• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Salk WoW1 Bookshelf Speaker Review

snapsc

Back to the beginning....Amir concluded with...."Overall, a very disappointing performance...... Needless to say, I can't recommend the Salk WoW1".

So, the measurements would suggest that the speaker doesn't sound so good and there are better options....yet...

People keep buying them and holding on to them....so, pretty good chance that people like them....

Is it their room is "better" for this speaker...is it their equipment...is it their music preference....is it their application....is it something about the RAAL?

Floyd Toole wanted to find out how measurements could be correlated with preferences...and he made a lot of progress.

Yet Amir's findings don't correlate with people's preferences for this particular speaker...the "Science" part of ASR should be curious as to why?

This is just my guess based on Amir's application of filters and his comment, "With both of these fixes in the speaker became rather enjoyable"...that this speaker sounds pretty darn good when it is not asked to push loud bass through its 4" woofer...which others have already said.

But, that is just my theory...what do others think?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Back to the beginning....Amir concluded with...."Overall, a very disappointing performance...... Needless to say, I can't recommend the Salk WoW1".

So, the measurements would suggest that the speaker doesn't sound so good and there are better options....yet...

People keep buying them and holding on to them....so, pretty good chance that people like them....
Are you really suggesting that "popular" implies "good"? See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/dayton-audio-b652-air-speaker-review.11410/ for a clear example of why your reasoning is beyond flawed.

Is it their room is "better" for this speaker...is it their equipment...is it their music preference....is it their application....is it something about the RAAL?
To be honest, it's called being clueless; which would be logical as audiophiles are probably the main audience for these nice looking boutique speakers. Or if I'm nicer, it's simply lacking an actually neutral speaker to compare on the spot.

Floyd Toole wanted to find out how measurements could be correlated with preferences...and he made a lot of progress.

Yet Amir's findings don't correlate with people's preferences for this particular speaker...the "Science" part of ASR should be curious as to why?

This is just my guess based on Amir's application of filters and his comment, "With both of these fixes in the speaker became rather enjoyable"...that this speaker sounds pretty darn good when it is not asked to push loud bass through its 4" woofer...which others have already said.

But, that is just my theory...what do others think?
The only explanation I could think of is the classic audiophile "problem": very narrow and dull musical taste comprised almost only of midrange centric content. Put any hard genre like EBM, extreme metal or simply any symphony and these wouldn't like it. Distorsion isn't too bad for a 4" woofer, though, now that I compare a bit with the Revel M105; once again, these would be acceptable if costing half or a third, but not in this price bracket.
Lot of speakers loved by audiophiles, Harbeth, for example, probably suffer/benefit from this.

But really, lay off the wishful thinking and mental gymnastics: it's not a good speaker. At least this model or sample.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Eh, I have to disagree with this. 2 channel technology is 80 years old and there's really not any more summits to conquer with regard to in room transparency per the limitations of our hearing. It's pretty much a "solved" technology. To clarify, I'm only speaking of 2 channel speakers playing content mixed for 2 channel for someone sitting in the sweet spot/listening window. The focus on directivity over the past decade or so really pushed general speaker design forward to new heights and even budget manufacturers understand the concept well enough that a 300 pair of speakers can be "end game" if you don't need face melting SPLs and lower bass extension (I'm thinking of something like the BSR22 mod).

Pretty much every designer worth their salt understands the importance of directivity, from Harman, Genelec to many of the ID direct designers. As long as they make a speaker that meets that design goal, they are "keeping up." Fully integrated speaker systems with room correction, DACs, etc aren't useful for everyone because many of us use MiniDSP, Dirac, or an Equalizer APO, and some of us don't like the idea of "fully integrated" walled garden systems where you're forced into an ecosystem of some kind. Reducing the need for "boxes" shouldn't be conflated with technological evolution. MiniDSP, for instance, is a wonderfully versatile product that offers the user more control than anything you'll get in GLM.

Point is, passive speakers (with great directivity) employing solutions like MiniDSP, Dirac, multisub, and etc are literally the exact same "concept" as what those fully integrated systems are doing. The former just comes with more boxes, but not better performance.
You’re entitled to your opinion and to chose what to do with your money, and if you like accumulating mountains of equipment without an obvious sonic advantage that’s your choice. But I’m happy I don’t have to have boat anchor mono amps or 5 way speakers in my living room to get a clear window into the music.

As a potential customer, I’m not buying old technology, sorry. Speakers and audio in general have come a long way since the 80’ and 90’.

