• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Say hello at 120m(393ft) hight (Seoul in Republic of korea)

STUDIO51

Hello I’m STUDIO51. Greetings from Korea.
My listening room is 120 meters high. Not altitude above sea level but apartment hight. Here is 39th floor

In Korea, especially in Seoul, it is common to live in apartments because of the high population density. It is not a suitable residential environment for using speakers. Nevertheless, it is a new apartment and there is little noise between floors thanks to Samsung's technology.

The image below is a connection diagram of my listening room.

PNG 이미지.png

EF6CF09C-2374-4BCB-9A95-66C222697565.jpeg

A33FDC70-EE80-4BB9-A971-52ADB09BF9A4.jpeg

Although not in the photos, ADAM SUB12 is connected to the JBL LSR 306mk2 in the living room.

All the pictures were taken by my acquaintance with the Leica S2 camera. It's a slightly old camera, but performance always surprises me.

It's not a big room, but it looks smaller than it actually is due to the lens. Thick bass traps and blackout curtains set behind the speakers. Carpets on the floor.

Because my room is small, there is a flutter echo between the wall and the speakers. That's why I wrapped my JBL M2 exterior in fabric.
JBL M2 is a speaker that does not have a crossover board inside. So M2 needs an external DSP with crossover adjustable EQ and delay, and also need four-channel amplifier.

2345EA41-AF35-469F-820F-51D636AFF9E6.jpeg

The JBL professional logo on the front is signature by Dr. Sean olive.

LYNX HILO is a non-replaceable DAC. A wide range of routines can be set, and the RTA and VU meters delight the eyes.

The device displaying DAFT PUNK album art next to HILO is COWON's PLENUE L DAP. PLENUE L is a DAP with very high performance. But I connect with HILO mainly through optical output.

For near field listening, all elements were aimed at the lowest possible noise level. The biggest weakness of my system is dbx pa2 (second floor bottom). Simple to use, but high noise level.

I will replace dbx pa2 with two minidsp openDRC-DI. All EQ and crossovers will be processed in FIR.
And l also add two Benchmark DAC3s, and LYNX HILO will work as a DDC rather than a DAC.
Finally, it will be completed as shown below.
PNG 이미지.png

549751E2-92F8-454A-B8FA-E7FCF8086821.jpeg

43D3E890-3A99-4CB0-8E6E-CE06AA2F18BE.jpeg

All cables except the digital cable are DIY. I don't believe the sound gets better with change cable, but it looks nice. I especially like power cables and speaker cables made with thick cables.

I like the connectors that are tightly tied. All interconnect cables are connected by XLR. The speaker cable is connected to the amplifier by a Spekon connector

1977C25C-B30C-4FC4-9E9B-2B2371DEBC7F.jpeg

I use the AKG K1000 headphones. Very light and sound great. I used it with a subwoofer at one time, but it was annoying.

Thank you for watching. The last pictures are from my window in my home.

C011C9D0-FD19-47DB-AA4D-E93E79C15D2C.jpeg
EFEBDD90-5B2F-4517-AAC2-A3ECF8B613B6.jpeg
D1AF678E-6D5B-46AD-BD72-8CFCFA324181.jpeg

DKT88

My listening room is 120 meters high. Not altitude above sea level but apartment hight. Here is 39th floor

In Korea, especially in Seoul, it is common to live in apartments because of the high population density. It is not a suitable residential environment for using speakers. Nevertheless, it is a new apartment and there is little noise between floors thanks to Samsung's technology.

View attachment 31456

View attachment 31459

View attachment 31462

Although not in the photos, ADAM SUB12 is connected to the JBL LSR 306mk2 in the living room.

All the pictures were taken by my acquaintance with the Leica S2 camera. It's a slightly old camera, but performance always surprises me.

It's not a big room, but it looks smaller than it actually is due to the lens. Thick bass traps and blackout curtains set behind the speakers. Carpets on the floor.

