• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samsung TV with Genelec speakers

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
I have a 2021 65” Samsung TV and I wanted to connect a pair of Genelec speakers for audio. I am thinking either 8020D or 8030C. The Samsung doesn’t seem to have analog outs to do this. Is there another way?

Thanks.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 2021 65” Samsung TV and I wanted to connect a pair of Genelec speakers for audio. I am thinking either 8020D or 8030C. The Samsung doesn’t seem to have analog outs to do this. Is there another way?

Thanks.
Does it have a optical out? If yes then a cheap DAC with a volume control is what you’ll need.
Those Genelec models also require a balanced connection. You could look at the G1 G2 or G3 as they also have a unbalanced input.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just use the TV’s headphone output if you’re planing to do stereo.

I don’t know if Genelecs accept unbalanced output though.

OP
T

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Does it have a optical out? If yes then a cheap DAC with a volume control is what you’ll need.
Those Genelec models also require a balanced connection. You could look at the G1 G2 or G3 as they also have a unbalanced input.
Yes it does have an optical out.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Tonygeno
You'll need an external DAC between your TV and the Genelecs.

The cheapest DAC with Toslink in and Bal out (that I'm aware of) is the SMSL D-6 that Amir reviewed just a few days ago. It costs $170.

It is technically possible to connect regular single-ended RCA DACs to the XLR inputs of those Genelecs, but you may pick up noise that way, so it's best to stick to the intended signal source (TRS Bal out is fine for XLR in btw).

As @NiagaraPete suggested, you could consider Genelec's G Series instead, as those come with RCA inputs and RCA DACs are a bit cheaper (e.g. JDS Atom DAC+ for $110).

Either way, you should find out if you can still control your TV's volume with the standard remote when you're using the Toslink out.
Some TVs will lock volume to 100% in that config.
If that's the case, then you need to make sure that the DAC has built in volume control with a remote.

OP
T

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
@Tonygeno
You'll need an external DAC between your TV and the Genelecs.

The cheapest DAC with Toslink in and Bal out (that I'm aware of) is the SMSL D-6 that Amir reviewed just a few days ago. It costs $170.

It is technically possible to connect regular single-ended RCA DACs to the XLR inputs of those Genelecs, but you may pick up noise that way, so it's best to stick to the intended signal source (TRS Bal out is fine for XLR in btw).

As @NiagaraPete suggested, you could consider Genelec's G Series instead, as those come with RCA inputs and RCA DACs are a bit cheaper (e.g. JDS Atom DAC+ for $110).

Either way, you should find out if you can still control your TV's volume with the standard remote when you're using the Toslink out.
If that's the case, then you need to make sure that the DAC has built in volume control with a remote.
Thanks!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good info. My TV’s all have fixed output via toslink. I was unaware variable was an option.

D

Deleted member 49736

Get the Minidsp SHD. Run optical from the tv to the minidsp. Then AES/EBU (daisy chain) to Genelecs. This will avoid an unnecessary analog/digital conversion.

You could save some money by going with the Flex digital instead of the SHD, but you’ll need to find a digital coax (rca) to AES/EBU (XLR) cable.

With the SHD, you get streaming and Dirac built in. The flex has Dirac optional but runs it at 48k instead of 96k. As good as Genelec’s built in correction is, Dirac is better.

Had the same challenge. Headphone out is not convenient. I used the NAD D7050 but that was w/o XLR. But ideally you want to change the volume with your TV remote. That works best when the device has an eARC HDMI connection. Buy a (used) AV device with eARC HDMI + XLR output and neglect the power output. BTW, the difference with XLR is hardly audible in the living room. That widens the options and you can use an XLR to RCA cable. You can find that in any music instruments store.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Just use the TV’s headphone output if you’re planing to do stereo.
Unfortunately with many new TV's there is no analogue out at all, which can be very frustrating for some people that expect when they setup their new TV to be able to use such an output for wireless headphones etc.

JSmith

that would be awkward., anyway. From digital cable box to DAC in TV, to ADC in headphone station to DAC in headphone..

D

Deleted member 49736

@AlwaysSunny there's no DAC inside the 8020D/8030C. The XLR input is strictly analog. AES/EBU will not work.
That makes things even easier. The SHD or Flex (analog balanced) are an even better fit for this application because without it, you won’t have any room correction, EQ, gains, delay.

Run toslink to the minidsp and analog XLR to the Genelec. Use the minidsp remote for volume control.

Matt S

Picking up on this.. anyone think there would be a noticeable difference between Spotify direct to my SHD (which I normally do) or Spotify from my Samsung QN95a using optical out into the SHD.

No need to do so. I just quite like the interface and artwork on the TV. I normally listen TV but.. heck, just curious really..

Top Bottom