• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 vs. SMSL M500 vs. Topping DX7 Pro: measurement comparison

DonRua

Due to overwhelming ASR member demand (kidding) I thought it would be interesting to compare three high-performing DAC/amp combos: the Sabaj D5 vs. the SMSL M500 vs. the Topping DX7 Pro. Thanks to @amirm for all of the measurements; all of this info is from him (unless otherwise noted), I'm simply putting the measurements side-by-side.

Author's notes:
  • Sabaj --> SMSL --> Topping is simply alphabetical; I'm not implying one is better than the other.
  • All of the graphics are labeled, but to make it consistent: Sabaj D5 is always on the left, SMSL M500 in the middle, Topping DX7 Pro is always on the right.
  • I have no experience with any of these units, nor do I have any perspective on build quality / customer service.
  • If anyone sees errors / omissions please let me know and I will make corrections.
  • If anyone has issues with the measurements or conclusions ...... take it up with Amir! :D

BASIC SPECS
This is not an exhaustive list.

References:

Shared Specs:
  • DAC chip: ESS ES9038PRO
  • XLR line outputs: yes
  • Remote control: yes

Varying Specs:

• USB: Sabaj D5 & Topping DX7 Pro = XMOS XU-208 // SMSL M500 = XMOS XU-216
  • XLR headphone jack: Sabaj D5 + Topping DX7 Pro only
  • Bluetooth: Topping DX7 Pro only (Bluetooth 5.0 with support for LDAC, AAC, aptX, aptX LL, and aptX HD)
  • MQA: SMSL M500 only
  • Optical input(s): Sabaj D5 (x1) // SMSL M500 (x2) // Topping DX7 Pro (x1)

Dimensions:
  • Sabaj D5: 24.5cm (W) x 21.0cm (D) x 5.0cm (H)
  • SMSL M500: 8.8cm (W) x 19.7cm (D) x 8.5cm (H)
  • Topping DX7 Pro: 22.2cm (W) x 17.8cm (D) x 4.5cm (H)

On to the DAC measurements ........
  • Note: For the SMSL M500 output was measured at 4.3 volt, not the ~4.0 volt of the other two DAC/amps.
  • You can click on each image to enlarge it.

SINAD
Measured using USB in / XLR out. However, the Sabaj D5 measurements were taken after 30 minutes of warm-up.

View attachment 37354

DYNAMIC RANGE

View attachment 37355

JITTER

View attachment 37356

INTERMODULATION + NOISE
A slight "ESS IMD hump" appears in the Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7 Pro units.
  • Note: the SMSL M500 has both the XLR and RCA outs measured.

View attachment 37357

LINEARITY
All three units are capable of 20 bits of resolution.
  • Note: The Topping DX7 Pro only has the XLR out measured; it does not include the RCA out.

View attachment 37358

32 TONE INPUT SIGNAL (192 kHz)

View attachment 37359

THD+N RATIO vs FREQUENCY @ 48 kHZ

View attachment 37360

FFT SPECTRUM OF WHITE NOISE @ 44.1 kHZ
For the DX7 Pro, please note this discussion regarding the filters between @Veri and Amir. As Amir states: "... either the manual or the firmware may be wrong."

View attachment 37361

*Note*: there is now a revised user manual for the DX7 Pro. The original manual -- which is what Amir used -- listed the filters in the wrong order. The new, corrected manual is in the same "Drivers and Documents" section of Topping's website: http://www.tpdz.net/support.html

The following are the headphone amp measurements ...

SIGNAL to NOISE RATIO (50mv | 600 Ohm)
I didn't find this for the Sabaj D5, so only the SMSL M500 and Topping DX7 Pro are pictured.

View attachment 37362

POWER VS. DISTORTION (300 Ohm load)

View attachment 37369

POWER VS. DISTORTION (33 Ohm load)

View attachment 37364

POWER VS. DISTORTION (XLR out using 50 Ohm load)
Only the Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7 Pro are pictured. As Amir mentions in this thread: the M500 does not have an XLR headphone out, so it was not tested.

