• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SB20FRPC30-8 based rear speaker project

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
so this would raise the q above 0.707 ? I worked out a 45/50 litre box would be ideal for this driver do you notice any difference in using a smaller box like this ? I have a project for a friend would be handy to be able to put a couple 15s in a smaller than the ideally suggested 300 litre box
No, this is with Q=0.707
The reason why the cabinet became this 'small' is that I assumed that the cabinet would be heavily filled with damping material (cotton wad)
If that is not the case then you would need a 137 liter box

Generally speaking smaller box = (much) more amplifier power needed to reach peak SPL (but with wad filling we can 'trick' the driver to 'think' that it is in a bigger box)

My 15" Fanes are in a 65 liter box with heavy filling so I could reach max SPL with 100W/channel
In a 300 liter heavily filled box only 20W would suffice for the same

jamescarter1982

No, this is with Q=0.707
The reason why the cabinet became this 'small' is that I assumed that the cabinet would be heavily filled with damping material (cotton wad)
If that is not the case then you would need a 137 liter box

Generally speaking smaller box = (much) more amplifier power needed to reach peak SPL (but with wad filling we can 'trick' the driver to 'think' that it is in a bigger box)

My 15" Fanes are in a 65 liter box with heavy filling so I could reach max SPL with 100W/channel
In a 300 liter heavily filled box only 20W would suffice for the same
so if you made the box smaller without heavily filling with wadding would that raise the q of the system or just raise the f3 point. this information could be really helpful I just need to make sure I understand it correctly thanks

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
so if you made the box smaller without heavily filling with wadding would that raise the q of the system or just raise the f3 point. this information could be really helpful I just need to make sure I understand it correctly thanks
Smaller box with less wad filling will raise the Q value, yes
But if you use DSP to correct the FR you really do not need to worry about the Q value...
You just need to worry about having enough amp power to compensate for the small box size and for the heavy DSP correction

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
@TNT
As promised, I am sharing my experience with these speakers when moved to another part of the same room
Actually I moved them to where my 15" loudspeakers normally are - that is a much better location acoustically speaking

20230324_084154.jpg

Here is how they compare when measured in the rear vs in the front:

1679651031577.png

Clearly, in the front position they shall go down well below 30Hz

Actually here is the corrected curve:

1679649971624.png

-3dB point is at 22Hz

Now let's see the distortion graph:

1679650003699.png

To me at least this looks pretty good down to 24Hz (that is where I would apply a HPF)
This was measured at 75dB, 260cm from the microphone

When listening to it (with some low shelf and high shelf filters to taste), this is how they sound:

And you can find here the whole mdat file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13LyxpPVmqNyLQgZGX7KXAmOLbb3fQfvu/view?usp=sharing

I must say that I am simply blown away.....IMHO these speaker is the price/value champion in the full range category; I have never seen/heard anything like this before (in the up to 8" range)

Last edited:

jamescarter1982

definitely going to get myself some of these . what size box have you got these in again pls . been reading last night about reducing box size and igs effect on q going from 0.707 to 1 pretty much halves the box size so if this isn't audible then might as well use a smaller enclosure

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
@TNT
As promised, I am sharing my experience with these speakers when moved to another part of the same room
Actually I moved them to where my 15" loudspeakers normally are - that is a much better location acoustically speaking

View attachment 274238

Here is how they compare when measured in the rear vs in the front:

View attachment 274245

Clearly, in the front position they shall go down well below 30Hz

Actually here is the corrected curve:

View attachment 274240

-3dB point is at 22Hz

Now let's see the distortion graph:

View attachment 274241

To me at least this looks pretty good down to 24Hz (that is where I would apply a HPF)
This was measured at 75dB, 260cm from the microphone

When listening to it (with some low shelf and high shelf filters to taste), this is how they sound:

And you can find here the whole mdat file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13LyxpPVmqNyLQgZGX7KXAmOLbb3fQfvu/view?usp=sharing

I must say that I am simply blown away.....IMHO these speaker is the price/value champion in the full range category; I have never seen/heard anything like this before

How have you set up the rears... mounted directly against the rear wall or corners? If you don't mind, a photo or diagram of your rear setup configuration would be appreciated as well.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor

MontyGibbon

...felts sheets and then used wad for filling...

Really interesting thread. Thank you.

From later posts, I gather the wadding is important to achieve the desired frequency response. Can you provide a little more insight about the extent to which you packed the wadding?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Really interesting thread. Thank you.

From later posts, I gather the wadding is important to achieve the desired frequency response. Can you provide a little more insight about the extent to which you packed the wadding?
The wad helps the driver 'see' the cabinet bigger than it is hence it increases low-end extension
I have filled the cabinets heavily but paying attention that it shall not get in contact with the diaphragm on the inside

Actually more important than wad is the DSP correction - that is the most important factor in linearizing the response of the driver and applying further low-end extension if needed

Last edited:
Top Bottom