• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Asgard 3 Headphone Amp & DAC Review

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
An impedance spike only affects the sound when a high source resistance is present. Most amps are low output R.
In this case the output voltage (which determines the loudness) is the same only the drawn power in that frequency range is lower.
So if dampening factor (the famous 8:1 rule) is not respected, the spike will manifest itself as a change in the sound, interesting. Thanks.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
I thought the were the same drivers, minus the diffuser in the Classic version. Audeze’s website lists regular LCD-2 at 70 ohms with 101dB/1mw sensitivity.
My manual states 93 dB/mW, but they seem to have changed the values for some reason.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This happens when the 350 Ohm HD800 is connected to 120 Ohm output compared to 0.2 Ohm output. (it has a 600 Ohm impedance around 100Hz, very low Q)) with a D.F. of 2.5

120r-2.1db.png

This happens when you do the same with a HD599 (D.F. = 0.4) here the '1/8th' guideline (its not a rule) should be followed.

120-ohm-r1.png

This happens with a D.F. of 0.25 (also a dynamic driver) and in this case the 1/8th guideline is not really applicable and driving this one from a higher output R does not have any consequences.

120-ohm-12.3db.png

This has nothing to do with gain though.

Last edited:

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
This happens when the 350 Ohm HD800 is connected to 120 Ohm output compared to 0.2 Ohm output. (it has a 600 Ohm impedance) with a D.F. of 2.5

120r-2.1db.png

This happens when you do the same with a HD599 (D.F. = 0.4)

120-ohm-r1.png

This happens with a D.F. of 0.25 (also a dynamic driver)

120-ohm-12.3db.png
What I supposed. By the way, thanks for the graphs.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
Interesting... What year were yours manufactured? Maybe they didn’t update the manual immediately after switching drivers in 2016.
I think either 2018 or 2019, I don't recall the exact year but they are recent.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Well, after listening to mine for a few days ( darn nice actually) I threw mine on my bench. Now, from the specs, this thing is better than the Focusrite 2i2 I have for my speaker measuring. The cheap IO box is no laboratory instrument! I am running 24 bit/ 96K for these tests using RightMark. Scarlett is in ASIO mode. Quick test with TrueRTA is similar, but not as fine a resolution and it only uses Windows Direct.

Asgard as the DAC, into the line in of the Scarlett, adjusting the gains carefully, I get a THD of the set @ .0020. Lower than the Scarlett in loopback. (.0031) Noise floor is around 105 dB combined which is lower by 5 dB from the loopback. Tells me it is a better DAC than the Focusrite, but darn is their A2D good for a $150 IO box!

So, this sample can clearly resolve more than 16 bits. What it's actual performance is I do not know as it is better than my bench with ONE EXCEPTION. 60, 120, 280 bleed through is @ around 99dB. It is below 110 for the Scarlett in loopback. ( USB powered) I think they should do a little better on this. I can. I have had no issues with USB stability, locking on or any such nuisance. Quite a "tick" on power down if it drops before the amp, a problem I am addressing elsewhere. So, unlike my experience with the Topping E30 and SMSL Scanscrit , I am keeping this bugger. Yea, it does run quite hot. Is it as good as separate Modi-3 and Asgard for the same price? Can't say.

DAC is audibly better than my old one. I asked my wife ( incredible hearing and sensitivity to distortion) if it was "OK" and she commented " better". If I can crank up trumpets to live levels and she does not run from the room, I got it done.

Theriverlethe

Well, after listening to mine for a few days ( darn nice actually) I threw mine on my bench. Now, from the specs, this thing is better than the Focusrite 2i2 I have for my speaker measuring. The cheap IO box is no laboratory instrument! I am running 24 bit/ 96K for these tests using RightMark. Scarlett is in ASIO mode. Quick test with TrueRTA is similar, but not as fine a resolution and it only uses Windows Direct.

Asgard as the DAC, into the line in of the Scarlett, adjusting the gains carefully, I get a THD of the set @ .0020. Lower than the Scarlett in loopback. (.0031) Noise floor is around 105 dB combined which is lower by 5 dB from the loopback. Tells me it is a better DAC than the Focusrite, but darn is their A2D good for a $150 IO box!

So, this sample can clearly resolve more than 16 bits. What it's actual performance is I do not know as it is better than my bench with ONE EXCEPTION. 60, 120, 280 bleed through is @ around 99dB. It is below 110 for the Scarlett in loopback. ( USB powered) I think they should do a little better on this. I can. I have had no issues with USB stability, locking on or any such nuisance. Quite a "tick" on power down if it drops before the amp, a problem I am addressing elsewhere. So, unlike my experience with the Topping E30 and SMSL Scanscrit , I am keeping this bugger. Yea, it does run quite hot. Is it as good as separate Modi-3 and Asgard for the same price? Can't say.

