• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We could go through the expense and time of testing another random sample. Is it worth it? We have well water. We could test it every day to see if it is good enough to drink but we don't. My judgement is that we can get more benefit in testing other products than retesting this one.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is 99.9% people don't have an AP unit to verify it, and I am sure I cannot tell the difference between 113dB vs 104dB SINAD by ear. So far this is just speculation that 1st unit is somehow mistreated during the shipping. It would be nice to root cause this issue by manufacturer on the 1st unit, and so we can have some sort guarantee.
It would be nice, but this seems like something that can happen to any company or product, e.g. follow the following thread for something similar.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...view-and-measurements-of-benchmark-dac3.3545/

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
The problem is 99.9% people don't have an AP unit to verify it, and I am sure I cannot tell the difference between 113dB vs 104dB SINAD by ear. So far this is just speculation that 1st unit is somehow mistreated during the shipping. It would be nice to root cause this issue by manufacturer on the 1st unit, and so we can have some sort guarantee.

I haven't speculated at all. I stated our policy for not honoring warranties on second hand units. I gave examples as to the logic of that reasoning. At no time did I state this problem was due to poor shipping. I did state in a previous post that we could not find the issue in our normal trouble shooting and our time was better spent by replacing a board that functioned properly. This malfunction could have been due to one of hundreds of possible issues (like tracking down a single cracked resistor out of hundreds for example) and our money and time was much better spent providing the customer with a new board.

All of our units are tested by equipment and ears before they leave this building and are operating as designed when shipped. That's our ethos.

aHaidc

We could go through the expense and time of testing another random sample. Is it worth it? We have well water. We could test it every day to see if it is good enough to drink but we don't. My judgement is that we can get more benefit in testing other products than retesting this one.
I think it's worth testing another random sample. Based on the test of the second Freya S, I can see that the Freya S is worth-every-penny if every-Freys-S out there have same/good QC rather than buying one and pray that piece would not be defective.
P.s: I would like to have a measurement on the Freya+ as well :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think it's worth testing another random sample. Based on the test of the second Freya S, I can see that the Freya S is worth-every-penny if every-Freys-S out there have same/good QC rather than buying one and pray that piece would not be defective.
Last time I was put through this with SMSL DAC, I wound up spending $400 and got stuck with the unit after the fact (with no issue to resolve). So if someone wants this done, they have to buy a unit and pay for its shipping both ways for me to test it. I can't shoulder the expense.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

You are more than welcome to order a unit and send it to Amir for testing. I have no idea who you are but if the unit doesn’t measure as advertised, I will refund your entire purchase.

maltux

Instead of all this QC talk; why not put a power switch on the front of your pre-amps. The Noble (schitt) guy should take this seriously. Maybe after the basics are taken care of quality control can be addressed. Right now I see no quality in a product I can not comfortably turn on. :eek:

gvl

Major Contributor
Some people need to appreciate there is a physical switch at all. Many products don't have one these days and you're left with a standby mode at best.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Instead of all this QC talk; why not put a power switch on the front of your pre-amps. The Noble (schitt) guy should take this seriously. Maybe after the basics are taken care of quality control can be addressed. Right now I see no quality in a product I can not comfortably turn on. :eek:
I have two subs without a “remote” switch built in for HT and I turn them off and on via a smart switch that plugs straight into the outlet between the power cord and the receptacle. Rated for 15A.

Something like that might be worth getting if you wanted the ability to turn it on and off in a similar fashion. (I use the app from my phone)

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

Then our products are not for you.

nquery

It would be nice, but this seems like something that can happen to any company or product, e.g. follow the following thread for something similar.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...view-and-measurements-of-benchmark-dac3.3545/

So this raises an interesting question in my mind. How do we know the variability in the measurements for any given product and thus how representative they are. Obviously it's a lot better than nothing but given that some of these devices are not being produced in huge quantities they may not have tons of quality control or even concern about repeatable and reliable numbers, regardless of how good or bad they are. Unfortunately it's impossible to know without testing a statistically significant sample set.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So this raises an interesting question in my mind. How do we know the variability in the measurements for any given product and thus how representative they are. Obviously it's a lot better than nothing but given that some of these devices are not being produced in huge quantities they may not have tons of quality control or even concern about repeatable and reliable numbers, regardless of how good or bad they are. Unfortunately it's impossible to know without testing a statistically significant sample set.
I have re-tested a few products and in all cases, they have basically produced the same performance.

Milesian

Just a side note regarding purchasing second hand. Most people take care of their gear, but you can’t always assume that, and external factors such a power failures can cause damage that’s hard to discern superficially. Steve Deckert of Decware has an interesting approach. He includes a lifetime warranty to the original owner, but if he wants to sell it, the unit can be shipped back for re-certification and a new warranty issued. Yes it does cost money, as well it should,

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I must apologize. As the day gets older I tend to take myself far too seriously. With a clear head I realized I built my own music streamer out of a raspberry pi that does not even have a power switch. :facepalm:
Ah disappearing up one's own arse happens to the best of us, not everyone finds their way out so well done for that !

Top Bottom