• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Isn't that the truth...

I am really glad to see these guys get their Schiit together and put out some very well executed products.

I wonder how much of that had to do with this site, and them actually being held accountable...

Great re-eview, and cheers to Schiit.

I like to think we also hold ourselves to a certain standard, outside of public scrutiny, but we certainly aren't perfect. We do respond feedback and criticism alike and I think our releases in the past year have show that to be true.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I can't unsee it >_<

Death to the golden sample theories!

OrBm9xW.jpg

Definitely not a golden sample. However, this is not a QC problem. Amir, more than likely, took apart the unit. The top slides into a slotted groove and its simply not set in the groove properly.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
That just looks like one of the screws holding the top panel down came lose in transit, rather than a manufacturing defect. A few turns of a screwdriver will fix this!

No screws on the top, my friend. Slotted grooves in the lower chassis and the top slides in and clicks into place.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
50:50 chance of getting a good one. hmm..
I also prefer brunettes

Well, the first unit was purchased second hand. Because I cannot guarantee how this unit was treated, either by the original owner or when it was shipped, its not a fair comparison. Amir needed to test one from the mother ship so I grabbed one off the rack and sent it. I know that every single unit that leaves our doors has been tested by our equipment and human ears. We also do a great job holding up our warranty and treating customers right who are unsatisfied. I would call that a 100% chance of a good one.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Can I add thanks for keeping the UK prices reasonable too. Quite often the UK price of US shipped products seems to all but double. Hope it's now worth your while...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Definitely not a golden sample. However, this is not a QC problem. Amir, more than likely, took apart the unit.
I did not take it apart. I noticed that in the picture as well but have not had time to look at it.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
I did not take it apart. I noticed that in the picture as well but have not had time to look at it.
Fair enough. May have be jostled in shipping. Just did a visual of all the units on the rack and they looked good.

Belgarathian

the plot thickens....

AudioTodd

I like to think we also hold ourselves to a certain standard, outside of public scrutiny, but we certainly aren't perfect. We do respond feedback and criticism alike and I think our releases in the past year have show that to be true.
I must say that I had a very minor issue that many would have thought was silly to worry about and your people made it right and did so quickly and courteously. It is great to see you produce such good value and do it right here. I’m gratified to see Schiit earn recommendations here!

Russ_L

Forum Donor
You sure about that?

From the Benchmark website, there is no mention of a pass-through for the analog inputs on the Dac3. The volume control would have to work in both the digital domain and analog domain; I don't see any explanation of this on the Benchmark website.

If you're right, then the Dac3 is functionally equivalent to the Freya S (plus external DAC), though at a price of 2 grand, the Dac3 is significantly more expensive than the Freya S, assuming your choice of external DAC to be used with the Freya S is less than a grand.

That is correct but their LA4 preamp allows for fixing the gain of any input (unity in my case) when the volume will be controlled by an external unit.

Russ

1582145328172.png

Tks

Major Contributor
mmmm... didn't figure you for a reel to reel person -- what kind(s) are you using and what format (two-track, quarter-track, high speed) and EQ (IEC/NAB/both), if I might ask? :cool:

An even more abstruse hobby than vinyl, IMO :)

by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Even a reproduction of a device like that would cost more than some products in the same category today. Look at all those knobs and meters, that thing looks awesome!

That just looks like one of the screws holding the top panel down came lose in transit, rather than a manufacturing defect. A few turns of a screwdriver will fix this!

Meh no idea, I just thought it would be something to chuckle at considering people in the thread instantly started talking about golden samples.

Fair enough. May have be jostled in shipping. Just did a visual of all the units on the rack and they looked good.

I was right ;) no golden samples folks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
mmmm... didn't figure you for a reel to reel person -- what kind(s) are you using and what format (two-track, quarter-track, high speed) and EQ (IEC/NAB/both), if I might ask? :cool:
Two track, both IES and NAB. It is an Otari B5050 deck:
index.php

stereo coffee

Audio Company
Do you understand what full scale digital means? That link had nothing to do with what you say it does.
You are right "The numerical level of the piece will be transferred on the CD as is " is of course being quite hopeful and ambitious to capture the available dynamics of the piece, as it will in 99% of cases be less.

jsy

Is my understanding of the tests incorrect, or do they not show whether the strong performance of this unit is maintained across the full volume range?

I'm curious to know if the attenuator has any impact on distortion or matching, but it looks like the tests were run at full volume only

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is my understanding of the tests incorrect, or do they not show whether the strong performance of this unit is maintained across the full volume range?
We went through that in the first review thread.

Reactions: jsy
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm curious to know if the attenuator has any impact on distortion or matching, but it looks like the tests were run at full volume only
Actually no. I set the level lower than max because otherwise it had an extra 6 dB of gain. This is for the dashboard. The sweeps use max volume.

Reactions: jsy
Top Bottom