• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

Benchmark DAC3, some variants at least, has analog inputs.
From a purist's perspective, if you have an analog source like a turntable or tape deck, it makes little sense to convert the analog signal to digital, only to have it converted back to analog.

On the other hand, if you want to experiment with DSP, a DAC with an integrated ADC (and DSP capabilities) would be great.

I happen to fall into the "purist" camp; I want my analog signal (from my turntable) to be as unadulterated as possible, so for me, the Schiit Freya S is an ideal solution, though I'm with you; I would much prefer it in black.

gvl

Major Contributor
From a purist's perspective, if you have an analog source like a turntable or tape deck, it makes little sense to convert the analog signal to digital, only to have it converted back to analog.

On the other hand, if you want to experiment with DSP, a DAC with an integrated ADC (and DSP capabilities) would be great.

I happen to fall into the "purist" camp; I want my analog signal (from my turntable) to be as unadulterated as possible, so for me, the Schiit Freya S is an ideal solution, though I'm with you; I would much prefer it in black.

There is no AD conversion in the Dac3 on analog inputs.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
DAC3 has 2 RCA inputs and it's a DAC, the math seem to work out?

That would work if either of the analog inputs could be SET to unity gain for HT but that option is not included in the DAC. OTOH the LA4 does have that capability. Plus Okto DAC8 should be here this week. :)

Russ

There is no AD conversion in the Dac3 on analog inputs.
You sure about that?

From the Benchmark website, there is no mention of a pass-through for the analog inputs on the Dac3. The volume control would have to work in both the digital domain and analog domain; I don't see any explanation of this on the Benchmark website.

If you're right, then the Dac3 is functionally equivalent to the Freya S (plus external DAC), though at a price of 2 grand, the Dac3 is significantly more expensive than the Freya S, assuming your choice of external DAC to be used with the Freya S is less than a grand.

TimW

Major Contributor
"HGC" is Benchmark's unique Hybrid Gain Control system. The DAC3 combines active analog gain control, passive low-impedance attenuators, a 32-bit digital gain control, and a servo-driven volume control. All inputs are controlled by the rotary volume control. This volume control moves in response to commands from the remote control. Analog inputs are never converted to digital, and digital inputs never pass through an analog potentiometer. Digital inputs are precisely controlled in the 32-bit DSP system. The DSP system preserves precise L/R balance, and precise stereo imaging, while avoiding any source of noise and distortion.

gvl

Major Contributor
You sure about that?

From the Benchmark website, there is no mention of a pass-through for the analog inputs on the Dac3. The volume control would have to work in both the digital domain and analog domain; I don't see any explanation of this on the Benchmark website.

If you're right, then the Dac3 is functionally equivalent to the Freya S (plus external DAC), though at a price of 2 grand, the Dac3 is significantly more expensive than the Freya S, assuming your choice of external DAC to be used with the Freya S is less than a grand.

HYBRID GAIN CONTROL
"HGC" is Benchmark's unique Hybrid Gain Control system. The DAC3 combines active analog gain control, passive low-impedance attenuators, a 32-bit digital gain control, and a servo-driven volume control. All inputs are controlled by the rotary volume control. This volume control moves in response to commands from the remote control. Analog inputs are never converted to digital, and digital inputs never pass through an analog potentiometer. Digital inputs are precisely controlled in the 32-bit DSP system. The DSP system preserves precise L/R balance, and precise stereo imaging, while avoiding any source of noise and distortion.

As for the price, well, I think paying a bit extra for a DAC3 is money well spent. Takes less space too. Comparable performance with the Freya will cost more than a grand with the DAC warranty service that has to likely be handled somewhere in Asia if anything goes wrong.

Last edited:

stereo coffee

Audio Company
I can, and it's the max output level frequently these days. Lots of DACs these days offer multiple max output levels as well, especially pro focused ones.

The DAC's may well aspire to that level, but a typical commercial release CD does not have digital information encoded on it, to ever attain such levels.

It is detailed here https://www.100vinyl.com/audio-requirements-cds.html and worded with reference to the Red Book standard - as Recording Level " The numerical level of the input piece will be transferred on the CD as is (the bits on the CD recording will match the model) unless requested by the customer."

Understood now ? that the players potential output level IS entirely different ,and we could say,meaningless when compared to the level encoded on commercial release CD's We do however need to base equipment tests in future, on the levels commercial release CD's can actually attain, which I predict will surprise forum members, just how low these levels actually are.

As for the price, well, I think paying a bit extra for a DAC3 is money well spent. Takes less space too. Comparable performance with the Freya will cost more than a grand with the DAC warranty service that has to likely be handled somewhere in Asia if anything goes wrong.
Thanks to TimW and gvl for the clarification on Benchmark's HGC.

Well....being the cheapskate that I am, I'm unable to bring myself to spend 2K on a Dac3; even 600 bucks for the Freya S is pushing it for me. That said, if I were to find 2K lying around somewhere, the Dac3 looks like an awesome choice.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC's may well aspire to that level, but a typical commercial release CD does not have digital information encoded on it, to ever attain such levels.

It is detailed here https://www.100vinyl.com/audio-requirements-cds.html and worded with reference to the Red Book standard - as Recording Level " The numerical level of the input piece will be transferred on the CD as is (the bits on the CD recording will match the model) unless requested by the customer."

Understood now ? that the players potential output level IS entirely different ,and we could say,meaningless when compared to the level encoded on commercial release CD's We do however need to base equipment tests in future, on the levels commercial release CD's can actually attain, which I predict will surprise forum members, just how low these levels actually are.
Do you understand what full scale digital means? That link had nothing to do with what you say it does.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
That just looks like one of the screws holding the top panel down came lose in transit, rather than a manufacturing defect. A few turns of a screwdriver will fix this!

Or they opened this unit up to tweak the channel distortion matching so it was just right, then forgot to tighten all the screws up again ;)

Last edited:

KMN

Amir, will you please tell us a little more about how the unit does it's grounding? In particular I'm wondering if the pin one or shield for unused channels are isolated from the pin one or shield for the selected channel....or are all the grounds tied together within the unit?

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Will you please ask them nicely?
I would be happy to answer.

When we received the unit, and after our normal troubleshooting, we couldn't find the exact cause. Short of examining hundreds of individual parts, we determined our time was better spent simply replacing the board. We then tested the replacement and found our normal measurements. We have seen everything from liquid spilled in a unit, to a cracked resistor to parts that were slightly out of manufacturers spec. All of these things can account for the measurements seen in the first unit.

Top Bottom