View attachment 37366

CHANNEL IMBALANCE
I didn't find this for the SMSL M500, so only the Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7 Pro are pictured.

View attachment 37365

OUTPUT IMPEDANCE
I believe Amir has previously stated that his test equipment adds about 0.8-0.9 Ohms? If that's the case you can subtract that amount from each of these measurements.

View attachment 37367

CONCLUSIONS

Sabaj D5

From Amir:

SMSL M500

From Amir:

Topping DX7 Pro

From Amir:

View attachment 37368
Amir:
Thank you for the testing/analysis. The last time I hooked up a stereo was old school gear back in the 70's. I am completely lost in today's high tech stereo world. A million questions, lets start with this.

Speakers
main - Anthony Gallo 3.5 Reference
surround - Anthony Gallo Reference AV
Amps
Sherbourn PT 7030 (Pre/Pro)
Emotiva EPA 5 for surround (Power)
Spectrum Musician III for main front (hifi)

Cheap $200 sony DVD
HP laptop for tidal music
dac magic 100 w/ built in pre amp
cable box
powered bass bin for movies
various under $500 power cords and interconnect

hifi listening (Laptop tidal or lossless format -> dac magic -> spectrum power amp -> main AG speakers)

Took me 4 years to get to this stage. I was buying lossless music, playing it on laptop, via HDMI to pre and onto emotiva power amp. No Bass. My $2000 system sounded better upstairs. Finally bought spectrum amp. still bad. shop owner in sweden told me to get a dac, ditch HDMI and use USB. WOW, great sound.

Now dac magic died!!!

I was contemplating a decent blue-ray with a good dac. But Oppo 205 is going for $5000+. Esoteric is out of my reach and no blueray.

Questions:
1. do you recommend a blueray/dac combo or a dac by itself?
2. if combo, what would you recommend?
3. if dac by itself, I was thinking sabaj D5 (laptop -> sabaj -> power amp -> front main sp) until someone complained the D5 internal pre-amp short changes the entire listening experience. I would hate to run the dac to my pre-amp, since sherbourn/emotiva is in an entirely different league.

Please advise. Many thanz in advance.

Donrua

DonRua

Due to overwhelming ASR member demand (kidding) I thought it would be interesting to compare three high-performing DAC/amp combos: the Sabaj D5 vs. the SMSL M500 vs. the Topping DX7 Pro. Thanks to @amirm for all of the measurements; all of this info is from him (unless otherwise noted), I'm simply putting the measurements side-by-side.

Author's notes:
  • Sabaj --> SMSL --> Topping is simply alphabetical; I'm not implying one is better than the other.
  • All of the graphics are labeled, but to make it consistent: Sabaj D5 is always on the left, SMSL M500 in the middle, Topping DX7 Pro is always on the right.
  • I have no experience with any of these units, nor do I have any perspective on build quality / customer service.
  • If anyone sees errors / omissions please let me know and I will make corrections.
  • If anyone has issues with the measurements or conclusions ...... take it up with Amir! :D

BASIC SPECS
This is not an exhaustive list.

References:

Shared Specs:
  • DAC chip: ESS ES9038PRO
  • XLR line outputs: yes
  • Remote control: yes

Varying Specs:

• USB: Sabaj D5 & Topping DX7 Pro = XMOS XU-208 // SMSL M500 = XMOS XU-216
  • XLR headphone jack: Sabaj D5 + Topping DX7 Pro only
  • Bluetooth: Topping DX7 Pro only (Bluetooth 5.0 with support for LDAC, AAC, aptX, aptX LL, and aptX HD)
  • MQA: SMSL M500 only
  • Optical input(s): Sabaj D5 (x1) // SMSL M500 (x2) // Topping DX7 Pro (x1)

Dimensions:
  • Sabaj D5: 24.5cm (W) x 21.0cm (D) x 5.0cm (H)
  • SMSL M500: 8.8cm (W) x 19.7cm (D) x 8.5cm (H)
  • Topping DX7 Pro: 22.2cm (W) x 17.8cm (D) x 4.5cm (H)

On to the DAC measurements ........
  • Note: For the SMSL M500 output was measured at 4.3 volt, not the ~4.0 volt of the other two DAC/amps.
  • You can click on each image to enlarge it.

