• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Say "Hello!" to boXem | audio Arthur series, Hypex and Purifi based power amplifiers

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I understand the cost issue, that's why I mentioned you might offer it a s an option.

I was hoping for more than 3 attenuation positions, and have the control on the front of the unit so you can easily adapt the volume when needed (and grab it when things go wrong). A 3 position switch on the back is nice to align the amplifier gain with the DAC, but you can't call that a volume control.

Most professional amp's have a volume control, for good reason. The audiophile world dismissed it because they're afraid it has a disastrous effect on sound quality, but with the rise of streamers and DAC's without pre-amp, and apps to control volume I think there's a demand for it now.
What I meant with the cost is that it would be close from the integrated we are planning.
But you gave me an idea now, we may have something interesting for both you and audiophiles later this year :).

ironhorse128

Forum Donor

beren777

Would love some pictures of the back unless they're already on your product page and I'm missing them. Also on Chrome, the image scroll buttons only work on the left, not the right.

Last edited:
OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Would love some pictures of the back unless they're already on your produce page and I'm missing them. Also on Chrome, the image scroll buttons only work on the left, not the right.
Pictures of the back are yet to come. Plan is to build a production representative amplifier this week and take pictures of it. If ice, snow and strikes allow it...
About the strange scroll behavior, I also noticed it some time ago and then completely forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder :)

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Would love some pictures of the back unless they're already on your product page and I'm missing them. Also on Chrome, the image scroll buttons only work on the left, not the right.
Here you go.
boXAMP-SP1-rear-800x800.png

Original picture was quickly taken before leaving yesterday and it's far from perfect...

Ricardo

Any naked pictures from the ARTHUR 4215/E2? I am considering the black faceplate, will be a good match for my B&W 804d3.

Are you delivering in Switzerland? Customs here a bit complicated.

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
No pictures yet. One connector is missing (after "covid" last year, this year's buzzword to justify a lost package is "brexit" :rolleyes:). If it's still missing beginning of next week I will unsolder one from a prototype one to shoot some nudies.
I have experienced Swiss customs myself. They have a particular sense of humor :). We are working with UPS and DHL (soon). They have very clear procedures to follow for the export and provide templates for the documents. Their summary of customs handling was "if you don't lie on the value, everything goes smooth". Up to now I have to say that this part of the shipping has not been an issue.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their summary of customs handling was "if you don't lie on the value, everything goes smooth".
Interesting. Here in Brazil the customs unofficial rule is more like "We know you are lying about the value, so we arbitrarily declare a higher value and tax on it. If you don't agree, good luck complaining". :)

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Interesting. Here in Brazil the customs unofficial rule is more like "We know you are lying about the value, so we arbitrarily declare a higher value and tax on it. If you don't agree, good luck complaining". :)
Interesting to know, I will remember it when needed.
To be fair, the answer from UPS/DHL was to a question about delays and the main subject was the export to the US. That some countries have unofficial rules is no surprise, but I don't think it's the case for Switzerland.

Ricardo

Sei bem...
I know the feeling, Brazilian as well but living in Switzerland. I cannot complain about the Swiss customs tbh.

buz

Forum Donor
I have experienced Swiss customs myself. They have a particular sense of humor :). We are working with UPS and DHL (soon). They have very clear procedures to follow for the export and provide templates for the documents. Their summary of customs handling was "if you don't lie on the value, everything goes smooth". Up to now I have to say that this part of the shipping has not been an issue.

Never had any issues with Swiss customs, not even with dubious Chinese electronics where they perhaps could have had a legitimate gripe (at least one of the PCs imported went on to shock me with 220V). As long as the paperwork is OK, it is smooth (if not, they send a letter asking for more documents and charge a not unreasonable sum for the work) Occasionally stuff gets delayed a few days for whatever reason.

FWIW, I would suggest DHL but UPS works, too.

(the customs guys at Zurich Airport have a somewhat strange sense of humor, I'll give you that)

JSmith

Master Contributor
the integrated we are planning.
Hi there boXem, any news on this integrated? Quite interested to see what it is like and how it measures etc.

Are you planning on old style integrated or a digital integrated with onboard DAC... any thoughts to VU meters? ;)

Have you sent an Arthur in yet for @amirm to test? I think once you do, assuming it tests well, there will be more interest.

I know @VintageFlanker did a review and provided some results, however I think people will take more to results from Amir;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-2408-n2-review-stereo-power-amplifier.18710/

I really like the build quality and think the auto on/off is a great idea as many DAC's being used as a pre don't have any 12V trigger option.

JSmith

OP
boXem

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hi there boXem, any news on this integrated? Quite interested to see what it is like and how it measures etc.

Are you planning on old style integrated or a digital integrated with onboard DAC... any thoughts to VU meters? ;)

Have you sent an Arthur in yet for @amirm to test? I think once you do, assuming it tests well, there will be more interest.

I know @VintageFlanker did a review and provided some results, however I think people will take more to results from Amir;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-2408-n2-review-stereo-power-amplifier.18710/

I really like the build quality and think the auto on/off is a great idea as many DAC's being used as a pre don't have any 12V trigger option.

JSmith
Hi JS,
On the integrated front:
- given the actual context on electronic components availability, I stopped committing on any planning.
- it's not an old style integrated nor a digital integrated :)
- analog VU meters are cool. Good ones cost literally a fortune. Digital ones are less cool but to be considered.

On letting Amir an amplifier to be measured, for the moment the priority is to build customer amplifiers. Once the storm calms down, I will see with Amir if he is interested in testing something from our range.

Thanks for the nice words!

PS: 49 61 6D 46 72 65 64

Semla

Received my 3409/N2 this afternoon. It's a thing of beauty and surprisingly light. It's obvious how much care has been taken in the design and construction. It arrived much earlier than expected so I still need to source a streamer, speakers and cables to actually use it...

Top Bottom