• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sal's system

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Awesome! So essentially you got a 9.1 set up, did I count correctly?
Yep that sounds right, in HT speak its a 5.2.4 rig. 5 base channels, 2 sub channels and 4 Atmos channels.
Is yours smart TV or set up like mine?
? It is a "smart" TV but mine is setup more HT like. I have a regular monitor hooked up to the computer tower I built for when I'm just surfing the web and doing general computer work. But a second HDMI cable runs off the video/audio card to my Marantz 7703 pre/pro an then to the TV. Makes it nice for streaming TV, youtube, etc. Also when I'm playing music I can stay in my listening chair and see my media player on the big screen up front to make changes, etc. Then there's a button on the TV remote thats kill just the big screens video if I want the room dark, which I do at night when I'm doing my serious listening. A complicated system that takes 6 remotes and a degree in HT to run, but there's only me here. :cool:
My dad had one of these when I was a kid. Wonder what happend to it... Very fond memories.
Also, very nice system
One of my ex-wifes brought it home for me, I have no idea where she picked it up. Plus after all these years I can't remember which wife it was. LOL
Thanks for the compliment.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wondering and a serious question are all those atmos channels worth it? Or is it just about male "mine is bigger than yours" bravado?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just wondering and a serious question are all those atmos channels worth it? Or is it just about male "mine is bigger than yours" bravado?
Yes, I believe they are, specially for movie sources. When you have overhead content such as flyovers can be dramatic but even with just outside seens, the distribution of sound across the "heavens" is the way it sounds in the real thing. Standing in your yard you don't just hear noises, space, air; from one point in the sky, but front to back and left to right. Two channel Atmos works to some extent but to get a more even coverage of sound I believe two towards the middle/front and two near the rear gives a much improved overhead effect. And if you have a quite large room going as far as six can help to eliminate holes in the soundspace.
You question could just a easily be asked about the base channels. I have a quite small listening room and believe going from a 5 channel to 7 would be minimally worth it. But if I had enough depth to allow two rows of seating then yes 7. base channels becomes valuable.

For music, going above 5 base and 4 Atmos brings little to the plate unless your room is very large. But there's nothing like a good multich system for music that has been well mastered, it's a thing of beauty!

Then there's the subject of, if you have the space and the money, why not?
Even if the inprovements are minimal, why not?

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a triamp set up as well a home theatre(3 channel). I have to turn on 3 DAC's plus my Marantz, 5 amplifiers, one fan and a computer its a mission every morning every night. I should post pictures of mine, the only advantage of mine is that I have chosen equipment(some) that measure well minus your surround setup(I can only imagine how the JBL sound in a 5.2.4), I know your thoughts on the audibility of SINAD and distortion after a certain threshold but my equipment is still very modest and cheap and had the luxury of chosing them from ASR. I'm not doing the one up on you, just comparing systems. I am aiming for front surrounds(after heaps of research) though its just taking time.

So when you say you have a second HDMI connected to your videocard you mean from the same computer? But overall you have a comfortable set up for surfing the net and an appropriate one for watching movies. My Marantz is connected to 2 very big speakers for youtube watching and can listen to music from youtube with that set up, at the moment tyring to figure out how I can add convolution outside Jriver to perfect that set up as well. Otherwise from Jriver I listen to my triamp system. And finally, I have a small speaker for centre on the off chance the TV show is recorded well and the centre channel adds benefit.

My second question is and we have talked about this, how do you like upmixing on stereo content. Say a standard rock song upmixed with aurora(I am aware aurora is pretty good)? or do you stick with stereo when listrening to stereo recordings? And what about pro logic...? For music listening that is not movies...

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So when you say you have a second HDMI connected to your videocard you mean from the same computer?
Yes. 95% of my music listening is sourced from my computer, whether it's the 2,000+ albums on the harddrives, streaming from Amazon HD music, youtube, what have you. One HDMI cable off the video card drives an Acer 32" desktop monitor, the other HDMI drives the Marantz 7703 > 75" Sony. I also have a couple standalone BluRay/SACD players put into use on occasion not counting the 2 BD/DVD/etc drives mounted internally in my computer tower.
My second question is and we have talked about this, how do you like upmixing on stereo content. Say a standard rock song upmixed with aurora(I am aware aurora is pretty good)? or do you stick with stereo when listrening to stereo recordings? And what about pro logic...?
I like it a lot, in fact I very rarely watch a stereo source in stereo any more. As far as the codec used, it's mainly Auro but at the start of a new stereo source I'll usually jump between Dolby Surround, DTS Neural, and Auro to see which one performs the best with that particular album mix. I presently don't have access to Pro Logic or Logic 7 decoding in my AVR's options. When I can, I'll usually chose to keep the overhead speakers off when upsampling stereo, I don't find stereo upsamples to "Atmos" very well. JMHO

