• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scam attempt...

stren

Forum Donor
Heatware usually helps me decide who to buy from and when to F&F or not. While there is still risk - a good account can be stolen, it does help give some reassurance of who you are dealing with, where they are (also what they've bought/sold recentliy and on what timeline)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Absolutely not true. I use PayPal F&F all the time in the right circumstances.

It's appropriate for private sales. When I'm selling something why should I offer protection? Why would I need the hassle and cost when I'm not a merchant? If you don't like and don't trust me don't deal with me.
Because if you are not willing to offer protection for a measly 2.x% then you are not trustworthy as an online seller. Simple as that.
Doesn't matter if you think saving that money by choice makes you a big boy. Some would say a big boy can afford to pay it.
Anyway not trying to make you look bad, & PayPal is not my favorite company. The point is nobody should follow your advise on a forum sale unless you actually know the person.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
One other thing I do is ask the seller to send me a picture with their username, handwritten on a piece of paper, alongside the item being sold.

Reactions: Tod

Roland68

Major Contributor
Absolutely not true. I use PayPal F&F all the time in the right circumstances.

It's appropriate for private sales. When I'm selling something why should I offer protection? Why would I need the hassle and cost when I'm not a merchant? If you don't like and don't trust me don't deal with me.
Trust is not a one-sided thing.
Then you could just as easily send the goods first and only let the seller pay after he has received the goods.
Would that be ok with you? It's the same level of trust that you demand of your buyer at PayPal F&F.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't a credit card verified PayPal account pretty secure to trust?

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am thinking of buying speakers from ComoFicho.com.
This is a Spanish portal with advertisements for audio equipment. It says there:

Useful information
Some useful tips and warnings to avoid being scammed.

Avoid scams by acting locally or paying with PayPal
Never pay with Western Union, Moneygram, or other anonymous payment services.
Don't buy or sell outside of your country. Do not accept checks from outside your country
This site is not involved in transactions and does not handle payments or deliveries. It does not guarantee the transaction, does not provide escrow services, and does not offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification".

What do you think about it? I have something to be afraid of? I don't understand why it says - Don't buy or sell outside of your country.
Why don't buy outside of your country?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking of buying speakers from ComoFicho.com.
This is a Spanish portal with advertisements for audio equipment. It says there:

Useful information
Some useful tips and warnings to avoid being scammed.

Avoid scams by acting locally or paying with PayPal
Never pay with Western Union, Moneygram, or other anonymous payment services.
Don't buy or sell outside of your country. Do not accept checks from outside your country
This site is not involved in transactions and does not handle payments or deliveries. It does not guarantee the transaction, does not provide escrow services, and does not offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification".

What do you think about it? I have something to be afraid of? I don't understand why it says - Don't buy or sell outside of your country.
Why don't by outside of your country?
If there is a scam the local coppers can't do anything about it if it is in another country. Not that they always do something.

Adi777

If there is a scam the local coppers can't do anything about it if it is in another country. Not that they always do something.
Okay, that's it. Man, I'm wondering ... There is a great deal out there, but a bit scared, it is 13,000 Euro...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, that's it. Man, I'm wondering ... There is a great deal out there, but a bit scared, it is 13,000 Euro...
I would be scared too. That's the proper reaction/response.

MCH

Major Contributor
Adi777, these deals are actually the safest. That money should justify the trip to pick up in person.

Adi777

The trip to pick up in person? To Spain? What? A truck?
If we agreed that the seller sends the goods, I pick it up, and then send the money to the account, then I go into it.

MCH

Major Contributor
Why not? It is summer, you can go to the beach...

Roland68

Major Contributor
Does PayPal protect such high sums with buyer protection?
If you pay with Paypal, you should make sure that you comply with all the conditions for buyer protection with such a high sum. Best to talk to Paypal first.

Some banks offer an escrow service (not to be confused with an escrow account). There are also e.g. via notaries or service companies such as Paylax.
The money is managed in trust and only paid out when the buyer confirms receipt of the goods in perfect condition.

Top Bottom