• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 vs. SMSL M500 vs. Topping DX7 Pro: measurement comparison

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
oh cool - so 6V of the SMSL isn't louder?

Thanks for the help really appreciated!
It might be, but not usefully. The SPL is more likely limited by the excursion of the cones and an increase in distortion to audible levels than in the output of the internal amplifier. It’s conceivable you could have a reduction in hiss from a lower gain setting on you speakers but is there any hiss to worry about?

OP
RickSanchez

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Would be extraordinary to see an examination of the DX7 Pro v. a top earphone amp (Monolith THX 887?). I'd prefer to perceive what extra execution may be gotten at ordinary listening levels (50 mW to 200 mW?), assuming any.

A little bit of apples to oranges, given that the DX7 Pro is a DAC/amp combo and the Monoprice THX 887 is just a headphone amp. That said it's easy to do the comparison on your own: just look at the amp measurements (just below the DAC measurements) of the DX7 Pro and compare them to the amp measurements of the THX 887.

I don't know what your definition of "extra execution" is but when you do the comparison you'll see that:
  • The Monoprice THX 887 has noticeably better SNR.
  • The THX 887 has more power.
  • The THX 887 has excellent output impedance (1.4 Ω) while the DX7 Pro is a bit disappointing at 6.2 Ω.

MalinYamato

A little bit of apples to oranges, given that the DX7 Pro is a DAC/amp combo and the Monoprice THX 887 is just a headphone amp. That said it's easy to do the comparison on your own: just look at the amp measurements (just below the DAC measurements) of the DX7 Pro and compare them to the amp measurements of the THX 887.

I don't know what your definition of "extra execution" is but when you do the comparison you'll see that:
  • The Monoprice THX 887 has noticeably better SNR.
  • The THX 887 has more power.
  • The THX 887 has excellent output impedance (1.4 Ω) while the DX7 Pro is a bit disappointing at 6.2 Ω.
I own the latest version of SMSL D500... I use it with D7200 and Sundara and as my main DAC (XLR outs) to an am, I built myself, that feeds my B&W speakers, instead the DACs of a flagship Marantz. M500 is flawless, small, very cute -- great work of SMSL.

peranders

Regarding the Topping's high output impedance on headphone out courtesy of http://www.ti.com/product/TPA6120A2 ... given that this is a current mode am......

Oh and here have a typical schematic:
https://web.archive.org/web/2004102...audio.com/hifi_files/qrv/qrv07r0schema_p1.pdf

"Audio purists" might note that the typical "low distortion" configuration of a TPA6120A configuration inverts the output.

So if you're one of those people that thinks it matters, hit the "audio invert" switch somewhere upstream :)
I used this option (inverting) just because I wanted to explore that. I'm well aware of that the non-inverting distortion is extremely low and it's a fact that all opamps has ten times lower distortion in inverting mode.

Here you can find some measurements (not done by me) of the QRV09 which is the same as the QRV07 except for size of the pcb.
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/06/qrv09-diy-headphone-amp.html

Top Bottom