• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

MRphotography

So planar headphones are still going to be better paired with say one of the THX offereings?

Dana reed

Not necessarily. At least not likely audibly different. The HE6 is just amongst the least sensitive planars and can actually benefit from the high power the balanced output on the THX amps can produce. But things like LCD2 or HE560, Sundara, etc would be fine with atom or heresy or magni3+

MRphotography

Not necessarily. At least not likely audibly different. The HE6 is just amongst the least sensitive planars and can actually benefit from the high power the balanced output on the THX amps can produce. But things like LCD2 or HE560, Sundara, etc would be fine with atom or heresy or magni3+

Makes me wonder what the point of bothering with a THX amp is then anymore unless you have extremely hard to drive headphones.... The balanced output on the SMSL THX200 has actually lower power and more noise according to SMSL engineer... Kinda wish this little Amp from Schiit was around before I bought my SMSL set up would have saved me a bunch of money and has a lower noise floor then my THX amp...

Dana reed

Because: MOAR POWER.
I mean some people still claim you need at least a 100W/ch into 8 Ohm speaker amp to run the HE6. Thus far since having the HE6SE, I can't say that I have seen that big a difference between a Vidar, THX AAA 789, or a Jotunheim. When I tried to run them out of an Asgard 2, Chord Mojo, or Magni 3, I could get them to clip those amps before hurting my ears

eigentone

No plans at the moment, but I could certainly be convinced if people here are interested. Either way, you will be seeing more Schiit products reviewed on ASR in the future.
I would like to see a review of the Saga S by ASR. I have one in a revealing wide band system and feel it offers exceptional functionality and performance, by any standard, which makes the $299 price quite interesting. Seems like just the thing for a review by Amir.

Ratatoskr

I would like to see a review of the Saga S by ASR. I have one in a revealing wide band system and feel it offers exceptional functionality and performance, by any standard, which makes the $299 price quite interesting. Seems like just the thing for a review by Amir.

Schiit mentioned in another forum the Saga S is being discontinued, if you want one pick it up.
Yep, I thought I covered this before. The Freya+ and Saga+ are staying. The Freya S and Saga S will be sold until we run out of them.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit mentioned in another forum the Saga S is being discontinued, if you want one pick it up.

Considering that you can toggle the Freya+ and Saga+ to operate in passive mode, it makes the S versions redundant

makmeksam

Video channels are dominated by subjective reviewers. We need objective reviewers in video channels!

ClosDeLaRoche

Video channels are dominated by subjective reviewers. We need objective reviewers in video channels!
Zeos is pretty hilarious though. And, IIRC Zeos caught an issue with the M500 bleeding audio through the line outs that Amir missed. There's a lot to be said for spending time using the gear rather than just benchmarking it. Getting multiple opinions is never a bad thing

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can also have equipment bench-marked and then decide you want to buy/use it.
You can also look at subjective reviews and let biased or folks with a possibly different preference do some 'evaluations' as well.
One can also turn it around and claim the better something measures the worse it sounds.

Once you own it you can start using and enjoying (or not) the gear. :cool:

Tup3x

Sooo... Is it just me or is there a bit too large gap between low and high gain? In terms of power and gain compared to other alternatives? The 5,5x gain sounds insane to me. I consider even the 3,3x gain on my O2 unusable from 2V RMS sources (heck, I already have to turn the volume down from the source and the further tone it down with the vol pot at unity gain).

(Actually, how much does O2 give at unity gain for 300 ohm load?)

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just letting my opinion out here for the european schiit shop. Its terrible. Shipping always says its the next Week of the year and every week this gets pushed back another week. Im glad i didnt order 2 weeks ago.

You know most customers dont want to wait weeks for their products to arrive.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fairplay to Schiit, I am not their biggest fan but these new Magni amps do offer terrific performance (all you need from a headphone amp) at a great price and in a metal case. They have improved a lot over the last couple of years and are making some nice gear which is pretty well priced. Got to give credit where it is due.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sooo... Is it just me or is there a bit too large gap between low and high gain? In terms of power and gain compared to other alternatives? The 5,5x gain sounds insane to me. I consider even the 3,3x gain on my O2 unusable from 2V RMS sources (heck, I already have to turn the volume down from the source and the further tone it down with the vol pot at unity gain).

(Actually, how much does O2 give at unity gain for 300 ohm load?)

Consider there are also music sources with 1V outputs (phones, tablets, small DAPs) which is what one needs high gain for.
low gain is more intended for IEM's and sensitive headphones.
When one also uses digital volume control (if only for intersample overs) then the 5.5x makes sense.
For using low impedance medium sensitivity headphones from 2V to 3V DAC outputs and no digital attenuation high gain might be a bit too much but in that case low gain should be fine.

ClosDeLaRoche

I use low gain with my MrSpeakers Aeon Flows and Ether CX, no problems at all. DAC is Modi 3 with 2V output. Solderdude makes a good point on use cases for high gain.

Top Bottom