• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

gvl

Major Contributor
If they offer it in black I may bite. Balanced <-> RCA with volume control can be handy.

laudio

Black is easier on my eyes.

Same for me too, but I got some silver gear.

Hope this site gets back on track reviewing good speakers soon. The nano car amp did me in. I do like the look of some Schiit gear though.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Even in the UK, very cheap for what's offered (£565) as is the Saga S at £330, which has no new competition for a single ended design I think.

stereo coffee

Audio Company
A few weeks ago I reviewed the Schiit Freya S preamplifier. It performed really well in passive mode, providing fully transparency to my ultra low distortion and and noise audio analyzer. In active mode, one channel produced excellently low distortion and noise but the other was some 9 dB worse. One or two dB is normal but not such a wide gap. After the review was published, company contacted me and offered to send me another sample to test. This is article is the results of measuring that unit. FYI, the owner of the unit who loaned his to me received a unit with a new board.

As I noted in the previous review, the ultra wide and not so tall height produces a much more attractive look than some of the other Schiit products:

The back panel shows the nice balanced connectivity:

Combined with the stepped attenuator providing good channel matching, this is a very attractive set of features.

Preamplifier Audio Measurements
I won't be repeating all the previous measurements but rather, focus on where the issue was starting with active "0 dB" mode. This is what we had before:

index.php

As you see, there is 9 dB of difference in SINAD between the two channels. Here is how the new unit performs:
View attachment 50796

The two channels are much closer and within margin of error I normally see. There is a slight drop in how good the one channel is though and we can see that in follow on measurements:

View attachment 50797

View attachment 50798

I think some variation is inevitable given the architecture here (stepped attenuator with many passive parts).

Conclusions
Honestly, there is no way I could ever build you a preamp with this functionality and performance and sell it at this price. Many of us who need a preamp have a digital source (DAC) and one analog input (Reel-to-Reel in my case, turntable for others). Having balanced preamplification including a passive and low gain mode is quite excellent here.

With the channel discrepancy fixed, I am happy to put the Schiit Freya S on my recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I have been spending every dollar you all donate but then someone asked me what I am doing for a "rainy day." I said it rains most of the time here so every day is a rainy day. It was explained to me that rainy day meant having a huge bank account that I could draw upon for wild parties and such, after this effort has gone bust. So I thought I come to you all and ask for BIG donation to fill that new account using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

But in passive mode - again it was not properly tested ? Running a passive at maximum volume tests very little other than internal cabling. It is also a unrealistic test, as very few end users use anywhere near full volume in every day use.

You need to run a passive at a number of attenuation settings - beginning where volume is first heard, and progressing upward, and I would suggest measuring be undertaken at 5 incremental points upward from where volume first commences.

I would also like to see actual RMS voltage levels when playing a CD- NOT the CD players stated capability which is broadly meaningless.

Can I suggest Vangelis 1492 track 12 be measured for its RMS Voltage. Whilst some CD players are specified at 4v RMS, There are as I understand NO actual CD's that achieve anywhere near this level. The loudest CD I know of is Mike Oldfields Amarok a 4 second section beginning at 3.45 - if you need a loud section reference.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
(or if you are brave, using software volume control).

Isn't that the truth...

I am really glad to see these guys get their Schiit together and put out some very well executed products.

I wonder how much of that had to do with this site, and them actually being held accountable...

Great re-eview, and cheers to Schiit.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whilst some CD players are specified at 4v RMS, There are as I understand NO actual CD's that achieve anywhere near this level.
CD is digital, the output level is entierly in the hands of the designer when doing the output stage. And far too many CDs digitaly clip.

stereo coffee

Audio Company
CD is digital, the output level is entierly in the hands of the designer when doing the output stage. And far too many CDs digitaly clip.

No NOT the potential capability of the player, quite differently we need to know what level a typical CD actually attains. Can you see the difference ?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No NOT the potential capability of the player, quite differently we need to know what level a typical CD actually attains. Can you see the difference ?
I can, and it's the max output level frequently these days. Lots of DACs these days offer multiple max output levels as well, especially pro focused ones.

Tks

Major Contributor
seems like schiit is finally behaving like a legit company?

They always took care of me if I had a problem, and replied to specific issues I had (like scratchy pot for example). Doesn't seem like they aren't legit, it's just until issues were brought to their attention, they perhaps weren't rectifying them. Now that people have with demonstrations, they're like normal people and trying to make things better like any company would that wants to continue in good business.

Not only are they behaving like a legit company, they're also catering to their most critical audience and actually creating products that serve to represent as evidence they're capable of high performance products (which was the biggest criticism people leveled against them - that they're not capable of competing or making products that can perform objectively well).

I took a look at the innards of the Heresy, and saw pretty decent QC (with respect to not having solder all over the bottom of the board). So anecdotally, it serves to reason at least for that instance, they're taking mitigating measures to at least improve even QC which has been their second biggest criticism.

noel_fs

They always took care of me if I had a problem, and replied to specific issues I had (like scratchy pot for example). Doesn't seem like they aren't legit, it's just until issues were brought to their attention, they perhaps weren't rectifying them. Now that people have with demonstrations, they're like normal people and trying to make things better like any company would that wants to continue in good business.

Not only are they behaving like a legit company, they're also catering to their most critical audience and actually creating products that serve to represent as evidence they're capable of high performance products (which was the biggest criticism people leveled against them - that they're not capable of competing or making products that can perform objectively well).

I took a look at the innards of the Heresy, and saw pretty decent QC (with respect to not having solder all over the bottom of the board). So anecdotally, it serves to reason at least for that instance, they're taking mitigating measures to at least improve even QC which has been their second biggest criticism.
i guess i was refering more to their "ethos"

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Indeed.

If someone told me a year ago that I might consider actually purchasing a Schiit product, I would have told them they were out of their mind... At this point, after seeing some really excellent products, I would almost buy something in penance for all of the Schiity things I may have said about them.

They have moved out of the role of being the butt of all jokes with some profoundly serious issues, to their new offerings being taken seriously and offering highly recommended products of very good value...I'd say someone is making some better overall engineering decisions, and it is so great to see.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
i guess i was refering more to their "ethos"

Of that I have no idea about tbh. I can barely understand the concept when it's pragmatically applied to people in some fashion, let alone conglomeration of peoples in groups such as corporations >_<

But I get what in general you're saying. It does seem they're now taking the initiative and not burying their heads away from feedback like so many companies all over the world in all fields do.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Many of us who need a preamp have a digital source (DAC) and one analog input (Reel-to-Reel in my case, turntable for others).
mmmm... didn't figure you for a reel to reel person -- what kind(s) are you using and what format (two-track, quarter-track, high speed) and EQ (IEC/NAB/both), if I might ask? :cool:

An even more abstruse hobby than vinyl, IMO :)

DSC_0092 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

JBH129

Agreed with the compliments to the company. Following their recent designs and interactions here, I bought a Modi 3 + Magni Heresy for my computer. I am very happy to give a US company my cash if they are providing a quality product at a good price.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't unsee it >_<

Death to the golden sample theories!

OrBm9xW.jpg

That just looks like one of the screws holding the top panel down came lose in transit, rather than a manufacturing defect. A few turns of a screwdriver will fix this!

Top Bottom