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sorry if i missed it but what do you use to decode Atmos from the HDMI stream of the Apple TV 4K?
The Apple's HDMI cable is plugged directly into my Marantz AV7703 Pre/Pro.
It automagically detects a Atmos stream and decodes it. ;)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm been involved in getting some room treatment done and I'm going to stick up some pictures here to give a basic outline of what I've doing. When I'm completely done I'll update the photos in the first post after the slightly beautifying steps have been taken. Good thing I'm single, I could never get a women to go along with what I've done to my "Man Cave". LOL There wasn't any real open wall space available to hang acoustic panels so something had to go and it ended up being the windows. From my POV it's a win-win-win situation, I gain a lot of sq ft of sound treatment area, I gain a lot of temperature insulation since my windows were crap for that anyway, I gain a lot of sound insulation to keep from bothering neighbors all around from my all night listening sessions. LOL Oh and some more wins, I didn't have to build all those frames for the acoustic panels. I just cut the material to size and stuff it in the window opening, I don't really have any interest in seeing or hearing the neighbors on either side, and no one on the outside can see the $ investment I have on gear inside. Lastly, I don't have to try and explain to a OL why I'm doing all this. Life and God is good.
I did a lot of homework on the material, etc; but I wasn't really able to use any science in the best placement spots and so on. I just had to place it where I could. The material is 2" thick Roxul Rockboard 60 Mineral Wool Board. Fairly pricey with the shipping but it is a great product, for this use I don't believe you can find better unless you get the 3" thick version. For visual improvement I'm putting up some acoustically transparent sheer drapery panels in front of them. I can still see the Rockboard thru it but it doesn't bother me and if you use something that's less transparent the sound panels won't do their job as well.
I can't offer any measurements on it's effectiveness but can throw in some terribly subjective comments. First it lowered the rooms background noise a lot, blocking the outside noise from traffic, etc; from coming thru the very cheap single pane windows my unit has installed. I had been thinking about putting new windows in but this insulating material will for sure lower my heating/cooling costs more than any thermopane glass ever could. (another big win)
As to the change in my systems sound, I'm pleased in the extreme. I can't detail out the how's and why's but I'll guess that the lowering of reflections in the mid and upper frequency's throughout the room has given me what I can only attribute to a major increase in inner detail.. Just like turning the focus wheel on a camera or binoculars, background music details sharpened into a much clearer focus. Also due to the badly non-symmetrical design of my room (a wall down the left side, open floor-plan to the kitchen on the right, there was always a somewhat wonky factor to my imaging with the image mostly not going beyond the left side wall but the right side showing considerable depth.. This weird upset of the image is mostly gone with all the treatment that has been installed along the left wall.
I will concede that what I'm hearing could be 100% bias induced, but if it is that's just fine. The $500 I invested in materials, new draperies, etc; is more than worth the improvements I've experienced. I don't remember this small a $ number returning this large an improvement in the past.
Let the flames begin. :p
IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

More to come. ;)

kschmit2

really no more natural lighting in your place now? I could handle it I guess, but most people I know really couldn't.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How is the sound when speaking in the room and clapping the hands together. Is it damped and have much less reflections?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
sound dampening? are you sure you're not bunkering in? :oops:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are really embracing the cave part of man cave, I approve.

Did you do before and after measurements? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a measurable improvement, but always interesting to see.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
really no more natural lighting in your place now? I could handle it I guess, but most people I know really couldn't.
Well I have double sliding glass door on the back wall with vertical blinds that I can open and close at will,
and a skylight over the kitchen but that's about it.
I do actually prefer it that way for a number of reasons, there's not much going on outside I want to see, and
there's nothing inside that's is anybody on the outsides business. ;)

How is the sound when speaking in the room and clapping the hands together. Is it damped and have much less reflections?
Yes, not anechoic flat of course but fairly dead sounding. When I get around to learning how, I'll do some reverberation time measurements. Otherwise, with music playing I think it sounds just about perfect, no slap echo or other nasty ringing.

are you sure you're not bunkering in?
Could be a bit of that too, the US Army trained me very well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Sal1950 sounds good then. On a side note... hehe. I got this 40% THC hash last night in the 2g size for $32.62 Burns goood.
"...collect the trichomes. Then with gentle heat we press them together to create a consistent, slightly sticky black hash with the colour of dark, cacao forward chocolate."
Screenshot 2022-03-05 130949.png

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@Sal1950 sounds good then. On a side note... hehe. I got this 40% THC hash last night in the 2g size for $32.62 Burns goood.
"...collect the trichomes. Then with gentle heat we press them together to create a consistent, slightly sticky black hash with the colour of dark, cacao forward chocolate."
View attachment 190649
That's just frinkin mean. :p
You should consider a road trip to FL.
It's 83f and sunny today. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's just frinkin mean. :p
You should consider a road trip to FL.
It's 83f and sunny today. ;)
Lol... I'm so accustomed to cold'n dry weather that in temps of ~83F (28.3C) I cook, sweat and burn. Last June and July I thought I was going to go insane with the heat. It was hot days and warm nights for weeks. :D

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Lol... I'm so accustomed to cold'n dry weather that in temps of ~83F (28.3C) I cook, sweat and burn. Last June and July I thought I was going to go insane with the heat. It was hot days and warm nights for weeks. :D
Then I feel sorry for you, you've grown too accustom to life in an igloo

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just finished getting around to updating my photos, etc to show SVD Prime Elevation ceiling speakers for Atmos-Auro.
Also included pictures of the mostly completed room treatments I've put up using window areas and ROCKWOOL ROCKBOARD® 60 in 2" thick material.
NOT Wife acceptable. LOL

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just finished getting around to updating my photos, etc to show SVD Prime Elevation ceiling speakers for Atmos-Auro.
Also included pictures of the mostly completed room treatments I've put up using window areas and ROCKWOOL ROCKBOARD® 60 in 2" thick material.
NOT Wife acceptable. LOL
Lol... I had that exact same stripped colored poncho/rug thingy from Mexico. My mother brought it back for me after one of her many trips there. My fav was the yellow'ishy snake-skin cowboy boots they got me one trip and they fit like I was born in them. I never found out how they did that. How many degrees did the rockwool in the windows drop the temperature from before and after?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How many degrees did the rockwool in the windows drop the temperature from before and after?
Can't really say, here in Fl the house is closed-up with AC handling temps most of the year.
Haven't really noticed any change in the bills with prices going up so much on everything.
Damn that Biden.

Top Bottom