• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Say "Hello!" to boXem | audio Arthur series, Hypex and Purifi based power amplifiers

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thanks for the proposal, very kind of you!
I already have an autoranger. I am partially happy with it, especially with the "auto" part that is slow and miss features like an hysteresis allowing to keep the range stable when the input is "in between". So I am using it in manual mode. Still infuriatingly slow, but working :D

The open question is the DAC and ADC. I was preparing myself to buy an ADI-2 Pro as you suggest, especially after reading your excellent post comparing the various measurement systems you had. But the E1DA Cosmos ADC is really tempting, and there are now balanced DACs with laboratory performance for a very reasonable price. Add a few external attenuators, Virtins MI and you have a nice system without breaking the bank.

If I win the lottery, I'll send you an APX-555B, a Powercube and one for me too. :)

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
If I win the lottery, I'll send you an APX-555B, a Powercube and one for me too. :)
A Powercube would be so cool. :cool:
If each of the ASR members buy me an amplifier I will send you a dozen of them that you can try to break with your brand new Powercube :p

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
and miss features like an hysteresis allowing to keep the range stable when the input is "in between".

Hysteresis is a concept that many designers/engineers simply don't grasp. These days, they'd throw it into the "machine learning" area, when it can be easily controlled in the analogue domain. It was understood in the bi-metallic thermostat/analogue era, why cant the digital era deal with it?

kepernagel

Let me put things in another perspective
On the help side
- I will soon be able to measure myself my amplifiers with an accuracy close to the AP555
- Several metrics that I consider as critical are not measured here
On the marketing side
- I am fighting to be able to build the amplifiers for actual customers who actually buy them. As written above, I don't even have one for my own reference.
- There have been at 4 Purifi amplifiers measured here. Two were very good, the Purifi demonstrator and one from Nord. Two from VTV that showed several issues. The result is that nobody recommends Nord and a lot of people recommend VTV. 'cos cheaper ya know. ;)
So why would I loose a sale, spend time and money on the shipping, spend time replying to the gang of armchair engineers and at the end the only result is that this helps sales from one of my competitors.
Some day a boXem product will be measured here. Two conditions:
- Amir agrees to do it
- It is unique on the market
While I can't answer to the first condition, the second one will soon be met.
Thank you for the elaborated and honest answer, appreciated! Pity to hear the difficulties.

For me any (honest) measurement would be revealing, doesn't need to be Amir. Great to hear you have plans.

People will buy your products because - over time - you will have built a reputation for decent, well-measuring, well-engineered products with a few extra (but really nifty) features at a competing price point.

In the meanwhile, I appreciate your responsiveness on the forum and I'm enthusiastic about the potential of Boxem Audio. Pretty tempted to order an Arthur 2408 (just wished it were avaible in black - can't have it all I guess) :)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have an autoranger. I am partially happy with it, especially with the "auto" part that is slow and miss features like an hysteresis allowing to keep the range stable when the input is "in between".
I didn't react at first but that sounds strange.
Mine is fast and has an hysteresis.

Did you talk to @jan.didden ?

musicforcities

Something I also personally consider as extremely valuable is the "local" part: PCBs come from EU, circuit board assembly is done 20 km away from our facilities, case 60 km away. When we purchase components, we help the local economy. This has a cost.
It also has a savings in terms of carbon footprint and (likely) the source of the electricity used in to make them. Though I suppose most of the chips, etc themselves are made far afield. Still…it’s something to consider.

CMB

It also has a savings in terms of carbon footprint and (likely) the source of the electricity used in to make them. Though I suppose most of the chips, etc themselves are made far afield. Still…it’s something to consider.
@ BoXem : you need to add a green color now and a bambou box

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like your products and the genius auto on/off function you provide. Is that for all the amplifiers or only some?

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Kudos if you got that working correctly. I have had older NAD amps with such a feature and it has often not worked correctly, shutting off too easily at low levels or not turning on.
Well, none of my customers has been complaining up to now. So I guess it's working as expected.

bbforce

Short question - what is the total depth of the Purifi based Arthur 4215/E2 with attached XLR- and speaker- (banana plugs) cables?

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Short question - what is the total depth of the Purifi based Arthur 4215/E2 with attached XLR- and speaker- (banana plugs) cables?
Short answer :) - 31.8 cm of amplifier + about 4 cm of banana + about 5 cm of cable radius = about 41 cm.

mSpot

Short answer :) - 31.8 cm of amplifier + about 4 cm of banana + about 5 cm of cable radius = about 41 cm.
If necessary, you can reduce the depth with right-angle banana and XLR plugs.
https://www.google.com/search?q=right+angle+banana+plug
https://www.google.com/search?q=right+angle+xlr+connector

Top Bottom