• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj D5 vs RME Adi Dac 2

dwkdnvr

I have to say I mulled over this very decision recently, and ended up with the Sabaj D5 for my desktop system. I definitely agree that the RME feels like it is something of an heirloom purchase and you can't really go wrong. I went with the Sabaj because a) it allowed redirecting $$$ to speakers b) primary source will be a PC and so the integrated DSP is less valuable.

I'm also overhauling the living room system, and am going with the MiniDSP SHD - If I didn't need the crossover/bi-amp capability though I likely would have gone with the RME in that situation.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Does the Sabaj have a variable line out? Is the volume control digital?

dwkdnvr

Does the Sabaj have a variable line out? Is the volume control digital?

Variable line out - yes ( I'm using it as a dac/pre straight into my Neurochrome Mod-86 via the XLR outs), and I assume it's likely digital-domain but not entirely sure.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They could probably add the room correction via firmware update, especially to the Pro version with AD capabilities...?

OP
florence

florence

Well, I got in touch with @SMSL-Mandy to buy Sabaj D5 but no response yet. Maybe I should wait for a bit more to get Adi Dac 2 even though it's 2x price of Sabaj. I don't know. But I know a thing, there is no competition between these two companies as a after sale support power. When you google RME, there are lots of information on different forums if there is a problem with the unit. However, on the other side, there is just little info about Sabaj d5 from three or so forum reviews. That's all.

The other thing I figured, no need to pay 2x if I'm after a DAC standalone. By the way, when I connect my idsd micro bl to kgsshv electrostatic amp and switch to direct dac, xbass and 3d functions get disabled. If I choose RME, does the unit allow me to play with parametric EQ when connected to my amp?

OP
florence

florence

What does this message mean?
"Awaiting approval before being displayed publicly."

@amirm

Also, my messages doesn't show up in my profile or in this category. Is this kind of protection of a potential troll or something? How could we help each other if the messages get hidden?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, to try to answer original question:
If all devices perform well enough, choice comes to cost, functionalities and other factors.

RME DAC, as an example, as a set of unique functionalities, like DSP time correction or loudness "compensation", the remote control, the bit perfect check,...
They also offer a great look, a long known company guarantee, CE certification,...
Others will have another set of benefits (or some question marks instead).

That's the beauty (and excitation) of life: all choices are ultimately yours :)

Kane1972

In the case of sonic superiority, yes. Once measurements get to a certain point (and the $9 Apple dongle is at that point!), the differences lie elsewhere. If someone tells you that DAC A sounds much better than DAC B, I will almost guarantee you that their evaluation was not done blind and level matched, and is hence worthless. And yes, there is much money wasted chasing fairy tales, and that's the value of independent measurement rather than relying on unsupported but confidently stated opinions.

There's often some differences in the headphone amplifier portion, though, and here we might want to explore a bit more deeply.
So is there any reason for this website to even exist then? If all DAC's have reached the point where we can't hear a difference, then the objective measurements are worthless. In fact, manufacturing new chips is worthless as they already make chips that sound as good as we can hear.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If all DAC's have reached the point where we can't hear a difference, then the objective measurements are worthless. In fact, manufacturing new chips is worthless as they already make chips that sound as good as we can hear.
Well, not exactly.
Quite a few DAC are just not up to the task.
Or way too expensive for the (questionnable) benefit they actually propose.
And as for headphone amps and so on, there are significant (probably audible) differences.
This is still worth testing, isn't it?

Kane1972

Well, not exactly.
Quite a few DAC are just not up to the task.
Or way too expensive for the (questionnable) benefit they actually propose.
And as for headphone amps and so on, there are significant (probably audible) differences.
This is still worth testing, isn't it?
I was following SIY's logic. He says even $9 Apple DAC is at the quality point where it will sound as good as anything else, so if he's right, it's hard to believe that there is any DAC being manufactured that is not up to the task.

I don't belive what he says btw. I do think DAC's can sound better than others, but i do belive the differences are small. I think all modern DAC's sound acceptible.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So is there any reason for this website to even exist then? If all DAC's have reached the point where we can't hear a difference, then the objective measurements are worthless. In fact, manufacturing new chips is worthless as they already make chips that sound as good as we can hear.

All engineered DACs. As can be seen by the reviews, many products were apparently "designed" rather than "engineered." Thankfully, measurements by third parties with the right gear and no commercial interests in touting crap products like the reviews here (and my own reviews) can steer people toward choices among transparent and good performing products and away from the junk.

Likewise, the headphone amp sections vary wildly in quality, and measurement is important in helping give people the data they need to make an informed choice.

edit: "it's hard to believe that there is any DAC being manufactured that is not up to the task. " But there are. Especially the ones where the "story" is more important than trifles like performance.

HLee

I don't believe I can recognize any differences in digital-analog converting process of two decent products.
(Except asynchronous master clock supply)
Difference may exist in the analog outout area. Output impedence? quality of opamp or circuit?

digicidal

Major Contributor

Plus the argument would have to be made that more information isn't better when considering gear - which is a very hard argument to make. If for no other reason than standing as a counter-point to all of the subjective review sites that only provide 4 pages of "listening prose" - ASR is an important resource to have. There are more reasons to want to include measurements other than audible difference (as @SIY already indicated) in quantifying the engineering excellence displayed (or lack thereof).

For example, if a DAC employing a chip spec'd to -122dB SINAD (like the ES9038PRO) is shown in the implementation to measure at -96dB. The performance as implemented is most likely inaudible compared to a different model which hits almost the full value of the chip - but it does indicate that the engineers were either cutting costs elsewhere or weren't competent in some other area (board layout, PSU isolation, component selection, etc).

chriskilbourn

The ADI-2 Pro is German and laughs at your attempts to discover all it's features and use them correctly without reading the manual first due to its complex menu structure.

RTFM at its finest.

Which is why I love mine.
I have one and I absolutely hate how terrible the UX is. I read the manual and still find it to be so damn annoying to use. Also not sure why it doesn’t come with a remote. That’s such a pain in the ass if you mount it to a rack that’s across the room. So, I’m returning mine and getting the non-Pro with a remote for less.

Top Bottom