• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 vs. SMSL M500 vs. Topping DX7 Pro: measurement comparison

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have a hard time deciding between the Topping D70 and M500. I have zero interest in the headphone amplifier.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have a hard time deciding between the Topping D70 and M500. I have zero interest in the headphone amplifier.

I have both, and haven't developed any preference for one or the other...fwiw.

Both have performed flawlessly for me.

Tks

Major Contributor

For me it seems a tossup. Do you want two optical inputs, or trade one of them for a wireless bluetooth input.

Aside from that, they're both pretty great.

Solzod

Greetings everyone, Just joined ASR.

To give you a little bit of info, A budding Audiophile here - My iPod 5.5G is still with me since 2007 but now with Rockbox and iFlash Quad for all my FLAC files at 400GB, and I also have the Galaxy S which was Voodoo Sound from Wolfson, maybe both measure not so accurate but I love the iPod sound, some say 5.5G has bass roll off and 6G is better but to my ears 6G is too clinical and metallic also fatiguing. So the iPod 5.5G was mny go to device until the V30 came into the picture, damn this V30 is excellent phone from design to battery optimization to the camera (Pro camera controls for both video and photo modes) and the whole LG UX, I always preferred Custom ROMs since 2.2 but this LG UX works like day , the best is superb sound system, the ESS9218P is stellar, the Filters are super welcome not using the Presets for Live/Bass etc as they muddy up and neither the EQ, V30 doesn't have EQ nor DTS X (Actually the firmware has them, if you root and edit build prop the DTS X shows up. for EQ one need to add G7 apk. I run it Bootloader unlocked as Android/phone without root is not possible to use. And this V30 beat my iPod 5.5G, especially in the Sub Bass area. I use DUNU DN1000 btw and I tried all XML hacks for the HIM modes, and nope they do not add anything except noise and distortion on low impedance gear. and btw I came accross ASR from Amir's G7 review which was superb to mention how the ESS likes High Impedance gear to push 2VRMs output which is often ignored by Anandtech writer as a stupid DAC which is shameful given their reputation of HW reviews from Architectural to realworld usage.

Sorry to bore.... Now the important part, finally have some space to hook my HD6XX up (Very rarely used that to only from V30 but the phone couldn't get it to maximum capacity to my ears). Initially (Last year) I was going for Magni Modi Schiit Stack also I was eyeing the alternatives like NvAvguy's design JDS Labs O2 then found it being too analytical for my ears, I learnt about this last year and couldn't purchase anything though. I also read how Schiit banned him from Head Fi on speaking against them (Today I recalled this again) and was eyeing the Asgard since it was a full one stop shop for Pre Amps since I wanted to buy some superb active monitors too (JBL 305P MKII and Kali LP6 made it to final where I'm thinking for latter due to the bass and less hiss due to Class D amps) and HD6XX + IEMs, I may end up buying Final Audio E5000 which are insanely hard to drive but due to the Sub Bass slam they have which beats already powerful DN1000's visceral bass I'd like to have them in my gear.

Again read some sites where they mentioned ASR hates Schiit (When I was eyeing the Asgard 3, hope to see Amir's take on it) and then I just recalled again the Schiit fiasco with ASR which I vaguely remember since I came across that long time back, which peaked my interest in the reviews of the DAC/AMP gear.. even though I understand jackshit, sorry for being such a noob. However I just learnt how many options there are here and so much of discussion happening instead of the usual bs reddit.

Learnt 1/8s rule of Output Impedance part for amp, I learnt how Topping just blows all of these expensive gear with LDAC and that beautiful display and built and tons of features damn the remote too.., then the Channel imbalances, the Schiit's EL Transformer approach ( and their magical Unison.. ) but also the topping issues damn and the ESS Hump.

I was looking at D30/A30 stack but looking at A30 Output Impedance shook me away, then the DX3 Pro and the incapability of the AMP plus the damn issues around it, very unfortunate that model looks solid and the features are great, Aune X1S also same issue as output impedance and now the SMSL has issues again, all Chi-Fi same hit or miss. My budget was just 200USD but these options made me look more since one stop solution was more practical and expandable as well so the DX7s Pro peaked my interest It was all stellar until I saw that huge output impedance again, JDS Atom is plastic which I'm not buying into at all, the Element II looks great but expensive if you look at DX7s Pro plus how well the D50s is alone as a DAC (read the coax has issues again damn-it) was going to pair it up with a good AMP (I like the ESS Filters that are in V30 and love how Topping DACs have that option), dunno which standalone one is great that brings up the pure sound performance of the HD6XX, I listen to Post / Progressive Rock and Ambient Electronic downtempo, Synthwave/Retro, Vocal Progressive Trance (Denis Kenzo) so I need that Sub Bass.

So please can you guys suggest me something which fits the bill ($550 max) and suits the idea...Thank you for your time. Also thank you for making this a great place to spend time to really learn something great for our sonic bliss.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Greetings everyone, Just joined ASR.

To give you a little bit of info ...