This thread actually triggered a new purchase for my home office system. I just ordered a pair of Genelec 8030c in white. Assuming they sound as good as they measure (I haven’t had many disappointments experimenting with products that measure well on ASR), I’ll replace 4 boxes with 2, that alone is a big win if I don’t loose sound quality. I’m actually hoping to gain more transparency and a better integration with my less than perfect listening environment. And if looks is what matters, I totally dig the minimal, white, egg shape of the Gens. Form follows function.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Eh, I have to disagree with this. 2 channel technology is 80 years old and there's really not any more summits to conquer with regard to in room transparency per the limitations of our hearing. It's pretty much a "solved" technology. To clarify, I'm only speaking of 2 channel speakers playing content mixed for 2 channel for someone sitting in the sweet spot/listening window. The focus on directivity over the past decade or so really pushed general speaker design forward to new heights and even budget manufacturers understand the concept well enough that a 300 pair of speakers can be "end game" if you don't need face melting SPLs and lower bass extension (I'm thinking of something like the BSR22 mod).

Pretty much every designer worth their salt understands the importance of directivity, from Harman, Genelec to many of the ID direct designers. As long as they make a speaker that meets that design goal, they are "keeping up." Fully integrated speaker systems with room correction, DACs, etc aren't useful for everyone because many of us use MiniDSP, Dirac, or an Equalizer APO, and some of us don't like the idea of "fully integrated" walled garden systems where you're forced into an ecosystem of some kind. Reducing the need for "boxes" shouldn't be conflated with technological evolution. MiniDSP, for instance, is a wonderfully versatile product that offers the user more control than anything you'll get in GLM.

Point is, passive speakers (with great directivity) employing solutions like MiniDSP, Dirac, multisub, and etc are literally the exact same "concept" as what those fully integrated systems are doing. The former just comes with more boxes, but not better performance.
That’s awesome, it would be great if Amir could have one available to review.

Zvu

---------
------------

How did RAAL end up in the middle of this ?

snapsc

Full disclosure... I’m a Salk fan... I’ve heard 3 of their models and liked them all. And I could easily name 10 other speakers I like as well.

Words and a common agreement as to what those words means matters. In this case, For those making loudspeakers for a living, “popular” means/matters if it equates to more sales.

Given all the comments about Salk sound, Salk intension, etc., I will ask again, how many posters have heard these or other Salk speakers in the home environment... and what was your impression?

For some, what they hear matters as much as what they measure... and sometimes the one exceeds the other.

And for some, maybe those not putting their equipment in cabinets or behind screens, what they see influences what they hear... so product looks can be an asset.

Bottom line, it appears Amir actually liked the sound when not called on to produce pounding bass.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Full disclosure... I’m a Salk fan... I’ve heard 3 of their models and liked them all. And I could easily name 10 other speakers I like as well.

Words and a common agreement as to what those words means matters. In this case, For those making loudspeakers for a living, “popular” means/matters if it equates to more sales.

Given all the comments about Salk sound, Salk intension, etc., I will ask again, how many posters have heard these or other Salk speakers in the home environment... and what was your impression?

For some, what they hear matters as much as what they measure... and sometimes the one exceeds the other.

And for some, maybe those not putting their equipment in cabinets or behind screens, what they see influences what they hear... so product looks can be an asset.

Bottom line, it appears Amir actually liked the sound when not called on to produce pounding bass.
At 40Hz, there is more distortion than woofer output, that still is in the realm of most music. 35Hz and below is where you usually are in the pop/hip-hop realm. I’m an advocate of crossing over to a subwoofer(s), but I still like the speakers to be competent at 40Hz.
If you are listening to jazz, these speakers should sound good (other than the issue ~600Hz).

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
...And if looks is what matters, I totally dig the minimal, white, egg shape of the Gens. Form follows function.

I am not a hug fan of the Genelec look, I guess I am just neutral, but lets face it, you can not get that insanely flat response easily with a square box. All that curvy roundedness serves to minimize the diffraction issue that any speaker deals with. (the other option is that jewel like, faced stuff you see in other products which I actually like the look of more)

Lonestar1027

Forum Donor
Quite frankly, if I were not an old guy living on my Social Security pension, I would rather have a pair of the beautiful Salk WOW's on my desk rather than my very good sounding, but ugly black Q-Acoustics 3010i's.

The Song3 BeAT is available with either front or rear ports - which did you order, Lonestar? And what veneer/finish? I am really looking forward to your BeATs being measured by Amir, but will not be disappointed if they do not measure perfectly. The big question for me is whether these 3-way ported towers (not listed as a transmission line like many other Salk models) with the 7.5" Satori woofer can truly reach down to 33Hz at claimed -3dB point.

Speaking of beauty, below is a photo of the Salk BeATs with an "exotic veneer finish" - in this instance, a bookmatched Carpathian Elm Burl with nicely rounded edges and the sprayed black edges that I believe is what Salk calls "Fireburst". This is fine woodworking and finishing, targeted at those who appreciate - and can afford it. I imagine that one of the reasons you rarely see Salk speakers with exotic wood veneers on the used market is that they are custom products, and not clones from a production line. Salk loudspeakers are like other pieces of fine, custom made furniture where customers put a lot of time and effort into working with the shop owner on the design and details, and then wait patiently while their works of art are produced and finished by real craftsmen - not production line workers. Many people simply cannot appreciate artisan craftsmanship like this, and will put down those who do. As a former hobbyist fine woodworker who has participated in the annual "Artistry in Wood" exhibit and juried competition at the Sonoma County Museum in Northern California, I seek accurate and natural sound in my audio system, but also consider appearance - based on my personal and subjective sense of aesthetics. (I could also be happy with a pair of Revel Performa F206s in the walnut finish.)
View attachment 75255
Notice that each side of the above speakers is individually bookmatched veneer, and that the fronts are book-matched from speaker to speaker. Below is a short video that demonstrates the process of two-way bookmatching of veneers.

