• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Safe XLR to RCA cable

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Hi everyone!

I have an SMSL M500 DAC. My goal is to send a signal to both the Cambridge Audio AXA25 I just purchased for my new KEF Q150s (nearfield desktop listening) AND to my existing monolith liquid spark headphone amp.

My thought is to use XLR to RCA cables since the DAC can output both XLR and RCA simultaneously, although I am scared to damage my equipment by using the wrong cable (other threads have discussed issues with the way certain XLR to RCA cables may handle the ground). Is there something I can be sure will be safe?

I am not expecting any benefit from the XLR and realize it will be unbalanced. This just seems like a better setup than a y adapter off of the RCA.

The other option would be to go RCA in to the liquid spark and then also use the preamp out on the liquid spark to go into the AXA, but that feels like an unnecessary interconnect given the DAC, spark and amp all have volume control.

Finally, the amp has a rec out that could likely go into the spark, but it is unclear to me how I would use the headphones without the speakers also being on based on the AXA manual.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Monoprice Premier XLR female to RCA adapters are safe for your use with using both outputs of your DAC.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-104784-Premier-Female-16AWG/dp/B001UNIT9A/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2EZZ33KKIM8BL&dchild=1&keywords=monoprice+3ft+premier+series+xlr+female+to+rca+male+cable&qid=1608775679&sprefix=monoprice+xlr+to+rca+premier,aps,179&sr=8-1

These are safe with Amphenol connectors.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunburst-Gea...o+rca+amphenol+sunburst&qid=1608781378&sr=8-3

PLEASE NOTE The original Sunburst link was to the wrong gender XLR. I now have the correct one listed.

Last edited:

Rock Rabbit

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Better use a pair of rca splitter cables from DAC to amp and hp amp. Then you have a uniform line level at rca inputs.
The XLR outputs of the DAC can go to 7 V rms (3.5 V rms hot to gnd) a level too high for rca "line level".
The M500 volume for 2 V rms rca is not the same as for 4 V rms on XLR
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/
Since one feeds speakers and one feeds headphones you don't really need the two to match exactly in volume output. I don't see the benefit of going the splitter route.

Rock Rabbit

Since one feeds speakers and one feeds headphones you don't really need the two to match exactly in volume output. I don't see the benefit of going the splitter route.
Only to stay at rca line level (not more than 2 V typical). I use an XLR to rca DAC to amp, but for line level compatibility the DAC must be at -12 dBFS

Last edited:
OP
A

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Better use a pair of rca splitter cables from DAC to amp and hp amp. Then you have a uniform line level at rca inputs.
The XLR outputs of the DAC can go to 7 V rms (3.5 V rms hot to gnd) a level too high for rca "line level".
The M500 volume for 2 V rms rca is not the same as for 4 V rms on XLR
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/
Thanks! In googling this some more, I saw debate on signal quality, but most people seem to think it works fine. I may give it a shot and a/b test it.

OP
A

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Thanks.. the reviews seem to indicate there may be a QC issue with wiring the wrong pins together. I may just end up being too nervous about damaging my equipment, which is a reflection on me I guess!

raif71

Major Contributor
Last year I bought a pair of xlr to rca cable to connect the atom to a pair of monitors (xlr in). No sound came out of the monitors. Any ideas?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.. the reviews seem to indicate there may be a QC issue with wiring the wrong pins together. I may just end up being too nervous about damaging my equipment, which is a reflection on me I guess!

I suppose. Not sure if they have more issues than other brands as they have lots more reviews.

I've used a dozen sets (counting XLR to XLR) and never had a single problem. I've recommended them to friends who have probably more than a dozen sets between them. Again no issues. But I understand being cautious if something of more consistent quality is available. These are better than some because beyond having a twisted pair they have double layered shielding. So that when used unbalanced like going to an RCA the inner conductor is well shielded when the negative pin goes to ground. They are less likely to pick up a bit of hum than some twisted pairs only type cables.

OP
A

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Top Bottom