• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SBAF, GoldenEars & USB. Fabulous BS.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
The guy who runs SBAF literally works for Schiit; him and Jason are old buddies. But it's Amir who is a corporate shill that cant be trusted ;)
An interesting example of a belief. Or two.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
There are people who believe how amplifiers and DAC's aren't influenced by EMI and how putting them in extreme conditions with bunch of strong EMI sources doesn't matter. Modern PC case is exactly such environment with not isolated (or not enough) large switching power supply, bunch of magnetic dust filters and couple of IR - MV, Wi-Fi, BT ... radio emitters just to mention some. Good modern stand alone DAC's with good isolation and rejection rate design based will take care of such (if you are not a airplane radar operator at work) problems. And even with not so great designed (still rather good performing) DAC (with not great rejection rate) optical brake will just work.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tend to not post about people, things or fora that don't help avance our hobby. The more we post about them the more "hit" they get. the more we actually prolong their existence.
On a slightly different note: I will never stop posting about the discovery of ( actually invitation to) ASR... Thanks @amirm, has been a God sent. I went from spending a lot,or willing to spend a lot, to spending so much less and wisely, resulting in the best system I have had in my 50 + years of (hardcore) audiophile life. My entire system cost perhaps less than a MC Cartridge I had back in the days, a Koetsu Black I believe or was it a Miyabi or all my interconnect and speaker cables and HDMI cables, yes! I believed .... Don't even want to remember.

Peace.

Joaquin Dinero

Forum Donor
AFAIK Marv (for a while) worked for Eddy Current.
Marv, and others, are indeed buddies with Jason but that is because they lived close by and knew each other from meets and stuff.
I am not aware Marv ever worked for Schiit.
Something about building Magni's was part of his profile sig for awhile, although now I see that has been replaced by a dig at Will Smith.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Like many long standing audio companies, 'good enough' really was 'good enough' for most listeners and Jason said as much in one of his many blog posts. The thing is, the reviews here and maybe elsewhere plus a need for advancement caused them to update their measurement kits and I always felt they had the talent as I have deep respect for some of the Theta stuff they designed and adapted in the Theta name. I think it's great that they've been able to keep the brand 'magic' while drastically improving the bench performance and later in the top dac, giving people a choice, at least for now, of different technologies to suit various tastes.

I suppose Topping is too remote and for many, just another far eastern company appearing to chase specs and maybe not realising just how much hard bloody work is needed to get to this level consistently. Schiit is a US based company and why not be proud if it boosts national identity in these troubled times? We had a few good companies in the UK once, but many have gone and others absorbed into larger concerns with far eastern manufacture now. The handful of UK made (Rega excepted) are chasing wealthy newly retired pensioners with bulging pension payouts to spend and who couldn't get on that particular ladder forty years ago ;) On or two tiny outfits still exist however, but they make little to no impact even in our tiny market.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why not be proud if it boosts national identity in these troubled times?
Don't want to start a political debate, but I think it could be argued that a lot of our current troubles are caused by cases of excessive need to boost national identity (however each of us defines it).

DSJR

Major Contributor
Don't want to start a political debate, but I think it could be argued that a lot of our current troubles are caused by cases of excessive need to boost national identity (however each of us defines it).
I hadn't thought of it that particular way, but I do appreciate your point. I just thought maybe some of you could feel proud that Schiit can make good stuff for very reasonable money without resorting to far eastern manufacturing. Here in the UK, we need Rega to further develop their generally reliable UK made electronics into something world beating - very sad the UK prices of Rega products is so much higher than we pay...

Last edited:

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I grew up in the '60s/ '70s. U.S. Manufacturing was a mix of very good and total crap. Total crap was hard to correct since so much manufacturing was at unionized factories. These days I want something that is made well. Made in the U.S. makes me cautious. Not that, when it comes to electronics, 95% of the components don't come from Asia anyway...

Engineered/ designed in the U.S. is a different story though, depending on the type of goods. We usually produce very good white-collar work when not controlled too much by accounting departments. I have a lot of confidence in our design abilities.

DTNT

There are people who believe that USB DACs sound different according to which USB port the DAC is connected to, and if any other devices are on the same bus.

Apparently if you hit the jackpot with a magic audiophile USB port with its own power supply(!) then it prevents your DAC sounding "wet, tubey, and smoothed over" and helps it sound "not glossed over, with the focus and microdetail".

That Super Best Audio Friends clique actually gets madder and madder. It, and its predecessor Changstar, used to host some very frank discussions but people have to really suck up there these days, and you won't see anyone calling out this kind of nonsense because they receive torrents of abuse until they quit or are banned. Or I guess until they agree and set up or buy a magic USB port and tell everyone how different it sounds.

Changstar was the place, I loved it with my whole heart and soul.

Superbestaudiofriends, on the other hand, doesn't even seem like a successor. It seems like a place full of rich snobs. You cannot discuss almost anything but high-end cans there. Which is sad.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Yes, we all agree all DAC sound the same. Please keep the ASR clean. :)

Top Bottom