I went with a curly walnut veneer with a brown/orange dye. For reference, they should end up looking like this when complete: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=v1l46g5hr6hpeflkm45l4pnl42&topic=165145.0 .

Scroll down to see a picture of those in natural light. I wanted something fairly simple but stunning.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
At 40Hz, there is more distortion than woofer output, that still is in the realm of most music. 35Hz and below is where you usually are in the pop/hip-hop realm. I’m an advocate of crossing over to a subwoofer(s), but I still like the speakers to be competent at 40Hz.
If you are listening to jazz, these speakers should sound good (other than the issue ~600Hz).
Just wondering aloud if there are speakers with 4" drivers that have good output at 40hrz? I have seen some that make such claims but in all my speaker buying and trading I have never actually had a 4 incher. (well take that back I did have that budget Pioneer for a hot minute) Anyway what are the options here that perform in this class?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I went with a curly maple veneer with a brown/orange dye. For reference, they should end up looking like this when complete: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=v1l46g5hr6hpeflkm45l4pnl42&topic=165145.0 .

Scroll down to see a picture of those in natural light. I wanted something fairly simple but stunning.
Really beautiful speaker.
Very well designed on the outside. I really like the woofer near the floor. Should really help minimize the nulls that occur when the woofer is higher off the floor. I dig it so far.... now test!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wondering aloud if there are speakers with 4" drivers that have good output at 40hrz? I have seen some that make such claims but in all my speaker buying and trading I have never actually had a 4 incher. (well take that back I did have that budget Pioneer for a hot minute) Anyway what are the options here that perform in this class?
How many speakers with 4” woofers are $1400?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I can't believe this thread has gotten so much attention...

Let's call a spade a spade. The objective performance isn't great. It portrays some pretty non-linear characteristics, a variable early reflections DI and extremely low sensitivity. Based on the objective data, this is a rather mediocre performing speaker. And, objectively speaking, this Neumi speaker isn't too far off the performance of the Salk speaker in question and it's $90/pair.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/neumi_bs5/

I'm sure it sounds fine to most. The dip around 600Hz may not even be a big issue for some. But the data itself, the purpose of all of this effort, shows a mediocre performing speaker. This one should have been as simple as "Okay, not great, if Jim wants to join in to discuss my measurements he can. Moving on.". Unfortunately, here we are...

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I can't believe this thread has gotten so much attention...

Let's call a spade a spade. The objective performance is pretty bad. It portrays some pretty non-linear characteristics, a variable early reflections DI and extremely low sensitivity. Based on the objective data, this is a rather mediocre performing speaker. And, objectively speaking, this Neumi speaker isn't too far off the performance of the Salk speaker in question and it's $90/pair.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/neumi_bs5/

I'm sure it sounds fine to most. The dip around 600Hz may not even be a big issue for some. But the data itself, the purpose of all of this effort, shows a mediocre performing speaker. This one should have been as simple as "Okay, not great, if Jim wants to join in to discuss my measurements he can. Moving on.". Unfortunately, here we are...
It was fun while it lasted... But you are absolutely right, I’m bored with this thread now, I’m officially un-watching it....

Funny how the same people that crap on Bose speakers for choosing form over sound are over here boot licking the same speaker design from Salk. Anyway if you are really in need for that extra thump why not just use an AudioQuest diamond speaker cable, surely will provide that missing low frequency.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Funny how the same people that crap on Bose speakers for choosing form over sound are over here boot licking the same speaker design from Salk. Anyway if you are really in need for that extra thump why not just use an AudioQuest diamond speaker cable, surely will provide that missing low frequency.
Lol... I’ve been wonder if I should trade my subs for new high end speaker cables to get more bass extension... Oh wait... Darn it, I can’t use speaker cables with self powered speakers...

Ok, now I’m un-watching this thread for real.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Lol... I’ve been wonder if I should trade my subs for new high end speaker cables to get more bass extension... Oh wait... Darn it, I can’t use speaker cables with self powered speakers...

Ok, now I’m un-watching this thread for real.
Liar liar pants on fire

Lonestar1027

Forum Donor
The Song3 BeAT is available with either front or rear ports - which did you order, Lonestar?

I forgot to put this in earlier, but I went with the forward port. I also got some magnets inlaid in the back to hold the grille when removed from the front, but otherwise they are standard BeATs.

Top Bottom