• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SCH-REMOTE Digital VU/Spectrum Meter Review

Rate this VU/Spectrum Meter

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 66 47.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 64 46.0%

• Total voters

ocinn

Don't know what to think about it. I would probably play with it one day and then put it in some drawer. A semi-professional analyzer like the TC-Electronics Clarity M (Stereo) is not horribly expensive and just on a different level than this.
Yeah I agree, I have the TC unit, and it's totally on a different level for a remarkably low price considering what it is, I think I got mine for $250 on sale from thomann.

Not to mention the ability to send it digital inputs which makes gain matching irrelevant. 0db is 0db.

My computer sends toslink to a splitter, which then goes to my MiniDSP, and the TC unit. Clean setup with no bugs or hassle. This device wouldn't even work in my system (and many of those in this forum), since any of my analog lines are heavily processed and crossed over.

balanced version and i'm in!

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Very cool. I need something like this for my Wiim pro and the VU since it looks cool (no bong required)
We REALLY need to convince WiiM to keep the analog and digital outputs on at the same time for this...

ErVikingo

NoxMorbis

I love it! I wish Douk would make one like they did, similar to their stand alone VU meter only deal. I would buy that so fast. (Given it is clean, of course.)
61GxgmPnIqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

fastfreddy666

It's really cool. But with some software on a pc and a monitor... you have endless possibilities. Why do I need a standalone solution?
I still want one for some reason. I must resist. Help me.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure I've figured out where you stand, @amirm :oops:
To some; this is centerfold material.
To others; this is a dopamine rush, through visual excitation.

To me; reading your post is about the most fun any VU meter has ever offered me!:)

Godataloss

Does it have a microphone? Even if it's transparent, seems somewhat stupid to loop into your system if the only thing you're really gaining is separate L/R channel display. I added sound active leds to this sound damping panel I made with a vintage Panton tapestry. It's kinda tacky, but my kids like it.

1682105033013.png

MrSoul4470

Sorry. I don't understand the applause for this "thing". It's not reliable with it's analog inputs, doesn't even come in a housing. Basically complete crap and wasted money.

If you want something real then get this...
20230421_225441.jpg

Sorry, dark picture but it's close to midnight in Germany.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry. I don't understand the applause for this "thing". It's not reliable with it's analog inputs,
Why is it not reliable?
doesn't even come in a housing.
There is a housing available. Some may even find it an advantage to not have a housing.
Basically complete crap and wasted money.

View attachment 280706
Is 5x as expensive and has no analog inputs. It has a totally different purpose. It’s an actual monitoring tool. The reviewed product is just a nice visual gimmick. They both have their place and value.

It’s like calling a hammer crap because it can’t deal with crews…

Last edited:

D700

What I wished the device had was IR remote. Then you could cycle through the visualizations in non-desktop applications.

Conclusions
... I really like to see audio companies innovate in this domain and bring back attractive front panels sporting informative and beautiful displays. Modules like EVOR04 enable this as they seem to be built for OEMs to include in their audio devices.
Preach Amirm!

Slim Devices had this figured out 15 years ago, someone just buy the IP! Logitech es el stinkadoodoo for shelving them.

slimdevices_squeezebox_review.jpg

NoxMorbis

Sorry. I don't understand the applause for this "thing". It's not reliable with it's analog inputs, doesn't even come in a housing. Basically complete crap and wasted money.

View attachment 280706
I don't want a piece of electronics analysis equipment on my 'rack.'. I want something specific to visuals, the 70s VU and spectrum 'analyzers,' which should just be called "visualizers."

BostonJack

Editor

To me; reading your post is about the most fun any VU meter has ever offered me!:)
I say yes to all of the above.
when I was making serious money, buying this would be "a little pick me up" as my boss would say.
I'm really tempted.
Nothing wrong with dopamine at the proper titration.
(of course a multi k $ Swiss watch was my boss' idea of a pick me up)
cheap gadgets are cool, for certain values of cool.

I respect amir for not snarking on a bit of inexpensive electronics that has a *lot* of love rubbed into it.
here: love == software effort and display design

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Probably need an on/off switch like this or does it auto-off?

Daverz

Major Contributor

pjn

Dopamine definitely - seriously useless, seriously fun and like Amir, takes me back to the days of my youth. I think I want one...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I would be having a epileptic fit if I was in front of those dancing meters... (j/k). :D They look nice.
I remember now why I shelved this thing. It’s very bright, and there doesn’t appear to be any way to dim it.

IMG_0804.jpeg

Top Bottom