So please can you guys suggest me something which fits the bill ($550 max) and suits the idea...Thank you for your time. Also thank you for making this a great place to spend time to really learn something great for our sonic bliss.

Welcome to ASR.

Fairly difficult to understand what exactly it is you're looking for based on what you wrote above. Keep in mind that small differences in measurements -- especially with high performing gear -- will not be audible, so I think some of your concerns about specific units are overstated. (e.g., the "ESS IMD hump"; it exists, but likely does not have an audible impact for top-measuring equipment.)

Given your budget limitation I would recommend all three of the DAC/amp combos listed in this measurement comparison as they are all high performers that provide tremendous value given their respective price points.
  • The output impedance of the DX7 Pro (6.2 Ω) is not a concern for driving your 300 Ω HD6XX's.
  • You might focus on the Sabaj D5 or the DX7 Pro as they have XLR headphone outs, which will have greater power than the 1/4 out.
Otherwise you might consider the Topping D50s (regularly has runs on Drop) paired with any one of these THX headphone amps: Drop 789, Massdrop 887, or the SMSL SP200. Slightly above your budget number but you'd be getting a SOTA amp paired with a very capable DAC. The only thing you'd be giving up are XLR outs on the DAC, but that only matters if you have ground loop issues.

I don't own any of these units so I can't speak to any possible issues regarding build quality / reliability, which you seem to infer for a few of the devices you mention.

Solzod

Welcome to ASR.

Fairly difficult to understand what exactly it is you're looking for based on what you wrote above. Keep in mind that small differences in measurements -- especially with high performing gear -- will not be audible, so I think some of your concerns about specific units are overstated. (e.g., the "ESS IMD hump"; it exists, but likely does not have an audible impact for top-measuring equipment.)

Given your budget limitation I would recommend all three of the DAC/amp combos listed in this measurement comparison as they are all high performers that provide tremendous value given their respective price points.
  • The output impedance of the DX7 Pro (6.2 Ω) is not a concern for driving your 300 Ω HD6XX's.
  • You might focus on the Sabaj D5 or the DX7 Pro as they have XLR headphone outs, which will have greater power than the 1/4 out.
Otherwise you might consider the Topping D50s (regularly has runs on Drop) paired with any one of these THX headphone amps: Drop 789, Massdrop 887, or the SMSL SP200. Slightly above your budget number but you'd be getting a SOTA amp paired with a very capable DAC. The only thing you'd be giving up are XLR outs on the DAC, but that only matters if you have ground loop issues.

I don't own any of these units so I can't speak to any possible issues regarding build quality / reliability, which you seem to infer for a few of the devices you mention.

Edited for more clarity

Hi !

Apologies for not being clear, the DAC/AMP will be replacing my laptop soundcard, So I will use it for IEMs and Powered Speakers (Preamp is a must for AMP, more below) plus my HD6XXs, So for this use case the DX7s Pro's Output Impedance might cause issues since I prefer non flat sounding Transducers DN1000 and future purchase being Final Audio E5000 or FLC8D which are very low impedance. I noticed Sabaj D5's a bit more neutral, as for THX Amps and SMSL SP200 I think they do not have Preamp out unfortunately ? JDS Labs Element II was interesting to me since it has switched Preamp out which is on my short list. Although a Schit SYS will solve the problem.

Switched part of JDS is super feature as it adds less wear and tear on ports. Asgard 3 also doesn't have that, just to note thinking Magni 3 on short list to pair D50s with or the standalone JDS EL II AMP (I know AMP is very important so please correct me if I'm wrong, having a super transparent great AMPs like THX AAA ones or the EL II AMP will it make my HD6XXs sound thin esp in the Sub-Bass region ?)

Thank you for your kind reply.

About powered speakers connection, I think I should pair them with a DAC/Preamp (but not the AMP technically since they are already powered) So it will be great with the D50s with the remote digital volume control, but here in this case If I use the D50s's RCA out to another AMP for both Low/High gain IEMs and Headphones respectively, I do not have the Preamp anymore, so I want to buy the AMPs which have Preamp out.

Laptop USB out -> D50s (RCA out) -> AMP -> X/Y

X -> IEMs / HD6XX
Y -> Preamp out (Which utilizes the D50s DAC output unamped) -> Powered speakers

I hope I got this right.

Last edited:

DonRua

I'm not aware of issues using the Sabaj D5 as a pre-amp. That said, I don't own one. You may have better luck (on ASR) asking your questions on these threads where there are likely more owners of the D5; this thread probably has more people who are looking to compare/buy.
Looking at your Sherbourn PT-7030, it appears it has:
  1. XLR inputs
  2. Unbalanced RCA inputs
View attachment 38802

So it seems like it would work fine if you were feeding both of your sources -- stereo music via Tidal (via USB) + movie audio via Blu-ray ( via coax/optical) into the Sabaj D5, then passing that on to the PT-7030. You could then route from there as needed.

Please don't take my suggestion as definitive, I don't have a setup like this so I'm only basing this on inputs and outputs. I'm just not aware of anything that disqualifies the D5 as a pre-amp.