DAC is audibly better than my old one. I asked my wife ( incredible hearing and sensitivity to distortion) if it was "OK" and she commented " better". If I can crank up trumpets to live levels and she does not run from the room, I got it done.

But was your dog tapping his toes?

D

Deleted member 22273

anyone have 4490 dac card? satisfied? want all in one! do not read much positive about integrated 4490dac card

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Stevko. Please read post 208. I am very satisfied. Hindsight, I probably would have been happy with the Atom DAC and preamp too for a few less quid, but I wanted the all in one. A reason for the separates is the external power supply, so 60 Hz and harmonics would measure lower. I can't hear them so no matter, but I know they are there.

Also note, I sent back a Topping E-30 and a SMSL Sandscrit because they did not perform as specified.

Theriverlethe

anyone have 4490 dac card? satisfied? want all in one! do not read much positive about integrated 4490dac card

Measured performance is underwhelming but it sounds fine. I sent mine back because it limits output by 6dB.

D

Deleted member 22273

Measured performance is underwhelming but it sounds fine. I sent mine back because it limits output by 6dB.
will i have enough power to drive my DT770-250omh to ok listening level?
maybe a ifi all in one unit is a better option?

D

Deleted member 22273

I also consider the phonocard. it have 42dB of gain. how will it work with rega carbon with 2.5mV output?
I allready have a modi 3.
And i dont`t want a "hole"/ useless switch if i buy a asgard

Veri

Master Contributor
I also consider the phonocard. it have 42dB of gain. how will it work with rega carbon with 2.5mV output?
I allready have a modi 3.
If you have modi 3, getting asgard+phono card seems like a good plan.. No useless space for empty card, then.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
If I had bought the plain Asgard, I would have added some jacks for a second input. One of my reasons for buying it with the internal DAC was to have two sources.

I have plenty of gain. Sure, I turn it up higher than I did on my Nakamichi, but it goes higher than I would ever play feeding my Parasound 2125. I don't care if normal is @ 11, and Oh-My-God loud is @ 3.

Maybe measured performance is a generation old. Better than some big names that are several generations old ( Cambridge, Parasound and other DAC/Pre offerings for much higher prices) . Maybe new Toppings measure better, ( mine did not) but how far below detectable does it matter? It is orders of magnitude better than 99% of what my music library was recorded on. Probably 85% was remastered off tape and a chunk of the rest recorded by the artist in a basement.

If I were to do it again, I think I would go for the JDS Atom stack. DAC, pre, and tone. Or maybe the Modi-3 and an e-bay pre-tone unit. I use the JDS tone. Heck, as much hassle as I am having with my crossovers, I probably should have just DIY 'd a preamp.

threni

Major Contributor
will i have enough power to drive my DT770-250omh to ok listening level?
maybe a ifi all in one unit is a better option?

I have the Asgard 3 with the 4490 DAC card, which sounds really very very good to me, and I use 150ohm HD 660S headphones. I can't imagine anyone finding that the Asgard 3 doesn't provide enough power with these headphones, and I'm not sure the extra 100 ohms is going to make any difference here.

I've just read how badly the DAC measured here. I wonder if the difference between it and more expensive ones is audible? I massively prefer the convenience of having the DAC in the box than having another box connected to it. It's amusing that the Apple usb dongle rates a lot more highly. I have two Raspberry Pis; one connected to the Apple dongle, and the other connected to this Asgard 3/4490 DAC combination. There's no comparison regarding sound quality. I suspect that's down to the amp in the dongle. I'm assuming there's a point where improvements in signal to noise ratio, distortion etc just isn't audible. What is that point? Perhaps Schiit (and the others towards the right of the chart) have simply determined that anything over a given number is essentially perfect? Please point me at a page if you know of one.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I have the Asgard 3 with the 4490 DAC card, which sounds really very very good to me, and I use 150ohm HD 660S headphones. I can't imagine anyone finding that the Asgard 3 doesn't provide enough power with these headphones, and I'm not sure the extra 100 ohms is going to make any difference here.
The 660S can easily pull out a couple more dB at same V-out compared to HD650/600 ;) not drastically but they are more sensitive.

ForWhomHow

Hello everyone.

I consider to buy A3 but have doubt whether it will play well with my low impedance headphones Audio Technica ath-990z (44 ohms). Will they pair well?

Top Bottom