SINAD
Measured using USB in / XLR out. However, the Sabaj D5 measurements were taken after 30 minutes of warm-up.

View attachment 37354

DYNAMIC RANGE

View attachment 37355

JITTER

View attachment 37356

INTERMODULATION + NOISE
A slight "ESS IMD hump" appears in the Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7 Pro units.
  • Note: the SMSL M500 has both the XLR and RCA outs measured.

View attachment 37357

LINEARITY
All three units are capable of 20 bits of resolution.
  • Note: The Topping DX7 Pro only has the XLR out measured; it does not include the RCA out.

View attachment 37358

32 TONE INPUT SIGNAL (192 kHz)

View attachment 37359

THD+N RATIO vs FREQUENCY @ 48 kHZ

View attachment 37360

FFT SPECTRUM OF WHITE NOISE @ 44.1 kHZ
For the DX7 Pro, please note this discussion regarding the filters between @Veri and Amir. As Amir states: "... either the manual or the firmware may be wrong."

View attachment 37361

*Note*: there is now a revised user manual for the DX7 Pro. The original manual -- which is what Amir used -- listed the filters in the wrong order. The new, corrected manual is in the same "Drivers and Documents" section of Topping's website: http://www.tpdz.net/support.html

The following are the headphone amp measurements ...

SIGNAL to NOISE RATIO (50mv | 600 Ohm)
I didn't find this for the Sabaj D5, so only the SMSL M500 and Topping DX7 Pro are pictured.

View attachment 37362

POWER VS. DISTORTION (300 Ohm load)

View attachment 37369

POWER VS. DISTORTION (33 Ohm load)

View attachment 37364

POWER VS. DISTORTION (XLR out using 50 Ohm load)
Only the Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7 Pro are pictured. As Amir mentions in this thread: the M500 does not have an XLR headphone out, so it was not tested.

View attachment 37366

CHANNEL IMBALANCE
I didn't find this for the SMSL M500, so only the Sabaj D5 and Topping DX7 Pro are pictured.

View attachment 37365

OUTPUT IMPEDANCE
I believe Amir has previously stated that his test equipment adds about 0.8-0.9 Ohms? If that's the case you can subtract that amount from each of these measurements.

View attachment 37367

CONCLUSIONS

Sabaj D5

From Amir:

SMSL M500

From Amir:

Topping DX7 Pro

From Amir:

View attachment 37368
I just wrote a reply with questions. Now I can't find it. Can someone help this stupid low tech geek pls?

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Amir:
Thank you for the testing/analysis. The last time I hooked up a stereo was old school gear back in the 70's. I am completely lost in today's high tech stereo world. A million questions, lets start with this.

Questions:
2. if combo, what would you recommend?
3. if dac by itself, I was thinking sabaj D5 (laptop -> sabaj -> power amp -> front main sp) until someone complained the D5 internal pre-amp short changes the entire listening experience. I would hate to run the dac to my pre-amp, since sherbourn/emotiva is in an entirely different league.

Please advise. Many thanz in advance.

Donrua

Welcome to ASR. I'll offer up my perspective on your questions:

#1) I would recommend a stand-alone DAC to replace your dead Cambridge DacMagic 100. Almost all modern DACs have the same 3 minimum inputs (USB, coax, and optical) that your DacMagic does. That way you'd have a DAC that could handle both the audio output from a Blu-ray player via coax or optical in as well as the digital music from your laptop via USB.

