• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

safety and power amplifiers with external supplies

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are seeing amplifiers now with fairly powerful external power supplies. I assume some of these exceed LPS rating. So in that case should the amplifier itself conform with either Class i or Class ii precautions as if it had an internal supply? Are the makers of these amps doing this? I see the compliance markings on the power bricks but not on the back of the amplifiers.

egellings

Major Contributor
I think that safety ratings are given to devices that have a power cord that connects to the AC mains, so an amplifier with a UL or CE rated power brick or supply does not itself need these ratings, since the amplifier does not connect directly to the AC power line.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that safety ratings are given to devices that have a power cord that connects to the AC mains, so an amplifier with a UL or CE rated power brick or supply does not itself need these ratings, since the amplifier does not connect directly to the AC power line.
I think I typed this before thinking enough. I guess anything that used a class i external supply would ground the chassis, and class ii would be isolated so then safe anyway even if DC supply provides dangerous levels?

egellings

Major Contributor
A lot of external supplies have 2-wire power cords, with no ground connection. They can get away with that by using double-insulated components that contact the AC line.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of external supplies have 2-wire power cords, with no ground connection. They can get away with that by using double-insulated components that contact the AC line.
Yes. And I guess there is no requirement with an internal power supply to double insulate with the DC rails and so there is really no difference in that regard whether the power supply is external or internal.

egellings

Major Contributor
The big reason for the use of external rather than internal power supplies is that the equipment manufacturer does not have to go through the expensive approval process to get a UL type safety rating. Just buy a UL or similar approved outboard modular supply and escape that whole hassle.

Timstunes

Forum Donor
Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of Digishuo psus? Looking for one for A07 amp. Specifically this:

DIGISHUO DC 48V 5A 240W Power Supply Adapter Transformer Switch AC 110V/220V to DC 48V 5A Switching Converter LED Driver for LED Strip Light CCTV Camera Security System (48V 5A 240W)

Top Bottom