• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sacd and pc and headphone

Bliman

Hi all,
I am creating my headphone setup. I have bought a Beyerdynamic DT250 250 Ohm. And next year when it will be available in Europe I most likely will buy the JDS Labs Atom headphone amp. I will use it with my Pc.
Now I am looking at the dacs and I see that most of them support dsd.
Now I have a couple of Sacd from the label Bis, they are hybrid Sacd. I don't own a Sacd player. My question is if there is a way to play these Sacd's on the pc? Or is that not possible? Or can I only get them to play on the pc by buying a Sacd player and converting them in some way to move them to the pc?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Google "rip sacd to dsf"

I have no idea, but that should get you started.

mansr

Major Contributor
SACDs can only be read by licensed drives, not by regular DVD drives for PCs. Ripping can be done, thanks to firmware bugs, with certain Oppo and Pioneer players as well as first-generation PS3 consoles. It is not possible using any regular computer.

With hybrid discs, the CD layer can ripped just like a regular CD.

OP
B

Bliman

SACDs can only be read by licensed drives, not by regular DVD drives for PCs. Ripping can be done, thanks to firmware bugs, with certain Oppo and Pioneer players as well as first-generation PS3 consoles. It is not possible using any regular computer.

With hybrid discs, the CD layer can ripped just like a regular CD.
Ok thank you for the elaborate answer.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Since your discussing headphone use I take it that your not interested in multich playback.
For stereo, if the interest is sound quality, not worth the effort over redbook playback.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Hi all,
I am creating my headphone setup. I have bought a Beyerdynamic DT250 250 Ohm. And next year when it will be available in Europe I most likely will buy the JDS Labs Atom headphone amp. I will use it with my Pc.
Now I am looking at the dacs and I see that most of them support dsd.
Now I have a couple of Sacd from the label Bis, they are hybrid Sacd. I don't own a Sacd player. My question is if there is a way to play these Sacd's on the pc? Or is that not possible? Or can I only get them to play on the pc by buying a Sacd player and converting them in some way to move them to the pc?

The easiest maybe to rip your SACD using something like a PlayStation PS3 (with firmware v3.55 or earlier). Here is the link to the guide. You will need a USB thumbdrive plugged into the PS3.

https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

This process give you the ISO file saved into the USB thumbdrive.

Then bring the USB thumbdrive to your PC and convert the ISO file into the DSD/DSF file on your PC, using something like ISO2DSD:

https://www.sonore.us/iso2dsd.html

Once you get the DSF files then you are done. You can now listen to them using JRiver or other DSD playback software, with a DSD-capable DAC (like the Topping D50 reviewed here at ASR).

OP
B

Bliman

Since your discussing headphone use I take it that your not interested in multich playback.
For stereo, if the interest is sound quality, not worth the effort over redbook playback.
Ok first thanks for all the answers.
I am quite new to this.
Now I have found out that you can buy digital files like here (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8390892--smetana-ma-vlast) in Hi Res Flac. Am I correct that it is the same quality then Sacd?
And if I buy such Hi Res can I burn it to regular cd if I also want to play it on my main system with a normal cd player?
A bit like the reverse that I asked.
Is it still hotly debated if 24bit/96khz is better then normal cd quality flac?

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Ok first thanks for all the answers.
I am quite new to this.
Now I have found out that you can buy digital files like here (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8390892--smetana-ma-vlast) in Hi Res Flac. Am I correct that it is the same quality then Sacd?
And if I buy such Hi Res can I burn it to regular cd if I also want to play it on my main system with a normal cd player?

There are a few sites that sell Hi-Res files. Presto is one, HDtracks, BlueCoast, etc. Here is a quick guide;

https://dsd-guide.com/where-can-you-find-dsd-music-downloads#.XAIAQIpOnxw

Am I correct that it is the same quality then Sacd?

The question of “quality” objectively depends on the provenance of the material, the mastering, engineering, etc. But subjectively, whether one format (e.g. DSD/DSF) is better than another (e.g. FLAC) depends on the person. Your playback equipment also may influence this.

Yes that is possible because it’s just files. You may need to “down convert” to a different resolution first before placing on CD.

However, I’m not sure whether the Hi-Res licensing (when you buy the files) permits you to do this (I’ve never checked).

This one is a religious question ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
B

Bliman

Ok thank you all.
I have become much wiser. Thanks for helping.

Top Bottom