• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S vs Freya + in Solid State Mode

wgb113

Hey everyone! Looking to see if (ideally) anyone has experience with both of these, if not one or the other, so that I can gather some feedback on how the solid state modes perform on each. The Freya S features Schiit's Nexus gain stage whereas the Freya + is a JFET-based gain stage.

Also, is it safe to assume that the passive modes are identical?

Looking to pair one of these versions with some Dynaudio LYD-48 monitors.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are looking for subjective comments, SBAF has a ton comparing the two as well as different operating modes. From an objective view, both preamps measure very clean and the differences are inaudible. If you want a tubey sounding preamp, shop elsewhere.

For the record, I own a Freya S, had a Freya, and use an original Saga in my desktop system. Once level matched, I hear no difference between the passive and tube mode in the Saga.

JungleXray

Although I‘ve never heard either (I did own a saga though) , I doubt there would be any audible difference. The nexus stage, as far as I understand it, makes the the gain from both balanced I/O and single ended I/O the same.

So if your switching in between the two in your system I would get the S.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

The S is what Schiit recommended as well but then I found out that they've discontinued the S so I was hoping that they weren't just trying to push it.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Freya S is still being made, the Saga S has been dropped. My information could be wrong. I would not spend the extra on the + unless either 1) you really want tubes, or 2) you like the look (they do look really cool).

OP
wgb113

wgb113

Trying to get a definitive answer as to whether the buffer stages in each are the same - I thought I read that they were different.

Also wondering if I'm not just better off sending Coax out of my PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter to the RME DAC and using the latter as a preamp for all three sources (PC/CD/LP). Is the extra A/D/D/A conversion worse than introducing another component into the signal chain?

JungleXray

Trying to get a definitive answer as to whether the buffer stages in each are the same - I thought I read that they were different.

Also wondering if I'm not just better off sending Coax out of my PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter to the RME DAC and using the latter as a preamp for all three sources (PC/CD/LP). Is the extra A/D/D/A conversion worse than introducing another component into the signal chain?

They are different.. Technically different, but fundamentally the same. My guess is that they sound the same. The tubes of the Freya + would sound different of course.

If you already have all the equipment and just need a coax cable why not just try that? Unless you really want to keep the turntable all analog, you don’t really need the Freya.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

They are different.. Technically different, but fundamentally the same. My guess is that they sound the same. The tubes of the Freya + would sound different of course.

If you already have all the equipment and just need a coax cable why not just try that? Unless you really want to keep the turntable all analog, you don’t really need the Freya.
I think I am going to experiment with that for a bit before making a decision on a Freya.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Looks like the Freya S is discontinued now. I'm sure you can still find one, but that might influence your decision.

OP
wgb113

wgb113

Looks like the Freya S is discontinued now. I'm sure you can still find one, but that might influence your decision.
The RME is working out perfectly, especially since I had to convert it to a desk setup thanks to COVID.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RME is working out perfectly, especially since I had to convert it to a desk setup thanks to COVID.

Funny, I just sold my Freya for an RME. Between the money I got for it and my Gungnir, I came out ahead.

BAMCIS

The Freya S is still being made, the Saga S has been dropped. My information could be wrong. I would not spend the extra on the + unless either 1) you really want tubes, or 2) you like the look (they do look really cool).
The Freya S is no more. Only the 'plus' model is available and it's back ordered for a month. Lots of good press I suppose.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Freya S is no more. Only the 'plus' model is available and it's back ordered for a month. Lots of good press I suppose.

It is a shame, as the Freya S was a really good value. It just wasn’t selling enough. Schiit was clear that they were launching the different versions and would decide based on sales. The solid state Saga didn’t make it either.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I just ordered a b stock Saga S from Schiit so my wife can have a remote for the volume on the Marantz 2440 rear amp on the bedroom TV. There is one more available on Schiit closeouts and B stock.

PuX

:facepalm: Freya S was one of their genuinely good products judging from the measurements (at least one of the 2 reviewed).
And they keep making the tube version? Tubes are such a gimmick... And it's $300 more?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
:facepalm: Freya S was one of their genuinely good products judging from the measurements (at least one of the 2 reviewed).
And they keep making the tube version? Tubes are such a gimmick... And it's $300 more?
Maybe hardcore measurement people dont need all the sources and can get away with something like Magnius for preamp. That is how I am set up right now for turntable and DAC. I will probably get Freya+ anyway before the year ends. Unless they release something I cant live without like a Hypex amp or a tube power amp.

Top Bottom