#3) As for the "[Sabaj] D5 internal pre-amp short changes the entire listening experience" ... that subjective statement doesn't align with Amir's objective measurements. The Sabaj D5 is a top-notch DAC, one of the best Amir has reviewed. I suggest you take a look at this list of DACs that Amir has measured --> (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurement-comparison-charts.8246/#post-207205) Start reading the reviews of the ones listed in blue, bright green, and even olive green. The DACs that measure really well -- not just SINAD, but that's a place to start -- are going to be extremely transparent and basically impossible to distinguish in a level-controlled, blind listening test. That's actually the entire point of this thread in particular: comparing three DACs that have almost identical -- and really strong -- measurements. Once you've identified a chunk of high-performing DACs you can then make a decision based on other factors like: price, features (e.g., Bluetooth), inputs, build quality/warranty, aesthetics, etc.

One thing to keep in mind: this thread is about three DAC + headphone amp combos. I'm not sure you need a DAC/headphone amp combo, you might just need a DAC. Obviously there's not a problem buying something like a Sabaj D5; it'll work great as just a DAC. But you'd be buying extra functionality (the headphone amp section) that you might not need.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheap $200 sony DVD

I was contemplating a decent blue-ray with a good dac. But Oppo 205 is going for $5000+. Esoteric is out of my reach and no blueray.

Questions:
@RickSanchez gave excellent advice.

I'd add a couple points:

- Unless you really need Blu-Ray disc-based video, your Sony DVD player is almost certainly an excellent CD reader and can output to your new DAC for playing CDs. Don't bother with a Blu-Ray player unless your TV can display that quality and you have a good source for Blu-Ray discs.
- These three DACs (with headphone amps included) are all SOTA. I'm not aware of any stand-alone DAC that can match their numbers at a similar price-point. If you have any idea of using headphones you might as well keep that capability. The DX7 Pro also has a very good remote and can serve as a pre-amp with balanced XLR and/or RCA output.
- Otherwise, you can A) save $200 and get a very good DAC without a headphone amp and with slightly worse numbers, although the difference will NOT be audible or B) Wait a month or two as some new SOTA stand-alone DACs are expected to be released in December and January.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
M500 imo is the most attractive among the 3. The price alone and the $50 cut due to today's 11.11 sale makes this DAC very hard to resist. We are living in golden times.

Kane1972

Where is the 11.11 sale on this please? Also, what is this 11.11 sale all about? Black friday is 29.11 right?

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Objectively, no where! But then an honest human confirmation of this would also be appreciated...
The measurements are what make listening confirmation irrelevant, no? Or at least far less important than it would be otherwise.

VeerK

M500 imo is the most attractive among the 3. The price alone and the $50 cut due to today's 11.11 sale makes this DAC very hard to resist. We are living in golden times.

I felt the same way, so I just ordered it during the 11.11 sale, can't wait to get it in hand and pair it with the Monolith 887.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Where is the 11.11 sale on this please? Also, what is this 11.11 sale all about? Black friday is 29.11 right?

Veterans Day?

Alerma

You can get it for just $327 with stackable coupons

US $355.99 11%OFF | SMSL M500 MQA Decoder ES9038PRO ES9311 XMOS XU-208 32bit 768kHz DSD512 Hi-Res Audio DAC Headphone Amp clifier
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/lr8K0y8g

DonRua

Rick:
Thank you for your kind input. I am 99% certain I am going to buy the Sabaj D5. When I bought my speakers, I was contemplating Oppo 105 or 205. Because of my inability to connect properly, I halted any further investment. Now, 205 is going thru the roof.
MY Sweden supplier recommended Auralic Vega G2. I almost bought a pre-owned one because of the 205 "missing out" experience. I am glad I didn't. Because the Sabaj is "schooling" the G2 for less than 10% of the price. Even if it doesn't work out, for $500, I will use it in my other smaller systems.
What is the 1% remaining?
On Oct 02, 2019 - mostresticator indicated the Mac -> Sabaj D5 -> Classe -> B&W was problematic. IN fact, you were involved in that conversation. It is my intention to use the Sabaj in the same manner, as a pre-amp. Other members in the same conversation seemed to have gotten better results.
Thank you in advance.
DonRua

Ps - my university roommate spent many years in Austin when he was with Novatel.

