• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sanity Check - Drivers in parallel

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
The last six months I've been building some LX521's, and have been test listening to them before finishing everything.

For those that don't know, they require 10 channels of amplification - tweeter, upper mid, lower mid and two woofers for each side.

For a while I was using an old Yamaha AVR that would accept line in connections to drive the woofers.

Rather than using a crossover, there is an Analog Signal Processor that has unbalanced RCA outputs. Connecting that to the AVR via RCA was simple, and I was using a channel for each woofer driver (so 4 channels altogether).

I now have a two channel Hypex NC400 based amp, and wish to use that for the woofers. It has balanced inputs with XLR connections. It is happy driving 2 ohms, so I can have each pair of woofer drivers connected in parallel.

So my question is - do I get the same volume using a.) the RCA connections to the AVR (ignoring the volume setting), with each driver getting it's own amp channel, and b.) the XLR connections (wired according to the Hypex guide), with each amp driving two drivers?

I think so, but would like confirmation.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Yes.

Speaker power amps are voltage output, so two channels in parallel driving 4 ohms each or just one channel with 2x 4 ohms in parallel are going to have the same output indeed.

You will need the right kind of RCA -> XLR adapter cables to avoid ground loop issues (if in doubt, those sold by Monoprice should do).

OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Yes.

Speaker power amps are voltage output, so two channels in parallel driving 4 ohms each or just one channel with 2x 4 ohms in parallel are going to have the same output indeed.

You will need the right kind of RCA -> XLR adapter cables to avoid ground loop issues (if in doubt, those sold by Monoprice should do).

Thank you for the confirmation. I carefully checked the cables before plugging them in and all looked and measured as I expected.

Top Bottom