• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Audio? Ok.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know why this company chose such an, um, interesting name for itself? Neither of its founders is named Schiit.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
According to the story Jason Stoddard posted on Head-FI:

Between doing schematics and laying out boards and researching suppliers and screwing up the first design and having to do it all over again—while at the same time buying a new scope and other assorted test equipment, getting prototype parts, doing research online, etc, it always seemed like I was running out to the garage (where the workbench was).

“I’ve got schiit to do,” I’d tell Lisa, and disappear.

She’s endlessly patient, but one day, she’d finally had enough. “Why don’t you just call it Schiit?” she shot back, crossing her arms.

“Call what schiit?”

“The new company. You’re always saying you’ve got schiit to do. Why not just call it Schiit?”

ta240

Major Contributor
Does anyone know why this company chose such an, um, interesting name for itself? Neither of its founders is named Schiit.
My guess is the extra publicity of people talking about it and nobody is going to forget the name or confuse it with another company. Even searching for the regular spelling brings them up as a result.

On a side note, years ago I saw an ad in a magazine for a company called Big Ass Fans; they on the other hand chose a difficult name to google...

carlcamper

It sounds Germanic/Nordic, which they have so far kept up in their product names.

Chaconne

I think it's a stupid name. Whenever I see it or hear it, I picture a bunch of grown men sitting in a meeting and giggling like a bunch of adolescent loser nerds over the proposed name for their new company. Still, lots of people think it's cool for some reason, and a lot of people seem to like their...well...stuff.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Yes, that is our name. Shih-tah. It's a proud German name, host to a long line of audio engineers who slaved away in crumbling Teutonic fortresses as lightning lashed the dark lands outside, working to perfect the best amplification devices in the world...

Or, well, no. Yep, Schiit is our name, and it's pronounced, well, like "hey man, that's some really good Schiit!" And now that we have your attention..

JSmith

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It sounds Germanic/Nordic, which they have so far kept up in their product names.
"Hell, the word was meaningless for, what, 80% of the world that didn’t speak English? And if you spelled it funny, it could sound vaguely German."

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
American "dude, bro!" humour, which has its time and place, not here though, IMO. What can be funny in one place is unprofessional in another, and probably downright offensive in some international markets.

JSmith

Master Contributor
What can be funny in one place is unprofessional in another, and probably downright offensive in some international markets.
Yeah here in Aus shih-tah is literally slang for the toilet (shitter) and not considered appropriate to use in most circumstances.

Although Schiit have done well to improve their products performance wise, I still can't stand the general look and symbols used.

JSmith

Digby

Major Contributor
Yeah here in Aus shih-tah is literally slang for the toilet (shitter) and not considered appropriate to use in most circumstances.
Interesting, I thought Aussies were pretty sweary as a rule (so don't take offense to it easily), or is that just a bad stereotype? Your tennis chap certainly doesn't seem to try and live it down. I don't think anyone will pronounce it shih-tah anyway, they will just pronounce it schiit.

I meant more outside the anglosphere, especially socially conservative countries in Asia. Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan. Plenty of money going around over there, I doubt they see the humour (or attempt at it) in quite the same way. This kind of thing could be detrimental to a company trying to gain a foothold in those places.

It reminds me of a record label called We Release Whatever The F*** We Want, sometimes abbrev WRWTFWW. What they wanted to release, generally, was a fair amount of Japanese music. I have my doubts how impressed Japanese artists would be by such a name or if the label just told them the acronym. Tone deaf is the term that comes to mind.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Interesting, I thought Aussies were pretty sweary as a rule (so don't take offense easily to it), or is that just a bad stereotype?
Well of course it depends on the company and the circumstances... but yeah, generally a stereotype. Sydney and Melbourne in particular (the largest cities) are very multicultural.
This kind of thing could be detrimental to a company trying to gain a foothold in those places.
I agree... even though the name is a little amusing, I wouldn't buy anything from their brand personally.

JSmith

Digby

Major Contributor
Well of course it depends on the company and the circumstances... but yeah, generally a stereotype.
Sadly, it only takes a few bad apples to give the wrong impression.

Outside of the west (Spaniards, in particular, know better), somehow the British have been able to maintain a reputation of being restrained and polite, as opposed to football hooligans....or whinging poms ;).

I agree... even though the name is a little amusing, I wouldn't buy anything from their brand personally.
I would buy something, if it serves my purposes. The worst I can say is it is childish, but that is only my perspective.

Aneal

I think it's a great name for a company especially when they're trying to make a name for themselves. Especially in a market where it pride itself on how old a company is not how good the equipment actually are. If you don't believe me look like this entire thread talking about just their name.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Any news on the QC issues with their Happpens DACs?

JSmith

Master Contributor
When a birthday is coming up and an audio gift is required...

giphy.gif

... as that would be, well, odd. Spoken Morgan Freeman has... weird this Schiit is.

JSmith

Top Bottom