Welcome to ASR. I'll offer up my perspective on your questions:

#1) I would recommend a stand-alone DAC to replace your dead Cambridge DacMagic 100. Almost all modern DACs have the same 3 minimum inputs (USB, coax, and optical) that your DacMagic does. That way you'd have a DAC that could handle both the audio output from a Blu-ray player via coax or optical in as well as the digital music from your laptop via USB.

#3) As for the "[Sabaj] D5 internal pre-amp short changes the entire listening experience" ... that subjective statement doesn't align with Amir's objective measurements. The Sabaj D5 is a top-notch DAC, one of the best Amir has reviewed. I suggest you take a look at this list of DACs that Amir has measured --> (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurement-comparison-charts.8246/#post-207205) Start reading the reviews of the ones listed in blue, bright green, and even olive green. The DACs that measure really well -- not just SINAD, but that's a place to start -- are going to be extremely transparent and basically impossible to distinguish in a level-controlled, blind listening test. That's actually the entire point of this thread in particular: comparing three DACs that have almost identical -- and really strong -- measurements. Once you've identified a chunk of high-performing DACs you can then make a decision based on other factors like: price, features (e.g., Bluetooth), inputs, build quality/warranty, aesthetics, etc.

One thing to keep in mind: this thread is about three DAC + headphone amp combos. I'm not sure you need a DAC/headphone amp combo, you might just need a DAC. Obviously there's not a problem buying something like a Sabaj D5; it'll work great as just a DAC. But you'd be buying extra functionality (the headphone amp section) that you might not need.

DonRua

@RickSanchez gave excellent advice.

I'd add a couple points:

- Unless you really need Blu-Ray disc-based video, your Sony DVD player is almost certainly an excellent CD reader and can output to your new DAC for playing CDs. Don't bother with a Blu-Ray player unless your TV can display that quality and you have a good source for Blu-Ray discs.
- These three DACs (with headphone amps included) are all SOTA. I'm not aware of any stand-alone DAC that can match their numbers at a similar price-point. If you have any idea of using headphones you might as well keep that capability. The DX7 Pro also has a very good remote and can serve as a pre-amp with balanced XLR and/or RCA output.
- Otherwise, you can A) save $200 and get a very good DAC without a headphone amp and with slightly worse numbers, although the difference will NOT be audible or B) Wait a month or two as some new SOTA stand-alone DACs are expected to be released in December and January.

MediumRare
Thanx for the kind input.
Originally I mean to set up my system for duo capabilities, namely, HiFi and Movie Surround 2-in-1.
(2-channel) Source -> Sherbourn PT 7030 (hifi) -> Spectrum Musician III power amp -> AG 3.5 reference
(movie) Source -> Sherbourn PT 7030 -> spectrum amp for front speakers AND -> Emotiva EPA-5 -> remaining surround speakers and bass bin.

Because of my inability to connect to the above, I have basically separated everything into 2 systems.
1. Source -> Dac/pre -> spectrum power amp -> AG 3.5 Ref.
2. Source -> sherbourn pre/pro -> emotiva power amp -> surround speakers.

questions:
1. should I go back to original plan A (2-in-1)? (connecting/calibrating will be an uphill)
2. should I continue to run 2 systems?

I am leaning towards 2 systems. Because of my fear in dealing with complicated wiring. And because I had moderate success with the Dac Magic Plus (just died). So I am looking for a Dac with preamp capability. Would the Sabaj serve the purpose please? Or must I get the DX7 Pro please?

I am sorry for asking questions that are likely too obvious/trivial to the rest of the audience.

Thank you in advance.

DonRua

I do like my steak medium rare, or even straight ahead steak tartare.

