• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Asgard 3 Headphone Amp & DAC Review

Coldsnap

Just wondering, with the -6db when using the dac, are people worried they are not going to have enough volume to run their headphones?

I use an HD 600 (have had a 650 too) with my Asgard 3 w/ AK DAC and my volume pot on high gain is at about 2:00pm (or 65% or so up). This is even with a -3db set on my EQ profile. I've run a -11db level for a harmon curve EQ and still have enough headroom.

So just wondering if this is a volume headphone worry or people thinking you are not getting the full dynamics out of a headphone with something like a -6db drop?

wolf_walker

So, I've spent the evening on my newly arrived Asgard 3 and mostly my HE 4xx.
Amp runs a loooot cooler than the Asgard 2 did, I miss the power light and the recessed
grill on top was more pleasing, but it's fine, excellent for a couple hundred bucks. I'd really love
a modern proper dac module though.

Regarding the input voltage, I find myself, depending on the headphone, at 3 o'clock on the dial or a hair more
fairly regular, largely due to the 5-8db pull Peace has for clipping on some of the EQ profiles I use.
I had, clearly incorrectly, assumed that with so much more power I'd be more in the 12 o'clock area
but it's fine, there is volume left if need be.

WilliamF

I returned my 2nd bad Topping L30 and replaced it with the Schiit Asgard 3 - no DAC module. I am using it with the Topping E30 that was paired with the L30 previously. I am simply enjoying the music. Using HD6XX, DT1990 and HE 4XX headphones. I rarely turn the volume knob much past 12 to 1 o'clock on low gain.

Veri

Master Contributor
So, I've spent the evening on my newly arrived Asgard 3 and mostly my HE 4xx.
Amp runs a loooot cooler than the Asgard 2 did, I miss the power light and the recessed
grill on top was more pleasing, but it's fine, excellent for a couple hundred bucks. I'd really love
a modern proper dac module though.

Regarding the input voltage, I find myself, depending on the headphone, at 3 o'clock on the dial or a hair more
fairly regular, largely due to the 5-8db pull Peace has for clipping on some of the EQ profiles I use.
I had, clearly incorrectly, assumed that with so much more power I'd be more in the 12 o'clock area
but it's fine, there is volume left if need be.
Any appreciable improvement over Asgard 2? :)

wolf_walker

Any appreciable improvement over Asgard 2? :)

No, if I'm honest. And the Asgard 2 seemed to be a bit more premium in feel, mostly the inset two tone grill, and I liked the visible
power light, but the switches on the front are nice and the 3 no doubt has more umph. I suspect the 2 cost more to build, at least the case.
I'm ok with it, I got the current clearance price for
my 2 on ebay and it was maybe eight months old? Hopefully nothing else comes along and I can just stick with this one.

The 3 is MUCH cooler, it gets warm but not hot, the 2 was HOT, which was technically okay but now I can put my DAC on top of it and
save a little space without worry, so there's that. If they come out with a better DAC module for a hundred bucks or little under I'll be
even happier.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Well I was going to give the Asgard 3 a shot but Schiit tried to fleece me at checkout with $34 in fees. Even tried to collect out of state sales tax from me. Absolutely ridiculous.

@JohnYang1997

What's the equivalent Topping alternative to the Asgard 3?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A30Pro, except it has an external power supply.
The Asgard will be cheaper though.
A30Pro has better specs.

Veri

Master Contributor
If the budget is $199, there's only the Topping A50s which gets close. Less power, but bonus 4.4mm balanced output. Which headphones will you be driving, exactly? If you happen to have 4.4mm balanced opportunity, it's a pretty great choice for the price.

The A30 Pro + D30 Pro combination should be in the $600 range, individual pricing to be determined. It's not yet for sale. So the A30 Pro will likely be 50% pricier than the Asgard. But you get more inputs, power and features.

wolf_walker

Well I was going to give the Asgard 3 a shot but Schiit tried to fleece me at checkout with $34 in fees. Even tried to collect out of state sales tax from me. Absolutely ridiculous.

@JohnYang1997

They don't have much choice on taxes, $20.35 worth on mine for Oklahoma, and $36.93 for 2 day fedex since I'm impatient and halfway across the country. Pretty average.
Been a good while since I bought something online without paying state sales tax, it was the golden age lol...

Tortie

Forum Donor
The
They don't have much choice on taxes, $20.35 worth on mine for Oklahoma, and $36.93 for 2 day fedex since I'm impatient and halfway across the country. Pretty average.
Been a good while since I bought something online without paying state sales tax, it was the golden age lol...

