX.
3svzaj971nf81.jpegIMG-4984.jpeg

D

Deleted member 48086

Thanks for the info. I will definitely pick up a 3+ than :)

Top Bottom