• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't know why but I can hear differences between...

How do you go about listening for these differences? Is it through a controlled listening process, or you just notice differences after you hook up one or another?

If no controls are put in place, what you hear will not mean as much to you as you think, and it will mean even less to anyone else...

Set up a level matched (+/- .1db) double blind test with nearly instantaneous switching, and there are many who would bet embarrassing amounts those differences would disappear...assuming we aren't dealing with headphones and impedance/power issues. That definitely adds another element, but that's not magic either, just choose a device that's competent for the job.

Do you use different filters? I myself haven't managed to hear filter differences...my hearing has likely dropped below where that threshold could matter, but for others I have no doubt they could be audible.

Not trying to give you grief...just one possible answer as to how they could sound different to you...

Pillars

Ah yes, with the level matched blind testing question. Gaming is different than music in that I am listening to the same menu interaction, sound effects etc constantly. When something changes it becomes apparent to me subjectively. So, this is a statement of opinion and you can take that as you will. Live with gear for months, make a change and then tell me you notice nothing and I'll consider that your subjective experience, as mine is my own. I don't believe a snapshot of a tone measurement captures everything or is the end all be all of audio. This is just my own opinion, as someone who enjoys the hobby and has heard a lot of gear.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When something changes it becomes apparent to me subjectively. So, this is a statement of opinion and you can take that as you will.

Of course...especially when you know it has been changed...

Given that this is an Audio Science site, we tend to place a lot lot weight on that which has the support of decades of research and support...such as the old Level matched DBT...so often conveniently waved away as if it couldn't possibly answer anything of value by those who would often just prefer not to know, or be exposed to not being able to pick out those (obvious) differences after all...

Reactions: Tks

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Do I understand you correctly and the board goes direct to a dumpster?

If we can’t identity the problem and fix the unit for the customer, the board is trashed. We can’t sell used product.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Please tell me the dumpster location, I'm local and will dive it for a 8db channel imbalance.
lol... I remember Sony of Canada had a bunch of gear that was going to be written off. They piled it up in the parking lot and drove over it crushing it while witnesses stood by. Now a write off for the bean counters. I think nowadays companies buy those machines that munch stuff up into little bits for recycling.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
lol... I remember Sony of Canada had a bunch of gear that was going to be written off. They piled it up in the parking lot and drove over it crushing it while witnesses stood by. Now a write off for the bean counters. I think nowadays companies buy those machines that munch stuff up into little bits for recycling.
Indeed. When I worked for Sony, they required destroying the electronics together with management certification. It was required for tax, import reasons, etc.

Of course, that did not stop employees from going to the dumpster later and pulling out memory, CPUs, etc. out of computers "destroyed" there. :)

Labjr

Major Contributor
I worked at an Apple distribution center during the 80's. I saw more computers go into the compactor than I could count.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Please tell me the dumpster location, I'm local and will dive it for a 8db channel imbalance.

By the time they exit the warehouse, I assure you, they are quite unusable. One of the many pains of doing business.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Sure, but maybe he can still advise....

JJ, our tube supplier, pushed back our delivery date for tubes which resulted in the Freya + back order. I am doing all I can to get that product back on our shelves. The spice must flow.

Samoyed

Laura said there is no list to contact those waiting, with the only alternative to buy, now. I guess I’ll try to remember to check your site from time to time but I have a memory like a sieve....

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know why but I can hear differences between the D50, D70, DX7s & Bifrost 2 despite measurements saying they should for the most part all sound the same. Coffee is coffee, some prefer a certain flavor. Find what yours is and enjoy. I like this site for the objective data, however subjectively more often than not people discern differences in gear. I play a lot of Hunt Showdown, a game that uses a lot of similar sounds and very high quality audio. When I change DACs things sound a bit different. Better? doubtful, a little different, definitely.
I don't doubt those differences, but again, these differences are unlikely due to the singular DAC chip itself, but rather the circuit/power design around the chip. I didn't mean to imply that all DACs sound alike but specifically just the "chip", whether Sabre 9038 or AKM or Burr-Brown, etc.

Pillars

I don't doubt those differences, but again, these differences are unlikely due to the singular DAC chip itself, but rather the circuit/power design around the chip. I didn't mean to imply that all DACs sound alike but specifically just the "chip", whether Sabre 9038 or AKM or Burr-Brown, etc.

This I agree with, my references are to the DAC as a whole. Different PSU design, implementation etc I believe can alter sound. I think in some DACs the chip can be a limiting factor, but technology has come a long way recently as well.

Blur

Forum Donor
I'm confused. If it is a minor issue not worrying about why did Schiit send another board. When is a 9dB difference in audio minor? I'm just trying to understand this from a quality standpoint...quality being defined as repeatability.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I'm confused. If it is a minor issue not worrying about why did Schiit send another board. When is a 9dB difference in audio minor? I'm just trying to understand this from a quality standpoint...quality being defined as repeatability.

I don't believe I ever tried to downplay the issue or make it seem unimportant. My concern was the unit was not functioning as designed. It's unlikely one would hear that difference that far down but that is irrelevant. The board we resent is functioning as designed and expected.

Blur

Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply at least. If you see this issue again, all, be sure to mention it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe I ever tried to downplay the issue or make it seem unimportant. My concern was the unit was not functioning as designed. It's unlikely one would hear that difference that far down but that is irrelevant. The board we resent is functioning as designed and expected.
Coming from a guy that's repaired 55K+ units of component level mechantronics repair and another 8K units of mass mods and another 15K of assembly units I totally understand tossing something in the garbage and moving along and doing more business. It's just not worth the time sometimes.

m8o

Forum Donor
A) looks like they commandeered unused unstamped Mjolnir chassis for this. ;)

B) how would any typical customer w/o super expensive test gear know their unit is faulty? :( That's poor QC.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
A) Same profile but neither Mjolnir nor Freya is stamped. ;)

B) Well, every single unit that exits Schiit is tested by human ears and almost every unit with a few exceptions is tested on equipment as well. All new product lines and first articles are tested on our AP to make sure our board houses are correctly producing the product we requested and that they are measuring correctly. Considering the amount of units we have in the field, our failure rate is extraordinarily low. I think that is directly due to our QC policies.

Top Bottom