Because my room is small, there is a flutter echo between the wall and the speakers. That's why I wrapped my JBL M2 exterior in fabric.
JBL M2 is a speaker that does not have a crossover board inside. So M2 needs an external DSP with crossover adjustable EQ and delay, and also need four-channel amplifier.

View attachment 31464

LYNX HILO is a non-replaceable DAC. A wide range of routines can be set, and the RTA and VU meters delight the eyes.

The device displaying DAFT PUNK album art next to HILO is COWON's PLENUE L DAP. PLENUE L is a DAP with very high performance. But I connect with HILO mainly through optical output.

For near field listening, all elements were aimed at the lowest possible noise level. The biggest weakness of my system is dbx pa2 (second floor bottom). Simple to use, but high noise level.

I will replace dbx pa2 with two minidsp openDRC-DI. All EQ and crossovers will be processed in FIR.
And l also add two Benchmark DAC3s, and LYNX HILO will work as a DDC rather than a DAC.
View attachment 31465

View attachment 31466

View attachment 31467
All cables except the digital cable are DIY. I don't believe the sound gets better with change cable, but it looks nice. I especially like power cables and speaker cables made with thick cables.

I like the connectors that are tightly tied. All interconnect cables are connected by XLR. The speaker cable is connected to the amplifier by a Spekon connector

View attachment 31469

I use the AKG K1000 headphones. Very light and sound great. I used it with a subwoofer at one time, but it was annoying.

View attachment 31468View attachment 31470View attachment 31471
I'll be on the flight from Las Vegas to Seoul tomorrow night. Then traveling to Busan where I've lived for 6 years.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow, quite a setup! Congrats.

I have been to Seoul many times. Alas, it was always fly in, wake up early in the morning for the long car trip to Samsung offices, back the same way, and fly home the next day.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice photos of your system and out the window of the view.

I really like the fabric covering on the M2's. I think if I were to have M2's I'd do that as well.

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

Wow, quite a setup! Congrats.

I have been to Seoul many times. Alas, it was always fly in, wake up early in the morning for the long car trip to Samsung offices, back the same way, and fly home the next day.

Perhaps you have taken a journey similar with Dr. Sean olive. Although Seoul is small city, it may seem like a long journey because of heavy traffic.
If you look at the map, you will be surprised how small it is.

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

Nice photos of your system and out the window of the view.

I really like the fabric covering on the M2's. I think if I were to have M2's I'd do that as well.

Yeah, I think that's a pretty good idea for myself. But It must need very good dexterity. But i'm not:facepalm:

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I heard that the difference between North and South Korea is that one has soul. Um, er, and Seoul.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

View attachment 31456

View attachment 31459

View attachment 31462

View attachment 31464

View attachment 31465

View attachment 31466

View attachment 31467

View attachment 31469

View attachment 31468View attachment 31470View attachment 31471

Very nicely done! Thank you for sharing that with us.

Are the walls particularly thick, or is there some other means used to reduce sound between apartments? You mention Samsung. Is there some kind of active noise cancellation going on?

Congratulations on a very nice setup overall. I hope you can enjoy it at the volume you most enjoy!

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

Very nicely done! Thank you for sharing that with us.

Are the walls particularly thick, or is there some other means used to reduce sound between apartments? You mention Samsung. Is there some kind of active noise cancellation going on?

Congratulations on a very nice setup overall. I hope you can enjoy it at the volume you most enjoy!

Samsung is the most technologically advanced construction company in Korea.
To reduce noise, thicken the layers and use enough sound insulation.
Most manufacturers, however, use less sound insulation to reduce costs.
But samsung is not.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't know Samsung made buildings, but I'm not surprised.

What's the purpose of the Lynx in your destination system?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Nice setup. JBL gets a lot of love around here. My listening studio at home is only 25M altitude, but I am in Colorado at about 3,000 M. How about that?

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

I didn't know Samsung made buildings, but I'm not surprised.

What's the purpose of the Lynx in your destination system?

