• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

Shanman

Forum Donor
I don't seem to have confidence it will do what I need. I need to send a few source inputs to my power amp, but see nothing that indicates a subwoofer could be somehow integrated. I want a preamp to run a 2.1 rig.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, I contacted Schiit early last month about the Freya S being restocked as the Freya + was the only version on the site.

I was told it was NLA, discontinued.

Happened to be on their site today, and there sits Freya S in stock. Perhaps enough inquired that they brought it back....

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s

Nice! Thanks for the heads-up!

I’ve often wondered if a Freya S feeding a Hypex or Purifi amp with the amp in low-gain, buffer-bypass mode could out-measure the amp by itself in higher-gain mode.

Pillars

I don't seem to have confidence it will do what I need. I need to send a few source inputs to my power amp, but see nothing that indicates a subwoofer could be somehow integrated. I want a preamp to run a 2.1 rig.
You can use the SE output for sub so long as your sub has trim. I've used the Freya S this way.

AudioTodd

Wish they’d do a run of Saga S’s in black - I have one in silver and I think it is totally transparent to my ears and like the remote functionality it can add to even a vintage system.

Shanman

Forum Donor
You can use the SE output for sub so long as your sub has trim. I've used the Freya S this way.

Sorry to sound ignorant, but by trim you mean a volume control, yes? I could use a pair of the SE outputs with a Y adapter to the back of a typical plate amp powered sub like my Outlaw X-12?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, I contacted Schiit early last month about the Freya S being restocked as the Freya + was the only version on the site.

Happened to be on their site today, and there sits Freya S in stock. Perhaps enough inquired that they brought it back....

That's bizarre but I'm glad they reconsidered, after seeing the good measurements Amir got from it.

gvl

Major Contributor
This is a perfect item for my collection of things that I bought because I wanted them but not actually needed.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to sound ignorant, but by trim you mean a volume control, yes? I could use a pair of the SE outputs with a Y adapter to the back of a typical plate amp powered sub like my Outlaw X-12?
2DDC7294-C630-4880-AB94-9E89D7439A9C.jpg

Or just use L/R internal crossover inputs

T.M.Noble

Audio Company

It's a good product and there was enough interest.

Surprise!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the product has a good showing and sales our strong I would imagine we will offer it in both colors in the future. No guarantees, sorry.
Does the Freya+ measure as well?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If measurements are what you want, the Freya S is superior to Freya +.
Oh man, you had to go and tell me that...What about when the Freya+ is using the passive input, not the differential or tube buffer? I assumed they would be similar in that case but maybe not. Now I'll have to buy the S...

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
Oh man, you had to go and tell me that...What about when the Freya+ is using the passive input, not the differential or tube buffer? I assumed they would be similar in that case but maybe not. Now I'll have to buy the S...
Well in passive mode you would be measuring the limit of the measurement device so yes they are exactly the same in that regard.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trade me for a couple of weeks..:p

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well in passive mode you would be measuring the limit of the measurement device so yes they are exactly the same in that regard.
Whew! Thank goodness.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom