• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit JOTUNHEIM 2 released

flyzipper

USB input only, with either DAC option (which is disappointing** to me).

This may be old news for those familiar with the expansion modules (but I wasn't), and I didn't see it covered/linked on the product page itself, so here's a capture from the manual, and links to the optional DAC cards...

https://www.schiit.com/products/ak4490-dac-card
https://www.schiit.com/products/true-multibit-card

** disappointing because I was initially interested... this addressed a fundamental problem I have with the Magnius...
... Jotunheim comes with a switch for the pre-outs, rather than having them always on, but I need more than the single USB input.

1608172466243.png

OP
T

TheSacredSoul

I was gonna put in the order for the Modius/Magnius stack but then thus gets released. Now I am wondering if I should go Jot2 with multibit module. But from what I've heard on ASR and elsewhere, the module pales in comparison to a dedicated multibit dac like the bifrost 2.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get it with phono card or no card. Their DAC cards are not as good as Modi3. Of course this would pair with Modius nicely.

Also I am interested in seeing how Modi3+ does.
I was gonna put in the order for the Modius/Magnius stack but then thus gets released. Now I am wondering if I should go Jot2 with multibit module. But from what I've heard on ASR and elsewhere, the module pales in comparison to a dedicated multibit dac like the bifrost 2.
Modius is the best measuring Schiit DAC. Modi3 was excelent, second best, and better than the cards. Modi3+ should be better than Modi3 but Amir has not reviewed Modi3+ yet.

Edit: i would get magnius and modius or Jot 2 and Modius and maybe a phono card.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
T

TheSacredSoul

would get magnius and modius or Jot 2 and Modius and maybe a phono card.

No use for a phono card for me but I am leaning towards Magnius/Modius. Unless the reviews of Jot2 somehow justifies the $200 premium over the Magnius. Even Schiit's own marketing says Magnius measures better than the Jot2 though.

From their FAQ:

There are other balanced amps in Jotunheim 2’s price range. What about them?
What about them? They use IC-based topologies, like our Magnius. And may we remind you that Magnius costs far less than these other affordable balanced amps, while (a) far outstripping them in potentiometer quality (using the 27mm Alps RK27114 versus their 9mm potentiometers), and (b) being designed and made right here in California.
But they measure better than Jotunheim 2.
So does Magnius. So if you’re going for measured performance versus cost, Magnius is the logical choice. Get a Magnius and save $200 over a Jotunheim 2. Done.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No use for a phono card for me but I am leaning towards Magnius/Modius. Unless the reviews of Jot2 somehow justifies the $200 premium over the Magnius. Even Schiit's own marketing says Magnius measures better than the Jot2 though.

From their FAQ:

There are other balanced amps in Jotunheim 2’s price range. What about them?
What about them? They use IC-based topologies, like our Magnius. And may we remind you that Magnius costs far less than these other affordable balanced amps, while (a) far outstripping them in potentiometer quality (using the 27mm Alps RK27114 versus their 9mm potentiometers), and (b) being designed and made right here in California.
But they measure better than Jotunheim 2.
So does Magnius. So if you’re going for measured performance versus cost, Magnius is the logical choice. Get a Magnius and save $200 over a Jotunheim 2. Done.
I have Modius and Magnius and like them.

Potential advantages of Jot2 are preamp switch, silver finish, and 6W into 32 ohms, a tremendous amount of power.

If I had neither, I would go for Modius and Magnius again for measured performance and price.

I won't be surprised if Jot2 measures very well, though not as well as Magnius; i also won't be surprised if it measures kinda poorly, since this was not their stated objective in Chapter 16.

OP
T

TheSacredSoul

I have Modius and Magnius and like them.

Potential advantages of Jot2 are preamp switch, silver finish, and 6W into 32 ohms, a tremendous amount of power.

If I had neither, I would go for Modius and Magnius again for measured performance and price.

I won't be surprised if Jot2 measures very well, though not as well as Magnius; i also won't be surprised if it measures kinda poorly, since this was not their stated objective in Chapter 16.

Fair enough. The preamp switch is definitely nice. But even the 5W into 32ohms from the Magnius is more than enough for most headphones. It's also fully discrete though I am unsure of the benefits of this.

Zensō

Major Contributor

The AP measurements are posted on the Schiit website. Looks pretty good in balanced output:

EDIT:

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit Amp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Lyr3.pdf

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit Amp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Jotunheim 2.pdf

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22273

Still only 1.4V output on dac card?
Or is it 2V now?

Optional Dual AK4490 DAC:
USB Input Receiver: C-Media CM6631A
D/A Conversion IC: AK4490 x 2Input Capability: up to 24/192
Analog Output: fully differential, active summing and filtering
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB, 2-100kHz, -3dB
THD: <0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, full scale
IMD: <0.001%, CCIR
S/N: >108dB, referenced to 2V RMS, unweighted

Zensō

Major Contributor
Still only 1.4V output on dac card?
Or is it 2V now?

Optional Dual AK4490 DAC:
USB Input Receiver: C-Media CM6631A
D/A Conversion IC: AK4490 x 2Input Capability: up to 24/192
Analog Output: fully differential, active summing and filtering
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.1dB, 2-100kHz, -3dB
THD: <0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, full scale
IMD: <0.001%, CCIR
I haven't seen any announcements of updates to the DAC cards, so I'm assuming still 1.4V. Personally I'd pass on the DAC cards...

D

Deleted member 22273

Do this mean output now is 2V?

dfuller

Major Contributor
If the single end 1/4 is as bad as the magnius, no thanks.
Interesting that -94 and change dB THD+N with only 2nd harmonic - and a flat dist vs frequency plot - is considered "bad". It's not bad. It's just not SOTA.

JoeKickass

Top Bottom