VeerK

You can get it for just $327 with stackable coupons

US $355.99 11%OFF | SMSL M500 MQA Decoder ES9038PRO ES9311 XMOS XU-208 32bit 768kHz DSD512 Hi-Res Audio DAC Headphone Amp clifier
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/lr8K0y8g

I got mine from a different seller yesterday, Aoshida HiFi, and they actually went out of their way to beat this price, so thank you Alerma for posting this link!

Cant wait to get this DAC in hand, just purchased the 887 at Monoprice, hopefully both will be coming to me soon. Just need a nice XLR switch/split solution and I’m officially out of the hunt. :)

TC!!

I got mine from a different seller yesterday, Aoshida HiFi, and they actually went out of their way to beat this price, so thank you Alerma for posting this link!

Cant wait to get this DAC in hand, just purchased the 887 at Monoprice, hopefully both will be coming to me soon. Just need a nice XLR switch/split solution and I’m officially out of the hunt. :)
Congrats, bought mine from them for $340 last week, just waiting for it to arrive.

Alerma

Congrats!!!

VeerK

Congrats, bought mine from them for $340 last week, just waiting for it to arrive.

I've already cleaned out a new little corner on my desk for my audio stack and a new headphone stand, the wait now is the worst part.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MediumRare
Thanx for the kind input.
Originally I mean to set up my system for duo capabilities, namely, HiFi and Movie Surround 2-in-1.
(2-channel) Source -> Sherbourn PT 7030 (hifi) -> Spectrum Musician III power amp -> AG 3.5 reference
(movie) Source -> Sherbourn PT 7030 -> spectrum amp for front speakers AND -> Emotiva EPA-5 -> remaining surround speakers and bass bin.

Because of my inability to connect to the above, I have basically separated everything into 2 systems.
1. Source -> Dac/pre -> spectrum power amp -> AG 3.5 Ref.
2. Source -> sherbourn pre/pro -> emotiva power amp -> surround speakers.

questions:
1. should I go back to original plan A (2-in-1)? (connecting/calibrating will be an uphill)
2. should I continue to run 2 systems?

I am leaning towards 2 systems. Because of my fear in dealing with complicated wiring. And because I had moderate success with the Dac Magic Plus (just died). So I am looking for a Dac with preamp capability. Would the Sabaj serve the purpose please? Or must I get the DX7 Pro please?

I am sorry for asking questions that are likely too obvious/trivial to the rest of the audience.

Thank you in advance.

DonRua

I do like my steak medium rare, or even straight ahead steak tartare.
It's a little too complicated for me to give advice without knowing what your back-panel connection options are. My general preference would be to use one output from the source into a preamp and then distribute the signal from there to the two amps. That's a typical bi-amping setup. Alternatively, you might have a pre-out from the first amp to drive the surrounds amp. That's a typical sub-woofer setup. Two source outputs is certainly possible but I don't have any technical insight into the issues that might be related to that.

BTW, the DX7 Pro is now available for $499$516 (edited as off 11/14). But your choice between the three should be based on the features/remote/display menus and possibly headphone power levels. SQ should be identical.

Last edited:

DonRua

It's a little too complicated for me to give advice without knowing what your back-panel connection options are. My general preference would be to use one output from the source into a preamp and then distribute the signal from there to the two amps. That's a typical bi-amping setup. Alternatively, you might have a pre-out from the first amp to drive the surrounds amp. That's a typical sub-woofer setup. Two source outputs is certainly possible but I don't have any technical insight into the issues that might be related to that.

BTW, the DX7 Pro is now available for $499. But your choice between the three should be based on the features/remote/display menus and possibly headphone power levels. SQ should be identical.

Bi-amping was my original intention. But for the life of me I couldn't get any sound out of it. Wrong wiring? Wrong channel? or faulty pre-amp? I will try bi-amping again. If nothing else, I can always separate into 2 systems again.
So is it confirmed Sabaj D5 should not be used as a pre-amp?
I am in western canada. your price x 1.3
Thanx again.

Top Bottom