HILO is a digital signal divider and works with a variety of RTA and level meters.
My system appears to be 2 channels but actually requires 4 channels.
So HILO needs to send a two channel input signal as a four channel digital signal.
USB, analog and digital signals can all be converted to 4-channel digital signals.

It also acts as a master volume.

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

Nice setup. JBL gets a lot of love around here. My listening studio at home is only 25M altitude, but I am in Colorado at about 3,000 M. How about that?

The red blood cells in your blood will carry more oxygen than my red blood cells.
More oxygen can activate the brain and make your ears more sensitive.
So I moved to a higher floor ... NVMD o_O

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Perhaps you have taken a journey similar with Dr. Sean olive. Although Seoul is small city, it may seem like a long journey because of heavy traffic.
If you look at the map, you will be surprised how small it is.
Samsung offices were in Suwon so it was a drive to get there.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amazing, @STUDIO51. I'm over there from time to time (maybe 60 times in my life, now), mostly around Dongtan. I find people do not have serious speakers in their places. The few who seem to care about sound put money into the systems in their cars, and maybe headphones. At first I found this strange, but I quickly realized that it was the only way they could really listen to anything. For now, I'm gad I have the space to listen to my speakers as I want in the US.

OP
STUDIO51

STUDIO51

Amazing, @STUDIO51. I'm over there from time to time (maybe 60 times in my life, now), mostly around Dongtan. I find people do not have serious speakers in their places. The few who seem to care about sound put money into the systems in their cars, and maybe headphones. At first I found this strange, but I quickly realized that it was the only way they could really listen to anything. For now, I'm gad I have the space to listen to my speakers as I want in the US.

Yes. In the same sense, the Head- Fi and car audio market has developed very largely in Japan and Korea. Here, speakers are a hobby of the wealthy. My dream is to live in a detached house. I envy many Americans including you.

SDC

Never liked Samsung Raemian. But I never lived in the new ones so maybe it changed over the years:rolleyes:

Tks

Major Contributor
Yes. In the same sense, the Head- Fi and car audio market has developed very largely in Japan and Korea. Here, speakers are a hobby of the wealthy. My dream is to live in a detached house. I envy many Americans including you.

I'll be the first to tell you, many dream of living in the tallest buildings and highest floor possible. Here in New York City, that is better than any mansion or home from a cultural standpoint of the generation in their early to late twenties.

Also, you have an amazing setup, I really like the customization, and was amazed to hear you don't take audio cables that cost $10,000 seriously. Almost everyone I see with the budget you've invested in your setup goes crazy on buying cables because they think it will "give them that last 5%"

But I should have seen you didn't believe in audiophile nonsense like that, the moment I saw the Benchmark kit especially :)

Also great color wrap on the speakers I have to say.

Also the insulation you're talking about in your building for the sake of noise that Samsung does better than other companies isn't common here in NYC. Especially newer buildings, everything is built like garbage, even though they're luxury buildings for the most part.

I used to work with Koreans at a dental tech lab (the place was Korean owned, and had more than 70% Korean workers). Some of the nicest people, and made a few friends there. They would take me out after a long day of work on Fridays to drink sake SOJU! and a whole bunch of other stuff in K-town (Korea town it's called, a portion of Manhattan). I loved the food, the amazingly rich culture, the friendly and light-volume speaking tone everyone has (not like the crazy people yelling every day you sometimes here in NYC). I wish one day to visit South Korea, but I'm too afraid to go alone without knowing how to construct a single sentence.

If I could I'd live there just based on the beautiful photos of the view you have. NYC literally looks like a backwater swamp compared to Seoul. And technologically, we're cavemen by comparison. Oh and I also had a secret crush on a married co-worker there at the lab that would smile every time she'd walk by. I only talked very little with her at a wedding I was invited for with another co-woker since she didn't speak English much at all.

NEVERMIND that though. South Korea looks amazing, and I'd leave NYC instantly if I knew the language for sure..

Last edited:
Top Bottom