• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni 3+ and Heresy Headphone Amp Reviews

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The topping L30 II has a ultra low gain if you are driving iems specifically. It's one of the only amps I can think of outside of the THX 789 that has 3 gain stages.
The Topping L30 II does look appealing but I think my experience of the Schiit amp reminded me how good the Atom is and that I'm OK with it. Those Drop THX amps are no longer available but never mind. If was starting over looking for a good and reasonably priced headphone amp I'd possibly make the Topping L30 II my first choice but for the moment I'll stick with the Atom.

iulianm

Magni3+ literally went in smoke after less than a week due to "using a low quality 6.3->3.5mm jack adapter" as they said to me before refunding
:eek::eek::eek:
This is bad! did you sent the jack adapter to them and they tested it out or how did they got to the conclusion that was a low quality? I don't even know how to tell apart a good quality from a bad quality one.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The Topping L30 II does look appealing but I think my experience of the Schiit amp reminded me how good the Atom is and that I'm OK with it. Those Drop THX amps are no longer available but never mind. If was starting over looking for a good and reasonably priced headphone amp I'd possibly make the Topping L30 II my first choice but for the moment I'll stick with the Atom.
The Atom is quite wonderful. I also have an Archel2 Pro that I like. Originally had a custom O2 from JDS though.
This is bad! did you sent the jack adapter to them and they tested it out or how did they got to the conclusion that was a low quality? I don't even know how to tell apart a good quality from a bad quality one.
It's not even possible for an adapter to be low quality. It is such a simple piece of metal that you can have one that is 59 cents and is totally fine.

mc.god

Obviously not, why in the world would I deprive me of a useful adapter that worked and works flawlessly on any other device? The low quality is clearly in a certain other item I sent back to them and got refund.
I reported the whole story here back then if you're curious:

Last edited:
As an ex Purolator worker, I can say with great confidence that at least 80% of these issues are "journey-related" (physical problems and not issues regarding the unit's different "options") These boxes, no matter the level of S/H you pay for, gets treated like a basketball. Not a genius post but it hardly takes a slight shake to loosen, break, unglue etc... vital capacitors, resistors and wires. I think Schiit makes phenomenal audio components with quality parts at outstanding prices. I believe the risk to reward factor is as good as any company out there.

ZeDestructor

As an ex Purolator worker, I can say with great confidence that at least 80% of these issues are "journey-related" (physical problems and not issues regarding the unit's different "options") These boxes, no matter the level of S/H you pay for, gets treated like a basketball. Not a genius post but it hardly takes a slight shake to loosen, break, unglue etc... vital capacitors, resistors and wires. I think Schiit makes phenomenal audio components with quality parts at outstanding prices. I believe the risk to reward factor is as good as any company out there.
Schiit gets the flak they get because dozens of other vendors playing in the same field, using the same shipping and courrier companies don't seem to have those same problems at the same rate as Schiit. And then there's the design-level failures like missing short-circuit protection and the like that many competitors do have at very similar prices.

ZeDestructor

You peeps have no data on the quantity of Schiit product that goes south. Your constant slagging Schiit was OK for the first post or two but you've become naggers.
Hence the "seem", cause I have no anecdotes or statistical data. Evidently they're doing well enough for most people, and they measure pretty well now.

Wekhrlin

The new Magni+ is an absolute dream. The Aryas as well as the 6xx sound right up front in your head without being obnoxious or piercing. crystal clear as hell and a fun listen. I sent the Heretic back...it wasn't even close to be honest. The Magni+ is like a hybrid between a fun listen (magni 3+) and an a faster, brighter more neutral (Heresy). The perfect mix on steroids. Truly great.
The Heretic wasn't bad but it just was a little stale in comparison. Constantly changing volume pot is not a good sign.
I had a similar experience: First, I had the Heretic. After a while, I wondered why listening to music was no longer fun: the highs just were too exhausting, so I always had to take a break after a while. I then ordered a Magni+. With this model, I have no problems at all due to harsh treble. Of course, this is all highly subjective and also depends on the headphones. Nevertheless, it was a very interesting experience to see how much such small differences can have an effect.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is more interesting to see if you can differentiate when not knowing which amp is connected.

Wekhrlin

Sure, that would be the ultimate test. However, it is rather the case that I first wondered why I needed a break with the Heretic after an hour, although the device otherwise delivers an excellent sound. I don't have that with the other model. However, this cannot be measured objectively.

schmalgausen

Hello,

Any sense to use HI gain with HD650? I like full volume range on LOW (HI is too loud), but I read many people prefer HI gain because of more power.

Weeb Labs

Hello,

Any sense to use HI gain with HD650? I like full volume range on LOW (HI is too loud), but I read many people prefer HI gain because of more power.
Not unless you find the volume levels to be inadequate at low gain.

mc.god

Hello,

That is just the answer that you already had from yourself. Enjoy what you like, not what "many people" may say.

Weeb Labs

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I just wanted to know if low gain enough in numbers of mW.

That is irrelevant. When listening at 'normal' listening levels you probably are just using a few mW at most.

When you have a good volume control range in low gain mode simply keep it there.
When you reached the max. volpot setting and you want/need to go louder simply switch to a higher gain.
It is that simple.

Top Bottom