The shipping charge when combined with the sales tax was jarring to see. Not used to paying shipping online.

Tortie

Forum Donor
If the budget is $199, there's only the Topping A50s which gets close. Less power, but bonus 4.4mm balanced output. Which headphones will you be driving, exactly? If you happen to have 4.4mm balanced opportunity, it's a pretty great choice for the price.

The A30 Pro + D30 Pro combination should be in the $600 range, individual pricing to be determined. It's not yet for sale. So the A30 Pro will likely be 50% pricier than the Asgard. But you get more inputs, power and features.

I'm using a Sony Z7. I also have two Senns, the 580 and 650 which I don't really bother with.

I think in going to just bite the bullet and buy the Asgard. There were qualities to the Magni 3 that I liked and I've always preferred the sound of discrete class A.

wolf_walker

The

The shipping charge when combined with the sales tax was jarring to see. Not used to paying shipping online.

It's a drag, I believe the supreme court decided states could demand that in 2018, but it varies by state what they actually require. The vast majority
have taken advantage of that revenue stream though, even ebay charges and collects state sales tax without the seller
having any involvement in it now. I've no doubt there's fleecing going on but it ain't Schiit doin it. Shipping costs are through the roof these days too, it's a huge paint selling online.

Tortie

Forum Donor

My headphones are easy to drive. Sony MDR-Z7. Don't need a lot of power. With the Magni 3 on high gain I was usually around 10pm on the knob.

The
It's a drag, I believe the supreme court decided states could demand that in 2018, but it varies by state what they actually require. The vast majority
have taken advantage of that revenue stream though, even ebay charges and collects state sales tax without the seller
having any involvement in it now. I've no doubt there's fleecing going on but it ain't Schiit doin it. Shipping costs are through the roof these days too, it's a huge paint selling online.

No doubt. I don't hold Schiit at fault. They apparently take a different tact than other retailers when it comes to shipping. Instead of factoring shipping into the listed price of a product they break it out. Which is their prerogative. I don't encounter that very often.

Tortie

Forum Donor
No, if I'm honest. And the Asgard 2 seemed to be a bit more premium in feel, mostly the inset two tone grill, and I liked the visible
power light, but the switches on the front are nice and the 3 no doubt has more umph. I suspect the 2 cost more to build, at least the case.
I'm ok with it, I got the current clearance price for
my 2 on ebay and it was maybe eight months old? Hopefully nothing else comes along and I can just stick with this one.

The 3 is MUCH cooler, it gets warm but not hot, the 2 was HOT, which was technically okay but now I can put my DAC on top of it and
save a little space without worry, so there's that. If they come out with a better DAC module for a hundred bucks or little under I'll be
even happier.

Well, I ordered an Asgard 3. I'll report back my impressions when I get it. Pairing it with a V-DAC for now and using my Z7 headphones.

Sounds like you preferred the A2 over the A3 in both sound and aesthetics. I've read that the A2 had a woolier warmed over sound. Some people loved it but others found it too colored and lacking in detail.

I had an opportunity to buy the A2 for $119 but passed. There's still one available if anyone's interested.

bb8

Might have just had some bad luck, but after getting an old serial L30 of Amazon went for the Asgard and got 2 bad units. First one had a bad gain switch, second one had pretty bad distortion in one of the channels. The first one I got would occasionally work for a bit and it was a good amp with lots of power. It drove my low impedance IEM and 600 Ohm headphones really well. Also, I don't know what is going on but it has a sort of tubey sound to it where it feels like you sacrifice a little detail for a pleasant sound. Maybe just my imagination or a side-effect of the defective unit. Schiit support was really quick to respond and issue a refund, but just wondering if there is a QA issue going on.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Might have just had some bad luck, but after getting an old serial L30 of Amazon went for the Asgard and got 2 bad units. First one had a bad gain switch, second one had pretty bad distortion in one of the channels. The first one I got would occasionally work for a bit and it was a good amp with lots of power. It drove my low impedance IEM and 600 Ohm headphones really well. Also, I don't know what is going on but it has a sort of tubey sound to it where it feels like you sacrifice a little detail for a pleasant sound. Maybe just my imagination or a side-effect of the defective unit. Schiit support was really quick to respond and issue a refund, but just wondering if there is a QA issue going on.

So you got refunded for the second Asgard unit?

Top Bottom