• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 vs. SMSL M500 vs. Topping DX7 Pro: measurement comparison

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
By the way, I'm finding using the DAC remote for volume control to be the way to go. I think @amirm mentioned that technically it's also superior, although I'd like to hear what the EEs have to say about that.
I am an EE!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
POWER VS. DISTORTION (XLR out using 50 Ohm load)
I didn't find this for the SMSL M500, so only the Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7 Pro are pictured.
The M500 doesn't have XLR headphone output so naturally I did not measure such.

Welcome to ASR.

Borrowed from @Julf from a different post: "Balanced/differential interconnects actually offer common mode noise rejection and avoidance of ground loops. For headphones all they offer is a slight increase in output level (that could be easily be done unbalanced too)."

So having balanced interconnects between your equipment (e.g., XLR outputs on your DAC --> XLR inputs on your amp) is a good thing, but likely more of an insurance policy; it's only useful if you have a ground loop problem.

As for your question (the balanced headphone out): no change in sound quality, just more power. Perhaps useful if you're planning to drive high impedance headphones, but in your case (36 Ohm headphones) the SE output on either the Sabaj D5 or the M500 will be plenty of power.
Thank you very much, you dispelled my doubts, I will buy the M500, in addition, it supports MQA, which is convenient to use with Tidal. Although, as I understand it, many here do not consider this a big advantage):)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's great but it seems to overlook the most important measurement, SMSL and Topping both get golfing pink panther but Sabaj gets cool lying down pink panther, so it must be the best DAC.
Golfing panther points to superior device as of lying one AFAIK.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please help me decide - I choose between Sabaj D5 and SMSL M500. I have headphones with
balanced connection (AT-MSR7B). How much difference in sound will be between
balanced and SE connection (MSR7B have low resistance 36 Ohms)?
For me, Sabaj's advantage is only in the presence of a balanced headphone output, if the difference is small - I prefer the M500.
The SE output of M500 is already widely overkill for your ATHs. The BAL output of D5 is most likely useless for such headphones.

Go for the M500.

TC!!

Just wanted to add one extra difference for people weighing up the choices. I was put off the Sabaj D5 when I found out you need a device from Sabaj to be able to perform a firmware update. I've worked with TV manufacturers from China and Taiwan and they all use these kinds of boards during development but they'd never expect a customer to use one to perform an upgrade.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Just wanted to add one extra difference for people weighing up the choices. I was put off the Sabaj D5 when I found out you need a device from Sabaj to be able to perform a firmware update. I've worked with TV manufacturers from China and Taiwan and they all use these kinds of boards during development but they'd never expect a customer to use one to perform an upgrade.

You mean like a JTAG board?

mmicko

Very useful comparison.
As a DX7s owner, I would like to see also the headphone output measurement, to be able decide if upgrade will be perceptible. Unfortunately in DX7s review are headphone output graphs missing
@amirm do you still have the DX7s unit you used before it was substituted by DX7 PRO? Could you please measure the 1/4 and ballanced HP output for us? I believe there is much more DX7s owners with same dilemma like I have...

Thanks in advance

TC!!

You mean like a JTAG board?
I've looked for a photo I'd seen in the Sabaj D5 thread but can't find it now. I think that's the right name for theirs, the ones I'd used were basic USB->Serial adaptors that used standard connectors like VGA during development but would normally be disabled in hardware for a shipping product.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem but when you have 3 products which are so similar, details like this are on the list of cons for me.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm do you still have the DX7s unit you used before it was substituted by DX7 PRO? Could you please measure the 1/4 and ballanced HP output for us? I believe there is much more DX7s owners with same dilemma like I have...
I gave that away to my son. So it is not here to measure it anymore.

Sak

I was put off the Sabaj D5 when I found out you need a device from Sabaj to be able to perform a firmware update.
In my opinion, this is a very positive aspect. Because when a bug is detected, and patches from the developer are released, there is an opportunity to update firmware by yourself. Unlike the same m500, where it is possible to update only xmos driver. In addition, the device for updating firmware It comes for free from manufacturer, I do not see any negative sides here, only positive aspect.
I already updated the firmware on my device, and minor bugs were fixed.

Last edited:

TC!!

In my opinion, this is a very positive aspect. Because when a bug is detected, and patches from the developer are released, there is an opportunity to update firmware by yourself. Unlike the same m500, where it is possible to update only xmos driver. In addition, the device for updating firmware It comes for free from manufacturer, I do not see any negative sides here, only positive aspect.
I already updated the firmware on my device, and minor bugs were fixed.

Thanks for your input, if the Sabaj D5 tool allows for a more 'complete' firmware update then you're right, that should be seen as a positive.

sonci

Which unit will still work in five years?
I think this is the most important aspect. I have pretty good experience in reliability with Topping but can't comment on the other 2..
But, since the SMSL is 200$ cheaper, this is also a deal breaker, and all 3 have linear psu..
I think Topping should price the Dx7 more aggressively or it'll be out of the market..

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welcome to ASR.

Borrowed from @Julf from a different post: "Balanced/differential interconnects actually offer common mode noise rejection and avoidance of ground loops. For headphones all they offer is a slight increase in output level (that could be easily be done unbalanced too)."

So having balanced interconnects between your equipment (e.g., XLR outputs on your DAC --> XLR inputs on your amp) is a good thing, but likely more of an insurance policy; it's only useful if you have a ground loop problem.

As for your question (the balanced headphone out): no change in sound quality, just more power. Perhaps useful if you're planning to drive high impedance headphones, but in your case (36 Ohm headphones) the SE output on either the Sabaj D5 or the M500 will be plenty of power.
Greetings.
Thanks to the author of the site for his work and please excuse my google-translated english:)
Please help me decide - I choose between Sabaj D5 and SMSL M500. I have headphones with
balanced connection (AT-MSR7B). How much difference in sound will be between
balanced and SE connection (MSR7B have low resistance 36 Ohms)?
For me, Sabaj's advantage is only in the presence of a balanced headphone output, if the difference is small - I prefer the M500.
Thanks for answers.
MSR7s are pretty low end, highly bright headphones...they will make one deaf if used at high volumes (don't mean to be offensive here)...been trying to sell mine for a while now. Anyways, with that pair of headphones, you don't need an external DAC I feel..the M500 is wayyy more expensive than the MSR7s...I'd upgrade the headphones first!

Island_Kenny

I think this is the most important aspect. I have pretty good experience in reliability with Topping but can't comment on the other 2..
But, since the SMSL is 200$ cheaper, this is also a deal breaker, and all 3 have linear psu..
I think Topping should price the Dx7 more aggressively or it'll be out of the market..
my only purchase of a topping product was dead on arrival so you never know. but you hope that they put extra QC effort on their top line yet no way to know if it is true. buy from a retailer with good return/exchange policies

Top Bottom