• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scandyna Blue room Minipod Speaker (in-room) measurements... I'm confused...

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are they meant to sound this way? Like the measurements below, they are pretty dull on the high end.
Do the measurements look like they're broken in any way? If they're not (both speakers measure similarly), what could the consideration be for such a sonic design? I've no idea what generation this is (website selling MK4 gen), but they're definitely old. Picked these up used as I've always been curious how they sound given the weird design.
7is0S6J.jpg

Nearfield
5hUhgDB.png

Nearfield distortion (Tweeter / Mid / Port). Doesn't seem to have any signs of being broken.
MHV609p.png

3TyOUH6.png

MWJDUqP.png

Mic ~20cm / 8 inches away
we65Edy.png

Mic ~20cm / 8 inches away, but now I added a 12dB high shelf at 5kHz. Much clearer...
wx360KM.png

Distortion Before and After EQ. And the distortion barely changes after eq??
McB32y3.png

WEWwCOm.png

REW measurements download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q59bro3ml5uzsr/Scandyna Minipod.mdat?dl=0

Just hoping to see if any others have these and have similar measurements...

Last edited:

Ride154

I know it’s an old post but are you still playing around with these?
My minipods measure different.
Tweeters are +6dB at 3 to 14/16k. (i think, could look up the rew measuremen)
At the moment I’m modding them and trying different drivers in them.

Penelinfi

Is it a soft dome tweeter? If they are brownish or flaking, it can be because ferrofluid has deteriorated the coating.
Could potentially check crossover components.
Or try measuring further away?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Didn't B&W design these a good few decades ago now? I seem to think they did and if so, that's a classic modern B&W frequency response to me, albeit without the take-off over 8kHz the modern ones seem to offer.

If these are old and the tweeters have ferro-fluid in them (can't remember), this will take hf levels down a fair bit as said ferrgluid turns to sludge.

Penelinfi

I have some of these pod speakers now, and they don't sound dull (but do have some brown tweeters with cracks beginning).

Your pair looks really baked as those woofers are meant to be yellow and the rubber trim grey?

Top Bottom