Thanx Rick. Sorry for the late reply. Totally preoccupied with work and other incidentals. I find it frustrating to wire my gear probably. One would think source (laptop tidal and lossless purchase) => DAC => pre/pro (sherbourn PT7030) => split to amp 1 and amp 2 where pre => amp 1 (spectrum musician III) => Gallo Ref 3.5 and pro => amp 2 (Emotiva XPA5) => Gallo Ref surround speakers with bass bin.
I couldn't get it to work with the Dac Magic. So I split my system into 2. Source - dac - spectrum musician III - Gallo Ref 3.5 AND DVD - sherbourn - emotiva - surround and bass bin. I suspect the sherbourn hifi 2 channel XLR input don't work.
I think I am going to try the bi-amping again. Get the sabaj. If no sound again, I will take the PT7030 in for a check up. Worse case I split my system again. It is painful to go without hifi for so long.
Stay tuned for update.
Many thanx again

DonRua

I thought the Sherbourne is your preamp? (i.e. accepting multiple inputs and selecting which source is routed to your amps.)

Yes indeed. It has a dedicated XLR input for 2 channel hifi. When I hooked up my previous dac magic, no sound. When I hook the same XLR to the power amp, really good sound. So I suspect either the sherbourn 2 channel XLR input don't work, or I have to push a button to activate it. Either way it was stupid to split my system into 2. I am gonna get the sabaj, try bi-amping again. I may have to take the sherbourn in to get the XLR input checked out. Stay tuned. I am sure I will have more questions when the sabaj arrives. Many thanx again.

sahihe

Forum Donor
Greetings all. I'm planning to replace my DAC (Objective DAC) and an analog preamp (have a few different ones - tubes/LDR based/SS etc :) ) with a DAC+Digital Preamp combo, since all my sources are digital.

M500 or Dx7 Pro fit the bill, but I need to be able to switch to different inputs without being able to look at the DAC display. My equipment is in a media closet, and is controlled via harmony remote, so can't easily see what input the DAC is on.

I see M500 has a single remote button to cycle the inputs, and DX7 Pro uses left and right arrow buttons. Wondering if they have remote commands to directly access the inputs, even though there are no direct input selection buttons on the remote.

An option could be to use DX7 Pro if it doesn't loop around in the inputs. I.e. If you are on the last digital input and press the right arrow, does it go to the first digital input? If it doesn't loop around, then I can make it work.

I'd appreciate if anyone with either of these DACs could provide info on their input selection behavior.

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An option could be to use DX7 Pro if it doesn't loop around in the inputs. I.e. If you are on the last digital input and press the right arrow, does it go to the first digital input? If it doesn't loop around, then I can make it work.
I can confirm the DX7 Pro input selector does loop around; there's no way to know which input you're on from looking at the remote. But the switch is almost instantaneous, so you can tell which input you're on just by listening to what you selected. ;)

sahihe

Forum Donor
I can confirm the DX7 Pro input selector does loop around; there's no way to know which input you're on from looking at the remote. But the switch is almost instantaneous, so you can tell which input you're on just by listening to what you selected. ;)

Thanks for confirming that MediumRare!

That's a bummer, I was hoping for a family friendly setup. DX7 Pro is an excellent fit otherwise. I'll continue to look for other options. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Bun-Bun

On paper the DX7 Pro is the clear choice.

But Toppings issues with the DX3 Pro around it's output stage, revisions changing performance characterisitics (removal of silencing relays, higher output impedance) and half of the units I've received with wonky knobs makes me apprehensive esspecially for the price tag.

Which is a shame since I really prefer the look and interface of Topping vs the other two.

I think I would get the M500 since its comparable performance and much cheaper.

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
On paper the DX7 Pro is the clear choice.

But Toppings issues with the DX3 Pro around it's output stage, revisions changing performance characterisitics (removal of silencing relays, higher output impedance) and half of the units I've received with wonky knobs makes me apprehensive esspecially for the price tag.

Which is a shame since I really prefer the look and interface of Topping vs the other two.

I think I would get the M500 since its comparable performance and much cheaper.

Fair points. Although even on paper the output impendance (6.2 ohms) of the 1/4 jack on the DX7 Pro could easily be a deal breaker, depending on the headphones you own or want to own.

Modellbobby

Hi ,

i am reading all these great Posts and professional measures. I also search for the best dac headphone devise and asking the experts here if the smsl m500 temperature problem is potentially a (includes ESS ES9038Pro DAC chip thermal problem which then relates to all DACs who are using this chip ?

many thanks
Modellbobby

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Fair points. Although even on paper the output impendance (6.2 ohms) of the 1/4 jack on the DX7 Pro could easily be a deal breaker, depending on the headphones you own or want to own.
Had the Philips X2HR connected to the Topping DX7 pro this afternoon. headphone 30 Ohm, topping headphone output 6.2 Ohm. Only a slight barely noticeable attenuation in the bas section was noticed, had to concentrate for it to hear the higher output in the lower regions. IMO no distortion, no boomy bass, no muddy bass, just a slight elevation giving it a bit more presence.

Top Bottom