• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samsung Tube Amplifier

fas42

Major Contributor
The tubes are in the preamp area, I presume - and we are certain that it is impossible to feed signal into this box without it always passing through that bit of circuitry - right ... ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they are used in the video section and only for 3D? One review described them as a patent pending innovation.

The owner's manual shows them, and mentions they are vacuum tube and says nothing else about them.

Pretty funny. What in the world were they thinking? BTW, as these were out 4 years ago, you see complaints of the vacuum tube heat cracking the faceplate and causing problems with nearby controls.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's a hoot!
Kind of like the stuff inside the grounding box. :eek:

egellings

Major Contributor
Just think though; you never have to replace them so long as they light up. They'll always "work".

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out what happens when the tubes are removed:

Maybe the tubes are still useful for their placebo effect.

(I prefer to use real tube amps for the placebo effect. :))

egellings

Major Contributor
I agree--I listen through tubes & semiconductors in my system. Tubes are fun to look at, too.

cjfrbw

Do these amps have a tube/no-tube option? I suppose it may default to the no-buffer option if the tubes aren't there. Are the tubes in-line, or are they part of the power supply regulation? It's supposed to have 6 channels, so only two would have the tubes if they are line buffers (or four, if they use a triode half for each channel).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If you guys really want to know I can have decent look at the circuitry, I picked one up for a few dollars and it's right here. Initial investigation a few months back, showed 4 line signals "possibly" going into the 12AX7s (2 per tube).

Top Bottom