• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Audio? Ok.

sofrep811

Like anything else, some folks think it's a funny name and others don't. My first POS was a Bifrost, then a Saga, and finally the Modius. I still use the Modius which allows me to tell people that there is a piece of Schiit on my audio rack. :D
I've own several of their products. Love everything they represent. However, the only product I liked was the first gen BiFrost I owned. I bought the Modi twice --because I thought maybe I was missing something. Turns out I just did not like it. It sounded harsh compared to other phono preamps I'd owned.

Still wonder what happened to that DSD DAC they pulled from their product line? Always wanted to try it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Love it or hate it, the dumb name does get everyone talking about it. Which is the first step in marketing.

OP
K

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love it or hate it, the dumb name does get everyone talking about it. Which is the first step in marketing.

It's just DACs and amps, and I can get them from makers that weren't named by engineers with a tin ear for wit.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just DACs and amps, and I can get them from makers that weren't named by engineers with a tin ear for wit.
I tend to agree, but obviously a lot of people are buying them. Name recognition is a real thing.

TSB

This reminds me of when people complain about "stupid TV add by company X" - maybe the guys at company X are not that stupid after all

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Potty humour.
Frat boy potty humour (which, I'd opine, is even worse).

Those in North America of a certain age (indeed, nigh-on superannuated) likely remember a Smuckers (jams and jellies) ad, memorably if crassly (and perhaps predictably) lampooned by the first-generation cast of Saturday Night Live.

aschen

1% more high brow here I think it is satire on the traditionally extra stuffy high end audio crowd

Never owned any of their stuff but it sure looks nice and good value for made in usa. I see they have a huge A/B linear power supply Mono block now. Interesting. 110lbs a pair and "only" 200wpc is a bit surprising even by old school amp standards.

I get some disdain for tubes, phono, class A, odd architecture dacs and the like but its a lot more forgivable at sensible prices.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Indeed. While my setup sounds like a Piece of Schiit from an objective standpoint, I still love my POS gears as they never fail to give me audio nirvana every single day :D. They're reliable AF too and never ever had issues with them whatsoever

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Branding and naming can be very subjective. Bottom line is build good products at a fair price. And back it up with good customer service. Do that and when people look at your logo it will stand for something greater than the craft of some marketing guy. For the most part Schiit, seems to be doing a pretty good job with that. BTW, I’m a advertising creative director by profession. :)

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You’ll also notice that they don’t have a giant “SCHIIT” logo emblazoned on the faceplates of their products, like McIntosh does, but rather just have their logo mark. My guess is that is very intentional.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. While my setup sounds like a Piece of Schiit from an objective standpoint, I still love my POS gears as they never fail to give me audio nirvana every single day :D. They're reliable AF too and never ever had issues with them whatsoever
Don't get me wrong. I have no real opinion technically; they may (or may not) be great. But the name draws attention.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm in advertising too. I think the name is a very smart play, and they have fun with it, adding in all of the Norse-themed product names. And as you noted, the products just have the nice tasteful logo on the front. I love their promo copy. I have and use the Magni headphone amps (v2 and v3), Modi 3 DAC and a Fulla v1 headphone/dac dongle amp that I use at the office. So have not played with their higher end stuff, but the value products perform very, very well.

Their power amps are not as appealing to me as other class D designs for the money, I'm not into high watts and heat anymore. For those needing a decently made modern preamp with a volume control, the Saga S is a good buy at $300.

I also like JDS Labs, my only buy so far being an Atom DAC+ - I wanted an alternate to the Modi that has 36-bit and DSD capability - from a listening standpoint, though, I can't pick out differences from the Modi, even though they use an ESS chip rather than AK4490.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question: How many of their products do you have to own, before you can lay claim to possessing a real crock of Schiit?

You have to get them all so we can all say you’re Fulla Schiit

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The naming of their company is brilliant and should receive much more praise from the marketing community. Was very bold to call it Schiit Audio.
If they really had a sense of irony, they'd move their headquarters to Phuket.

phuket-island.jpg

Especially when it’s Sherlock’s birthday.
I am now, officially, rolling on the floor here.

Top Bottom