• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit IEMagni Review (Headphone Amplifier)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
XLR vs RCA is not about technical performance. In both cases it exceeds audibility levels.

XLR can be useful when you have the bad luck to encounter some ground-loop issues like hum or weird noises.
Don't get too hung up on numbers.
Find something that has the functionality, looks you need and can 'drive' what you need it to.

Simply put, any reason for me to use XLR out to the preamp and rca to the amp?

Most likely not.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now I have to complain about this review not testing with some iem

MacCali

Major Contributor
Now I have to complain about this review not testing with some iem
I’m not an expert but that chart with low gain shows a pretty quiet amp meaning it should be no issue.

Don’t recall what it was and too lazy to look, but I think that’s why it wasn’t required. I guess that graph makes it clear.

Human Bass

I’m not an expert but that chart with low gain shows a pretty quiet amp meaning it should be no issue.

Don’t recall what it was and too lazy to look, but I think that’s why it wasn’t required. I guess that graph makes it clear.
It's not about power, but noise. Iem are a great test to see how clean the amp the is

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not all IEM are created equal when it comes to efficiency numbers and impedance.

MacCali

Major Contributor
It's not about power, but noise. Iem are a great test to see how clean the amp the is
Yes indeed, not sure if it’s accurate but I believe that lower gain makes lower noise. Maybe?

That was the correlation I was trying to project. I believe that’s what I got from the graphs as well, recollection. However I do know since IEMs are sensitive and people appreciate their ear drums having a less sensitive volume control is much more pleasant.

Honestly not even one to go back and debate on the matter, not sure how gain works precisely. But the low gain measurement looked pretty quiet, shouldn’t be one to comment on certain things, but I am clearly aware you want the noise floor to be pitch black

Tom Ace

Business idea ;) Knob upgrades for all models, precisely machined from sterling silver (to remind the user to polish his knob regularly) :cool:

"The ultimate Schiit" collection :)

You can remove the plastic core (that's shaped to fit the pot's shaft) from a Schiit-supplied knob and glue it into a knob you've turned. I've made a couple for myself (wood, not silver) but there's too much labor in each knob for me to want to make a business out of it.

12mar21b.jpg

Transmaniacon

So for HD6XX, is the IEMagni the best choice of the three Magni offerings?

Transmaniacon

carlosfjezus

Hi guys, I need some help. I bought a sennheiser Hd560s yesterday and I have a creative G6 dac/amp. I am having a good volume at high gain, so my question, it is worth upgrading to a IEmagni or heresy or will just have higher volume with it? Thanks and I am sorry about my english.

Shazb0t

Hi guys, I need some help. I bought a sennheiser Hd560s yesterday and I have a creative G6 dac/amp. I am having a good volume at high gain, so my question, it is worth upgrading to a IEmagni or heresy or will just have higher volume with it? Thanks and I am sorry about my english.
Probably not.

carlosfjezus

Agree. Power is the big differentiator in audible performance; unlikely you will hear anything else between these two properly designed products.
Yes, and the HD560s it is not a demanding HP. If a get a heresy or IEmagni, its for the future HP upgrades.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and the HD560s it is not a demanding HP. If a get a heresy or IEmagni, its for the future HP upgrades.
I would get the IE for the protection circuit if you go down that path, even though I prefer the red Heresy LED in a dark room.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone having problem with channel imbalance with this product?
I do not, but it is always a possibility with a potentiometer, even a high quality one like we get here. You won't find relay stepped attenuators, resistor ladders, or digital control at this price. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are prepared to spend a lot more money.

More likely an issue at very low output with sensitive IEMs, in which case you should get IEMagni anyway.

carlosfjezus

I do not, but it is always a possibility with a potentiometer, even a high quality one like we get here. You won't find relay stepped attenuators, resistor ladders, or digital control at this price. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are prepared to spend a lot more money.

More likely an issue at very low output with sensitive IEMs, in which case you should get IEMagni anyway.

Thank you, I will get IEMagni then!!

Top Bottom