• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

DSJR

Major Contributor
Freya S is BACK IN STOCK in the UK and currently £580, which is a darned sight cheaper than the valvey version! Thanks to Schiit for putting it back into production and hope enough are sold to keep it so... No mention currently of the saga S over here.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I had a question about Freya + and sent an email to [email protected] almost two weeks ago, right after Christmas. Then I re-sent it three days ago. No reply.
Just curious because I am playing with a Freya+ now. What is your question?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Why the valve one? It's not even attractive with half a valve or four poking out the top, making it a dust-trap a few years down the line.

I'll get me coat :D

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why the valve one? It's not even attractive with half a valve or four poking out the top, making it a dust-trap a few years down the line.

I'll get me coat :D
I have the S, tested here.
Wouldn’t mind having the + for the extra mode but not sweating it.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I have the S, tested here.
Wouldn’t mind having the + for the extra mode but not sweating it.
Please don't mind me - with another 'landmark' birthday coming up this week, I'm really in 'grumpy old git' mode now :D

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Curiosity.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably April.
I eagerly await your review. Kal, do you get grief from your other Stereophile reviewers for posting here on ASR? I hope not because I, for one find it refreshing to hear your opinions and ideas and hope you continue to haunt ASR for many years to come.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

krambigmac

Hi I'm new here and I have a few questions. I'm saving up for a Benchmark AHB2 and DAC3 HGC. I don't need a preamp since the HGC has analog inputs but I've always been tube-curious and love the idea of having both the option of "pure measurement" bliss vs "thick caramel holographic tubey" bliss at the touch of a button.

I saw that the Freya + has a passive mode so I assume that lets me do the former w/o having to disconnect it from the chain. Then the Tube mode would ideally get me to the latter. Does my logic make sense for what I am trying to do? Is the Freya+ right for me in this instance considering it has the balanced in/outputs to connect to the Benchmark gear and the different modes of operation?

I'm also seeing people say that the tubes in the Freya+ don't really fit the profile I am thinking of. Does that mean I should look for a different preamp or just different tubes (and which)?

Thanks all!

Pillars

Hi I'm new here and I have a few questions. I'm saving up for a Benchmark AHB2 and DAC3 HGC. I don't need a preamp since the HGC has analog inputs but I've always been tube-curious and love the idea of having both the option of "pure measurement" bliss vs "thick caramel holographic tubey" bliss at the touch of a button.

I saw that the Freya + has a passive mode so I assume that lets me do the former w/o having to disconnect it from the chain. Then the Tube mode would ideally get me to the latter. Does my logic make sense for what I am trying to do? Is the Freya+ right for me in this instance considering it has the balanced in/outputs to connect to the Benchmark gear and the different modes of operation?

I'm also seeing people say that the tubes in the Freya+ don't really fit the profile I am thinking of. Does that mean I should look for a different preamp or just different tubes (and which)?

Thanks all!

I really enjoy the Freya S. I find the Nexus mode has a really great sound and has a flavor of it's own. I truly enjoy the preamp. The Freya S is a piece of kit that'll outlive whatever changes in gear around it due to how useful and compatible it is. I passed on the tubes in the + version and the Freya S can be had for $500ish used - no brainer! Plus it runs cool (The + runs very hot). I use it to convert BAL to SE for my RCA only power amp and another set of SE from the "S" is going to two powered woofers. I'm also able to test different DACs and setups (SE vs BAL, etc) really easy. Awesome piece of gear.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really enjoy the Freya S. I find the Nexus mode has a really great sound and has a flavor of it's own. I truly enjoy the preamp. The Freya S is a piece of kit that'll outlive whatever changes in gear around it due to how useful and compatible it is. I passed on the tubes in the + version and the Freya S can be had for $500ish used - no brainer! Plus it runs cool (The + runs very hot). I use it to convert BAL to SE for my RCA only power amp and another set of SE from the "S" is going to two powered woofers. I'm also able to test different DACs and setups (SE vs BAL, etc) really easy. Awesome piece of gear. My Freya+ only runs warm and only if using the tube buffer.

Pillars

I really enjoy the Freya S. I find the Nexus mode has a really great sound and has a flavor of it's own. I truly enjoy the preamp. The Freya S is a piece of kit that'll outlive whatever changes in gear around it due to how useful and compatible it is. I passed on the tubes in the + version and the Freya S can be had for $500ish used - no brainer! Plus it runs cool (The + runs very hot). I use it to convert BAL to SE for my RCA only power amp and another set of SE from the "S" is going to two powered woofers. I'm also able to test different DACs and setups (SE vs BAL, etc) really easy. Awesome piece of gear. My Freya+ only runs warm and only if using the tube buffer.
Right, that's arguably the main selling feature of the +. I just prefer cool running under use case conditions is all. I'm sure the + performs great as well.

Top Bottom