• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Samson Resolv SE6 - worthwhile?

andraleia

I've been looking to buy my first pair of monitor speakers

I do a bit of mixing, for myself and friends, generally in headphones (I know...), and using whatever speakers are on hand to A/B. Recently those were a pair of Infinity RS3s that a roommate was lending me, and now is taking back

In looking to replace them, I've been asking around forums for advice. I get referred frequently to the Kali LP-6, which retail around $300 / pair, and I've seen used for as low as $260 or so

That's still a little high for me, but I was considering it – but *then* I found this deal locally that seems pretty amazing

It's a pair of Samson Resolv SE6 speakers, with Auralex MoPAD Isolation Pads, two IEC power cables, and a 3.5mm to 1/4" cable for $175 total

From my calculations, that all would retail close to $500 new. There are some scratches on the outside of the Resolv, but the speakers look fine. I'm planning to test & pick it up tomorrow

My question is: are these speakers alright for entry level mixing? They've gotta be a step-up from the Inifinity RS3s at least, right? Are they comparable at all to the Kalis? Are they worth the price?

Would love some input :) For reference, I will be almost exclusively using it to mix guitar / bass / drum driven music; no EDM or anything of that ilk for me really

OP
A

andraleia

((I hope this sort of thread is welcome; I looked for rules disallowing it and didn't find any, so I went ahead with it))

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
They've gotta be a step-up from the Inifinity RS3s at least, right?
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Those were not cheap in the early '90s, they sport a waveguide (almost but not entirely unheard of at the time) and they have a decently complex crossover. The Samsons have barely any waveguide at all and as such presumably have wide but not entirely even dispersion.

$175 for a pair of entry-level 6" monitors that are a few years old still seems like a decent deal and should get you started either way, though you would do yourself a massive favor by picking up a Behringer HD400 and two balanced TRS --> TRS or TRS --> XLR cables in addition, or else you will get very familiar with ground loop issues. That goes for most other active monitors as well.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
A

andraleia

I did see the first. I mentioned the LP-6 being what I was considering prior, and that I am now considering these SE6 speakers because of the deal, in my post

The second isn't relevant to me. The 308p is $500 for a pair. That is very, very far out of my price range

OP
A

andraleia

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Those were not cheap in the early '90s, they sport a waveguide (almost but not entirely unheard of at the time) and they have a decently complex crossover. The Samsons have barely any waveguide at all and as such presumably have wide but not entirely even dispersion.

$175 for a pair of entry-level 6" monitors that are a few years old still seems like a decent deal and should get you started either way, though you would do yourself a massive favor by picking up a Behringer HD400 and two balanced TRS --> TRS or TRS --> XLR cables in addition, or else you will get very familiar with ground loop issues. That goes for most other active monitors as well.

Thanks for the advice. I'm fairly accustomed to dealing with ground issues, balanced lines, etc. - but I'll definitely bear in mind the HD400 recommendation :)

OP
A

andraleia

I don't know anything about the Samsons but a few days ago I posted that Sweetwater has the JBL 305P Mk II's on sale till the end of the month for $119 each with free shipping. That sounds like it might fit right into your budget quiet nicely. I don't believe you can go wrong at this price. ;)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...t&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210202-t1t2

Hmm, okay. I see they're 5-inch drivers; the two I'm really considering right now, the SE6 and the LP-6, are both 6.5-inch drivers for the woofers. I've been told that it's not wise to consider anything smaller if I'm mixing something bass-driven – and as I'm primarily a solo bassist, I would like something that gives me at least some picture of the low-end

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did see the first. I mentioned the LP-6 being what I was considering prior, and that I am now considering these SE6 speakers because of the deal, in my post

The second isn't relevant to me. The 308p is $500 for a pair. That is very, very far out of my price range

What about on sale? They go on sale several times a year for $300/pair. For that price, I haven’t seen anything that comes close. 306 and 305 also go on sale just as often. They’ll be even cheaper than that, though not as much of a steal.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've been told that it's not wise to consider anything smaller if I'm mixing something bass-driven – and as I'm primarily a solo bassist,
That's proablly very good advice that applies to anything we've discussed. I'd save as much as I could on the speaker, getting something like the 305s and then get a good, reasonably priced subwoofer. None of these little desk jockies under 8" are going to supply much bass for your mixing without a sub. Bet you could find a great used sub for loose change.

Top Bottom