• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scarface 4K DTS-X

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just queuing up the copy of Scarface I picked up from BestBuy today.
Hoping the picture and sound live up to my expectations.
One of the best movies done in the last few decades, hope this mix does it justice.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
One morning when I woke up at amirm's house I was shocked to discover him running around in his underpants wielding a huge machine gun and sporting white powder all over his face...

" Say hello to my little friend" an accurate description.

So, it was date night?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It has been so long I have forgotten if I watched it or not! Would have been in VHS days or was the DVD out then?
Movie released in late 1983, DVD's late 1996

digicidal

Major Contributor

concorde1

I just received Scarface Gold Edition 4K UHD (also has the standard BD included in box).

The official review on the Blu-ray website suggested the 4K is preferable.

I am startled. The 4K is unbearably DARK in picture. The included standard BD is fine.

Do I need to stop trusting the Blu-ray website for reviews? The 4K is just ridiculously dark. Or is my copy (got in New Zealand) different?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I am viewing my 4K rip on a 1080p MONITOR currently, in MPC-HC. Maybe that is relevant?

concorde1

I just received Scarface Gold Edition 4K UHD (also has the standard BD included in box).

The official review on the Blu-ray website suggested the 4K is preferable.

I am startled. The 4K is unbearably DARK in picture. The included standard BD is fine.
Maybe the downscaling to 1080p in MPC-HC causes loss of information equivalent to loss in brightness . . . I don't know.

EDIT: I can confirm on a 4K TV the Scarface 4K UHD looks great. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom